What's new

New Zealand bans smoking for birth years 2009 and up

Status
Not open for further replies.

I still believe in freedom of choice for responsible adults. This is a development and mode of thinking that is wrong in so many ways aside from the matter at hand and general political left/right standpoints. It makes for a bleak future for whatever controversial topic you can think off in todays society.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member

I still believe in freedom of choice for responsible adults. This is a development and mode of thinking that is wrong in so many ways aside from the matter at hand and general political left/right standpoints. It makes for a bleak future for whatever controversial topic you can think off in todays society.
I think that if this works get ready to see it everywhere that has a public health system. The governments will justify banning tobacco products due to the healthcare costs associated with its use. It’s either ban the tobacco that 8% of the population uses or raise taxes on the entire population to help pay for the 8% healthcare.

lasta

Blade Biter
I think that if this works get ready to see it everywhere that has a public health system. The governments will justify banning tobacco products due to the healthcare costs associated with its use. It’s either ban the tobacco that 8% of the population uses or raise taxes on the entire population to help pay for the 8% healthcare.
Depends on where haha.

Here in China, the government has a monopoly on tobacco. They probably make more selling cigarettes than collecting taxes.

Back in Canada though, one look at a cig pack is enough to make one quit right there.

Fat
Sugar
Salt
Alcohol
Red meat

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
The best way to get a young person to do something is to tell them they can't.

Lemme know how that works out for them.
I wonder how they’re planning on enforcing it. Are they going to put “young” people in jail for smoking?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Uh... 2009 means 13 years old.
I personally don't have an issue with making 18 - 21 a requirement, but that's me and I don't run any governments policy.
Most everywhere there were minimum purchase ages in place, and it was illegal to buy tobacco for a minor, so this just closes a silly loophole.
How could a 13 year old smoke if:
1. They couldn't legally buy tobacco
2. An of age person couldn't legally give or sell it to them

Uh... 2009 means 13 years old.
I personally don't have an issue with making 18 - 21 a requirement, but that's me and I don't run any governments policy.
Most everywhere there were minimum purchase ages in place, and it was illegal to buy tobacco for a minor, so this just closes a silly loophole.
How could a 13 year old smoke if:
1. They couldn't legally buy tobacco
2. An of age person couldn't legally give or sell it to them
No no, the minimum age will be increased every year. A today 13 year old will never be able to legally buy tobacco products in the future. So in 40 years time you will have to proof that your are at least 54 years old…

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
No no, the minimum age will be increased every year. A today 13 year old will never be able to legally buy tobacco products in the future. So in 40 years time you will have to proof that your are at least 54 years old…
Ahhh, I see. Thank you for the clarification.
Yes, that seems a bit ambitious.
The nice thing about laws is that they can be changed, when people finally feel they've had enough babysitting.
If I was going to eliminate a product which is legal virtually everywhere, this is the exact way I would do it.
If you can get the "well, it doesn't affect me personally, so I don't care" crowd on board - you're golden.

A quote comes to mind:

"Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me."

Martin Niemöller’s poem was written just after the Holocaust, and he was arguing against an apathetic "don't care" attitude. Though the words are a specific reference to the Holocaust, it also bears truth as a warning about what a government or authority can do at present or in the future.

High Fat foods. Sugary foods. Alcohol. Risky hobbies such as sky diving or motorcycle riding.
The possibilities are endless. But, each only affects a small group at a time.

Ahhh, I see. Thank you for the clarification.
Yes, that seems a bit ambitious.
The nice thing about laws is that they can be changed, when people finally feel they've had enough babysitting.
If I was going to eliminate a product which is legal virtually everywhere, this is the exact way I would do it.
If you can get the "well, it doesn't affect me personally, so I don't care" crowd on board - you're golden.

A quote comes to mind:

"Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me."

Martin Niemöller’s poem was written just after the Holocaust, and he was arguing against an apathetic "don't care" attitude. Though the words are a specific reference to the Holocaust, it also bears truth as a warning about what a government or authority can do at present or in the future.

High Fat foods. Sugary foods. Alcohol. Risky hobbies such as sky diving or motorcycle riding.
The possibilities are endless. But, each only affects a small group at a time.
I believe this is also to test the waters. They argue with only 8% and huge savings so most people will nod along. Going after fat/sugar/alcohol you will have much higher savings to bring to the argument AND a precedent that is already in place.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
My health insurance provider will not pay for spinal fusion surgery if you test positive for nicotine. Testing is 2 weeks prior, 1 week prior and the day of the surgery.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I’m not versed in Anglo-Saxon law but under current EU regulations I don’t believe it would fly. All men are equal before the law and such. This creates a kind of 2 class society where some are basically discriminated by birth…
Well, if you could get a very vocal minority to talk it up, and get social and other media outlets to quash disagreement, almost anything is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom