What's new

Let's talk about Spam

I laughed at people that ate Spam...until I met my wife who is from Maui, so now I love it. I eat it but it has to be very cooked with a nice browned crust. As it gets old and soggy, I pass on it. Here is a local favorite called Spam Musubi which is seaweed wrapped around a slab of Spam sandwiched in rice with Japanese seasoning. It is a very satisfying snack or quick meal. The picture of the grocery store is on Maui and you can see some varieties that are not offered here on the mainland. The local Costco has pallets of the stuff!

Hawaii is known as the capital of Spam consumption with the highest per capita consumption of the canned meat in the world!

IMG_2312.JPG
IMG_5901.JPG

Last edited:
I saw that this thread about SPAM had no SPAM reactions yet so I went ahead and SPAMed this and the previous couple of pages, with the best possible intentions of course. Hope you all don't mind.

Going to have to try some SPAM again soon. Haven't had it for decades. The OP should get some bonus points for mentioning Postum in his first post as well.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I laughed at people that ate Spam...until I met my wife who is from Maui, so now I love it. I eat it but it has to be very cooked with a nice browned crust. As it gets old and soggy, I pass on it. Here is a local favorite called Spam Musubi which is seaweed wrapped around a slab of Spam sandwiched in rice with Japanese seasoning. It is a very satisfying snack or quick meal. The picture of the grocery store is on Maui and you can see some varieties that are not offered here on the mainland. The local Costco has pallets of the stuff!

View attachment 1685398 View attachment 1685401
I'm dying to try that Tocino Spam, but it's hard to find CONUS.

Hawaii is known as the capital of Spam consumption with the highest per capita consumption of the canned meat in the world!

View attachment 1685398 View attachment 1685401

Wow, Spam heaven. I'd grab one of each.

I agree that it must be fried crispy on the outside and eaten warm, and admit that I won't touch the stuff cold or right from the can.

Wow, Spam heaven. I'd grab one of each.

I agree that it must be fried crispy on the outside and eaten warm, and admit that I won't touch the stuff cold or right from the can.
Raw Spam is not pretty. My father-in-law would drink the juice from the can of Libby's Vienna sausages. I could not bear to watch.

Here is the Kahului Costco, an entire aisle, well stocked!

IMG_5902.JPG
IMG_5903.JPG

Last edited:
Raw Spam is not pretty. My father-in-law would drink the juice from the can of Libby's Vienna sausages. I could not bear to watch.

Here is the Kahului Costco, an entire aisle, well stocked!

View attachment 1685858 View attachment 1685859
That’s funny drinking the sausage juice. 😄 a few years back we went to Maui for vacation. My boys are in 4-H so I reached out to a 4-H club in Maui. We participated in a beach cleanup and they provided snacks. No spam but they had a big box of vienna sausages. I hadn’t had any in years so I had one. hit the spot on a hot humid day But I didn’t drink the juice. 😄

Ended up with cases of gallon cans after a hurricane in the 1972 and gallon cans of grape jelly. peanut butter, green beans and corn.

Had spam every imaginable way.

A local place makes ground spam burgers and always sells out.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I like the Hickory flavor, the wife and kids like the 3 spicy versions, Jalapeno, Tabasco and Sriracha. They also have BBQ, Teriyaki, Black Pepper, Bacon and a few more I can't remember. It's not your Grandpa's spam anymore.
Bacon flavored spam aka pig flavored pig

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
It was rumored that Sir Kringlebert Fistybuns, First Earl of Spamfordshire created the Spam Wellington in the early 1990's when his Chef called in dead mere hours before an important dinner party. The foie gras pâté was made, the mushrooms had been duxelled, the pastry was ready to puff, and the sauce bordelaise was burnt.

It's as elegant and inappropriate a centerpiece today as it was on the day it was created.

2023-08-07 16_30_22-Spam Hacks_ 12+ Things to Do with SPAM.png

Top Bottom