What's new

Perfect Albums

Perfect for any time of the day.
IMG_0011.jpeg

View attachment 1735925
Goat’s Head Soup. Not many in my circle share my view, however, I absolutely love this LP.
I like this album better than I did when it first came out. It just did not seem nearly as good as the 3 to 5 albums that came before. It has great cuts on it. Angie. Star, Star. For some reason I love Coming Down, especially the harmony vocal, even though some of the lyrics seem bad. But Dancing with Mr. D seems really contrived to me. Heartbreaker, too. The rest of the album seems pretty good. I think Lester Bangs, my favorite ever rock critic, had a good review of this album.

The White Album is up there on most lists
I think I have said on this forum that I would like it better cut down to a single rather than double album. There are songs that are as good as any Beatles songs, such as Guitar Gently Weeps. Maybe something like Julia. But it has lots of songs I don't like much. Ob La Di Ob La Da. Buffalo Bill. Rocky Racoon. Revolution No. 9. Wild Honey Pie. Birthday. Even Back in the USSR. I think Good Night has lost its appeal to me.
I like all of those songs. I think the White Album makes the cut for me.

I like this album better than I did when it first came out. It just did not seem nearly as good as the 3 to 5 albums that came before. It has great cuts on it. Angie. Star, Star. For some reason I love Coming Down, especially the harmony vocal, even though some of the lyrics seem bad. But Dancing with Mr. D seems really contrived to me. Heartbreaker, too. The rest of the album seems pretty good. I think Lester Bangs, my favorite ever rock critic, had a good review of this album.
I like Lester Bangs! This LP grew and grew on me. Coming Down Again is a ripping track. Heartbreaker to s my favourite. For me, this one is the last truly great Stones album.

I like all of those songs. I think the White Album makes the cut for me.
I have to give you props on this one. Seriously, if you like both John and Paul's biggest excesses, it is a great album for you. I find myself much more tolerate of John than of Paul, that is my own quirk. But I just can't think about listening Revolution No. 9.

Good discussion.

As a fan of the pre-Sgt Pepper Beatles, and first seeing A Hard Days Night on the Steel Pier in Atlantic City in the summer of 1964, the soundtrack from that film is my perfect Beatles album.

As a fan of the pre-Sgt Pepper Beatles, and first seeing A Hard Days Night on the Steel Pier in Atlantic City in the summer of 1964, the soundtrack from that film is my perfect Beatles album.
I would say that that is fair, except three out of the eleven cuts are instrumentals that overlap with the eight non-instrumental cuts. The non-instrumental cuts are not [note the edit!] my very favorite Beatles cuts, but I would say each one is really quite good. I do not think folks often think of this as a great album, but it pretty much is.

Last edited:

Jan Johansson's Jazz på Svenska from 1964

My understanding is that the only other Jazz record that has sold as well as this one, is Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" from 1959

... and in a different ball-park:
Nina Hagen's eponymous debut album from the late 1970s fully qualifies as a "perfect" album.
This German punk band kicks ***! Opened my eyes for new wave in earnest. No, it's not her voice in its own right that's fantastic (though that too is something else..! She was actually an opera singer). Rather, it's the Band ...
Hagen was a perfectionist, her band is truly a stunning rock band ....!

Last edited:
I like Lester Bangs! This LP grew and grew on me. Coming Down Again is a ripping track. Heartbreaker to s my favourite. For me, this one is the last truly great Stones album.
Jason of the Tastes of Music folks just ranked Heartbreaker as his top Stones song.

I love the above type of "problem":
Is the Gold Standard for performing Rachmaninoff's piano concertos the ones performed with Rachmaninoff himself by the piano ..?
In some sense, they must by definition be "perfect", and yet, the genius of performance is somehow always beyond the composer and composition.

I would say that that is fair, except three out of the eleven cuts are instrumentals that overlap with the eight non-instrumental cuts. The non-instrumental cuts are not [note the edit!] my very favorite Beatles cuts, but I would say each one is really quite good. I do not think folks often think of this as a great album, but it pretty much is.
The British release of that LP on Parlophone might well qualify as the perfect Beatles album for those enamoured of their early sound. It contains all seven songs used in the film on side one and another six contemporary numbers on side two that are indicative of the high quality output of the band at that time.
United Artists (not Capitol) in the U.S. had the rights to release the soundtrack album, but only those songs licensed for use in the film. That included all seven songs appearing in the film as well as "I'll Cy Instead which was early on intended for use and licensed but dropped during production. It appears on the UK LP as well.
"I'll Be Back" and "You Can't Do That" were also intended for but not used in the film. They appear on side two of the UK LP but not on the U.A. album. Finally, "I Call Your Name" was also intended for the film but does not appear on either LP.
United Artists filled out the album with instrumental orchestral music from the film arranged and conducted by Beatles producer George Martin. These tracks take the album out of contention for a "perfect album," for all but diehards of the film or soundtrack.
The UK version is available to-day in nearly all markets and represents the format and output intended and approved by the Beatles themselves. So, best to get the Parlophone version, especially as it's now considered "canon."

and another six contemporary numbers on side two
Good to know. I like the cuts listed for side two of the UK version as much or more than the cuts on side on. The UL version is an excellent album, then. There is not a cut on it that I would not consider at least very good.

There are a few albums I always marvel at how every track is amazing.
Nilsson Schmilsson
The Who Who's Next
Steel Dan Aja
The Band self titled
Green Day Dookie
The Kinks Give The People What They Want

Top Bottom