What's new

Confession Time....I've Never Used a Brush

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Seven years of straight shaving and I've never used a brush. Instead I just apply Cremo with my fingers. Am I missing out on any thing?

I really don't have the room for a bowl and brush and I'm always pressed for time and don't want to slow down my current process that I'm pleased with. I don't see much information on what a brush and bowl brings to the process other than maybe the pleasures of hot lather. Please fill me in.

Legion

Staff member
Do what works for you.

I face lather, so all I need is a brush, a mug to soak it in (I use a vintage Old Spice mug), and a shave stick. While the brush is soaking in the mug I rub the soap on my face, then lather it up with the damp, warm brush.

The brush and soap would fit in the mug, so it all really doesn't take up more room in the bathroom cabinet than a small coffee cup.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
I could pull off a pretty good cattle mutilation with a blow torch and a salt shaker......

I did exactly that for years when I wore a tight cropped beard and shaved the cheeks and under the jaw. Once I started shaving my whole face again I started experimenting with brushes and soaps, the Cremo didn't seem to last as long as I'd like.

If you ever do get bit by the brush bug you can make a really nice lather with Cremo by adding a few drops of water.

Seven years of straight shaving and I've never used a brush. Instead I just apply Cremo with my fingers. Am I missing out on any thing?

I really don't have the room for a bowl and brush and I'm always pressed for time and don't want to slow down my current process that I'm pleased with. I don't see much information on what a brush and bowl brings to the process other than maybe the pleasures of hot lather. Please fill me in.
I do both.
I'm a huge fan of Cremo and use it at least once a week, often more. I have it in Original and Bourbon & Vanilla scents. It's easier, faster and amazingly slick, as you know. It always provide a great shave.
Having said that, I also enjoy whipping up a nice, creamy, rich lather and applying it to my face. Yeah, it can be a little time-consuming but I do derive a lot of pleasure from doing it right with a good soap.
I'm retired so time isn't usually a consideration for me.
I look forward to shaving (almost) every morning. I like having the option of taking the time to lather up or choosing Cremo to prep my face for a good shave. There isn't a right or wrong way. Both work beautifully.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
JCarr, thanks for the tip on Lucky Tiger. If I can find some I'll try it! I suppose I should try a brush for informational purposes. Until I read your post I didn't think anything could top Cremo.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
JCarr, thanks for the tip on Lucky Tiger. If I can find some I'll try it! I suppose I should try a brush for informational purposes. Until I read your post I didn't think anything could top Cremo.

You bet! I can't take credit. Another member in another thread recommended it. I decided to give it a try and I was amazed at how good it was. Keep in mind, I use it as a pre-shave as I did with Cremo before it. Bes of luck with whichever product you choose. They're both good.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I used Gillette foam & then Gel for close to 35 years with just my hands and it worked with my cartridge razors.
Then I got into traditional wet shaving and started using a boar, then synthetics and finally some badger brushes and to be honest there is something about a brush that is better than the hand IMO. I will still smear some lather by hand for a pickup missed when shaving but if your into scents and have the time to mix a nice lather in a bowl or face lather that is different and rewarding for myself.(If your in a hurry foam or gel will take less time for preparing and clean up to get you out the door. Synthetic brushes take less maintenance and dry quicker also if you decide to try a brush + I can make a nice lather in 1-2 minutes with a brush.)
A brush can have like thousands of soft hairs massaging your face and cleaning it and the face feel is just different from stiff to a luxury feeling to the skin depending on the scrub a person desires, some folks like to scrub and others like to paint lather !

As others have written, if it works for you and you're satisfied with it that's all that matters. But if you're wanting a change, a brush would only take up something like two to four square inches (depending on the bloom of the knot) of floor space max. No need for a bowl. Either another cream or a soap would take as much or a little more space than the Cremo.

Lots of folks like face-lathering, but my personal preference is for palm-lathering with a brush. It really allows me to focus on the quality of the lather before applying it to my face and allows for smaller knots and cheaper "prickly" pure badger knots as the nerves of my palm are not nearly as sensitive as the nerves on my face.

As for a good starter combination in this case, the options are endless. I'll fight the temptation to elaborate on what works for me here as we are in the Straight-Razor section. Such a subject is more germane to sections like shaving brushes, creams, or soaps IMO.

On the very rare occasions I use cream, I'll just rub it in and massage it around with my fingers, maybe splash a bit of water in if the consistency is wrong.

I'm a soap user 99% of the time, and that, of course, requires a brush.

I must admit I do love a brush.
Yaqi make a great 24mm Silvertip badger knot with a mysterious blue handle for about £25.
Life’s too short not to give it a go.
For me there’s something very right about the whole traditional warm brush making a face lather experience.

Back when shaving was a chore, not a “pamper myself” hobby, I never used a brush. Perfectly fine.

I can’t imagine not using a brush now, because it’s such a pleasure. But in a pinch, no problem.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Have a look at www.whippeddog.com and check out Larry's rather nice and very inexpensive silvertip badger brushes. He happily sets the knot deeper for those who want more backbone, on request, or sets it "normally", which holds more of the good stuff. My daily driver is his long handle 30mm monster, and I love that brush, and it cost, compared to the big name brushes, chimp change. Then you need a thrift store crockery mug, and a puck of soap, extra points for meltable soap, points off for Williams. A shave stick works okay, too. Arko is as cheap as it gets and lathers nicely. Doesn't have a pretty smell, but the aroma dies away in minutes, so you don't go around smelling like a freshly unwrapped urinal cake. There are nicer soaps and creams, to be sure. I like Proraso, Cella, and Godrej Rich Lather. Also a plug for my cousin who makes Central Texas Soaps. I don't think he sells direct anymore due to the volume of sales taking up too much of his hunting and fishing time, but Pasteur carries several of his scents such as Central Texas Soaps Incense & Oud Shave Soap 5 Oz – Pasteur Pharmacy - https://pasteurshaving.com/product/central-texas-soaps-incense-oud-shave-soap-5-oz/. Good stuff, and cheaper than the high end stuff.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Obviously you don't need a brush. I find working the lather with a brush very enjoyable, so you might be missing something - or not. The only way you're going to find out is to get a brush.

You can get a synthetic brush for around $15 and you won't need a bowl.

For crying out loud, man, you are just messing about until you have a proper brush collection - get started!

Top Bottom