What's new

Titanium razor handles? Good or bad?

I have a couple of razor heads without handles and I have a couple of handles that just don't work well for me.

I have been looking at the DsCosmetics Ti Destroyer and KVT handles for something with a bit of girth and length. Being a bit light, I think they would work well on a Yaqi Excalibur head which would make me really happy. The balance with a couple of my Zamack-headed razors would probably be good too.

Are the Titanium handles from DsCosmetics really worth ~$30 compared to the ~$20 Stainless versions from Razorocks and others? I'm not really into the DsCosmetics knock-offs but, their Ti handles seem to be a bit unique even though they appear to be modeled after Razorock options.

TIA,
Sid

I will add that I have a Yaqi 12mm handle with one of my razors that is literally painful to use, like chopsticks. I can do fine for a short while but, after that movements become more painful with continued use. I think this is mainly due to years of overuse and repetitive stress in a "cube farm" because my dexterity with chopsticks is very good before my hand cramps up.

Depending on the razor, I prefer titanium because of the lighter weight compared to stainless steel, if the handle dimensions are the same. I prefer a lighter razor than a heavier one, so even my preferred modern razors are titanium. I feel I get a better shave with titanium along with the lighter weight feels better in my hand. I even have a few stainless steel razors that I've switched out the handles & use titanium handles with them. But the next person may come along & say they like a heavier razor so they can feel like they are wielding a tool that a stainless steel razor, or just handle, can provide. Or they like the heft & how it balances in their hand. Hows that for a non-answer?!!!

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I actually bought a few handles from Dscosmetics.
Found that they were often over polished so that they lost their grip.

Also, one or two arrived with a lot of metal debris left in the threads that had to be cleaned out on their own.
There is also a bottom of the handle that is not ground flat and must be processed again by yourself.

So I feel that Dscosmetics price is higher than quality, maybe some people receive a good product, but it really needs luck to buy.

If you want a Ti handle, I'd recommend getting the Timeless Crown. I got two scratch and dent and I use them with lots of different heads. It looked a little weird to me at first, but in the hand it is perfect. Spend a tiny bit more now and get something you'll want to use forever.

Last edited:
The best Ti handles I have used…

Timeless Crown - fantastic grip, perfect balance

Carbon CX Ti R2 - probably the best handle I have ever used for grip and weight, but needs a super light head

Chiseled Face - both the industrial and the Imperial handles are phenomenal. The pineapple twist and herringbone are also quite grippy. It is slightly shorter than my preference (90mm).

These are things I have owned and love. Expensive but quality…

I hardly ever use anything other than titanium handles on my 3-piece razors. I have a variety from different manufacturers including the excellent Dscosmetic THT, Timeless Ti Crown and, being patriotic, almost every model from Windrose here in the UK.

I can not tell you percentage of SS to TI weight difference. But it is like 45-65% depending on product & size.

Own no Ti or SS Razors, just Vintage.

Ti is stronger & lighter then some SS alloys.

Ti threading is not as strong or as good as stainless steel threading. In terms of sheer strength, if that matters on a razor handle, something is seriously wrong with life in general, at least in my world.

Never having tried one, I can't say if they're good or bad. But they are expensive. IMNSHO, steel brass, or aluminum handles make more sense for my use.

I pay more attention to the knurling and gripability of the handles I buy.

If you like a Ti handle for its light weight and a head-heavy balance you can achieve the same effect with the aluminum handle and Zamak or steel head of the Lord L6 or L5, each for less than $8.

Is there no problem using titanium handles on stainless steel heads? I have a stainless steel blackbird on a Razorock Halo titanium handle, I call it my Blackbird SB Halo. Should I be worried about galvanic corrosion? Does steel go well with titanium if they are combined? Thanks for any information.

I picked up the DSCosmetics THT and KVT, the polish work is nice. They’re on sale right now. FWIW the knurling is not as grippy as the Razorock HD/Bulldog/Super Knurl.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I only have 1 titanium razor, its my Timeless TI95. When it comes to choosing a handle, the only reason why a person would want a titanium handle, is to reduce the weight, thats pretty much the only defining quality for me. But of course Timeless only makes the Crown handle in titanium, so there's that too I suppose. The Crown handle looks gorgeous, has awesome knurling too, so you can get a quality grip with it, and it won't be like the Futur, where it gives you the slip.

Now, I find, when it comes to the head of the razor, that being made of titanium, has more value to me then simply weight reduction or looks. There is something about the way that titanium feels on the skin, it just feels so soft! I could be wrong, but it always felt like the alloy of titanium, contributed, even however a small amount to, the smoothness of that razors glide.

In regards to weight, titanium is usually seen as the goldilocks point, because the weight is inbetween aluminum, and stainless steel. So if your somebody who doesn't like the super light weight of aluminum, nor the higher weight of stainless steel, titanium might indeed be a viable option for you. But just make sure you really want it first, cause anything titanium is more expensive then any of the other metal alloy's.

Top Bottom