What's new

Fruitcake

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I will pass on Fruit Cake.🤮
I think most people that have this reaction have never had good, quality fruitcake. Especially after they’re soaked in Rum (the fruitcake, not the person). I like @TexLaw idea of soaking it with Grand Marnier. I’m heading to Costco tomorrow to see if any are available.

Last edited:
I think most people that have this reaction have never had good, quality fruitcake. Especially after they’re soaked in Rum (the fruitcake, not the person). I like @TexLaw idea of soaking it with Grand Marlier. I’m heading to Costco tomorrow to see if any are available.

I like whiskey on fruit cake and pecan pie especially,
but on all cakes and pies and pastries and with cookies, generally.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I didn't need to know that. I already need to drop some weight. Their birthday cakes are great, too, and an insane value.

Most people who talk about hating fruitcake have either never had a good one or tried it only once when they were too young to like anything but macaroni and cheese.
Unfortunately, scalpers go in and buy these up and then sell them at inflated prices on Amazon and eBay.
But if you can get some, it's well worth the effort.
There's barely enough cake to hold all the fruit and nuts in it together.

fruitcake6.jpg

71zxX1XOrXL._SL1600_.jpg

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Love fruitcake.
Costco makes a fruitcake that I would willingly do battle in an arena to eat.

I'll need pictures. I was in our local (Canadian) Costco yesterday, and was looking at their fruitcakes. Missed 'em last year so I made a note for this year. I wasn't quite sure about it -- I thought it looked like a sticky cake. I also had the thought that maybe different bakeries in different countries might have a divergent fruitcake ethic.

I didn't pick one up. Not because of my uncertanties, which are easily addressed. Rather, I made ten pounds of fruitcake this week and I'm not sure whether a towering 3-pounder is needed. But, since the homemade ones are still "curing" I'll need something to power the festive mood until mid-December. Probably I'll haul one home the next time I'm in town. Don't have to eat it all in one go, after all.

There is that little voice in my head that reminds me I have a collection of probably 100 recipes for fruitcake. Could be in the kitchen doing that...

O.H.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I just love fruitcake. Relatives would send me the unwanted ones they got, and then order more as gifts for me.

What they found was that the religious orders made the best ones for purchase. I guess the monks have a lot of spare time on their hands.

The more booze it's soaked in, the better.

We had one neighbor about 40 years ago who made his own. He would spend nearly a year "soaking" his before serving it. Rum and brandy, and some other spirit he wouldn't say. You couldn't get near it with a lit cigarette. Delicious.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Costco didn’t produce any fruitcakes last year, still waiting to see if they’re going to do it this year. Their website lists Collin Street Bakery cakes but that’s it. May still be a little too early.

Another fruit cake addict here. I’ve currently got a fruit cake from the local farm shop on the go, and a Botham’s Yorkshire Brack and Plum Loaf standing by.
I prefer the Brack on it‘s own, and the plum loaf with butter, but both can be eaten with cheese.
The bride cake recipe is from 1769 and must have been some cake.

Attachments

• IMG_5958 3.jpg
    IMG_5958 3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5959.jpg
    IMG_5959.jpg
    765.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5960 3.jpg
    IMG_5960 3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5962 2.jpg
    IMG_5962 2.jpg