What's new

Just like Grampa used to shave

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
LOL! Yes. I think we just watched it last week. I'd bet my wife would remember the Title!
I was joking because Hallmark basically churns out 100 shows with 5 basic plots for Christmas. Don't get me wrong, I still watch a few with the wife, but we joke about it a bit.

Did you see the episode of Hogans Heroes where Hogan and his men pull the wool over Klink's Eyes?

Did you see the episode of Gilligan's Island where they almost get rescued but Gilligan screws it up?

Did you see the action movie where the detective has to turn in his gun and badge and is told to take leave and not work on the case, but works it and solves it anyway? ... or the one where the detective gets a rookie partner and is forced to work with the partner?

That's the road I was going down with my Hallmark comments.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I was joking because Hallmark basically churns out 100 shows with 5 basic plots for Christmas. Don't get me wrong, I still watch a few with the wife, but we joke about it a bit.

Did you see the episode of Hogans Heroes where Hogan and his men pull the wool over Klink's Eyes?

Did you see the episode of Gilligan's Island where they almost get rescued but Gilligan screws it up?

Did you see the action movie where the detective has to turn in his gun and badge and is told to take leave and not work on the case, but works it and solves it anyway? ... or the one where the detective gets a rookie partner and is forced to work with the partner?

That's the road I was going down with my Hallmark comments.
I thought you were pullin' my leg, but I'm not lyin', the other night we watched one and the female lead was a literary critic and the male lead was a writer, first book huge, next book a disappointment, and he's currently constipated on his third book!

I'm going to write a book for my son. He's been 22 years old for 15 minutes now!

Poor kid. I had heart surgery just after he turned six, so he's always waiting for me to die, I'm afraid. So I want to write my stories down and he'll assume I'm nuts and I can be truthful, and he'll figure it's fiction because he knows I ain't right in the head.

FarmerTan

Wait. Is this true? If so, I’ll add you to my prayers and have a mass said for you (no greater prayer than the holy sacrifice of the mass).
Thank you. It's been coming on so long I'll probably be dead before it hits full stride.

I have found it to be a great excuse for my (occasional) bad behavior!

I've been following a thread started by @FaceScraper about using used soaps. Yes, I'm aware that the end of that last sentence sounds awkward. And that got me to thinking about another thread in which someone was worried about getting anthrax from a used, all bent up brush. Which got me to thinking how big a sissy my old dad would think of me worrying about such things, and how stupid he'd think I was for thinking of shaving as a "hobby!" Can you imagine?

So, with all that in mind, and how at least once a day someone alludes to shaving like their grampa did, I remembered all those brushes that are a hundred years old that are bent that we bid each other up on at that auction house by the Bay. Well, I recently found a brush that was a shedder that I was too cheap to throw out, hidden in the other bathroom so the War Department wouldn't throw it out. I used it to lather a soap sample from @shavefan , and left it sitting in the bowl. The next day, it looked like it had been sitting there for a hundred years, and I thought "I should sell this as a genuine antique!" But, I couldn't bring myself to stoop so low, and decided on this: I'm gonna just use this brush and this bowl to whip up lather with, and never rinse either, and just add soaps and creams to it and see what grows in it. Oh, I'll dump out extra water, but that's it. Why?

BECAUSE THAT'S HOW GRAMPA DID IT!
My Grandpa smelled like TABAC ❤️

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
LOL! Yes. I think we just watched it last week. I'd bet my wife would remember the Title!

We'll go through the list, I'll say "THAT one!" She'll say, "we've seen it." Happens more often than not!

Nice thing about my early onset dementia: I can still laff at my slippin' cogs, I don't get mad when she does,..... AND lots of stuff that I watch is like I've never seen it!

Brother, even before Covid storekeepers used to come up to me and ask me to wear a mask! No foolin'!

Seems the men in town were tired of my unfair advantage! True story doggone!
I never used those things cause people couldn’t tell I had shaved after I spent all that money on ARKO.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
baby-laughing.gif

FarmerTan

Well, I KNOW that I have used that old shedding brush between now and February, but have not updated this thread. How have you poor folks been able to stand the withdrawal symptoms?!

I think I have a picture from last week....I used the same setup tonight...IMG_20220606_185255813.jpg

IMG_20220606_185241432~2.jpg This was my second time with this exact setup. The soap was a whole $1.25 at the Dollar Store. Inflation is going to confuse my post, sorry in advance.
I think @Ad Astra has already started a thread about this soap. And I can confirm: I licked my lips post shave, and the "Sorbitol" in it IS sweet.

I don't recommend anyone eat this soap though.

The razor: a PIF from @azion1995 ! I had never tried a Slim Adjustable before. I have owned a *giggle* Fatboy before, but really never got along with it really well. But this Slim is amazing. I think I will keep it for awhile. I set it on 4. BBS in 1.5 passes (I had to do my chin area twice).

The brush: from one of my favorite people in the werld named Steve, @Graydog ...I was down in the dumps about a month ago, I guess it was. He reached out, and I mentioned that I was in need of a smile, and he said he knew a horse that needed a haircut, and he ended up giving me a lot more than one smile. Thank you my Brother Steve. Sincerely.

That bowl was free with a chilli dinner/fundraiser. Pre COVID-19. Seems like a different werld now. The kid that made it left the glaze a little "gritty" and it whips up a ferocious lather. But I rubbed that puck on my face, as I did just like the last time. Just like an Arko Stick! Smells COMPLETELY different though. This stuff will draw mosquitoes, instead of repel them, doggone!

I can't place this scent, but I KNOW THAT I HAVE SMELLED IT BEFORE. Something shave related.... LaToja, a little. Maybe Art of Shaving something? VERY much better than something that cost only $1.25 plus tax.

I'm almost ashamed to admit that this soap is as good as it is. EASILY performs as well as anything I've ever used. Shoot, I ought to sell my image to the "B-Pure" folks in China and become a billionaire doggone!

I just now found a hair I missed, on the left side of my incredibly handsome face, just about an inch below the corner of my lower lip.

Maybe tomorrow I'll try to whip up a lather with that old shedding brush and go for two days in a row of shaving! That'll freak out ol' @fast shaver fer sher!

And thank you @Grundi for sending me those blades! You've saved me so much money on shaving blades that I have no need to dip into my 401-K.....true story doggone!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Well, I KNOW that I have used that old shedding brush between now and February, but have not updated this thread. How have you poor folks been able to stand the withdrawal symptoms?!

I think I have a picture from last week....I used the same setup tonight...View attachment 1472385

View attachment 1472386 This was my second time with this exact setup. The soap was a whole $1.25 at the Dollar Store. Inflation is going to confuse my post, sorry in advance.
I think @Ad Astra has already started a thread about this soap. And I can confirm: I licked my lips post shave, and the "Sorbitol" in it IS sweet.

I don't recommend anyone eat this soap though.

The razor: a PIF from @azion1995 ! I had never tried a Slim Adjustable before. I have owned a *giggle* Fatboy before, but really never got along with it really well. But this Slim is amazing. I think I will keep it for awhile. I set it on 4. BBS in 1.5 passes (I had to do my chin area twice).

The brush: from one of my favorite people in the werld named Steve, @Graydog ...I was down in the dumps about a month ago, I guess it was. He reached out, and I mentioned that I was in need of a smile, and he said he knew a horse that needed a haircut, and he ended up giving me a lot more than one smile. Thank you my Brother Steve. Sincerely.

That bowl was free with a chilli dinner/fundraiser. Pre COVID-19. Seems like a different werld now. The kid that made it left the glaze a little "gritty" and it whips up a ferocious lather. But I rubbed that puck on my face, as I did just like the last time. Just like an Arko Stick! Smells COMPLETELY different though. This stuff will draw mosquitoes, instead of repel them, doggone!

I can't place this scent, but I KNOW THAT I HAVE SMELLED IT BEFORE. Something shave related.... LaToja, a little. Maybe Art of Shaving something? VERY much better than something that cost only $1.25 plus tax.

I'm almost ashamed to admit that this soap is as good as it is. EASILY performs as well as anything I've ever used. Shoot, I ought to sell my image to the "B-Pure" folks in China and become a billionaire doggone!

I just now found a hair I missed, on the left side of my incredibly handsome face, just about an inch below the corner of my lower lip.

Maybe tomorrow I'll try to whip up a lather with that old shedding brush and go for two days in a row of shaving! That'll freak out ol' @fast shaver fer sher!

And thank you @Grundi for sending me those blades! You've saved me so much money on shaving blades that I have no need to dip into my 401-K.....true story doggone!
🤔 The b-pure soap smells like bergamot, to me. It actually works really well.

AA

FarmerTan

Interesting experiment. If you don't care much about lather being a certain way I don't see a problem doing it. Brushes are cheap and even a shedder will serve you 5+ years worth of daily shaves.
Well! I thought that I started my experiment in shaving with a brush that smells like Teen Spirit mixed with Anthrax on JULY FIFTH of 2019...

So, it appears @naughtilus was Korreck in his assumption that I could count on the brush lasting five years, as it is going strong after 2 years and 364 days! It didn't shed a single bristle today.

Time for a few pictures, and then the exciting (for yours truly) play by play!
IMG_20220705_192637144~2.jpg
IMG_20220705_191905238~2.jpg

FarmerTan

Today's shave was with the "Caisson" blade that @BaPh96 sent me TEN of. Second use with that blade. Which, I am thrilled to report, was better than the first use, I believe on Saturday night. That time I used that "B-Pure" stuff I got from the "Dollar and a Quarter General Store" that @Ad Astra (pretty sure it's him) bought the same day I did. Incredible soap for a $1.25 plus 6% Michigan State sales tax. That was a two pass shave with what is quite possibly the stinkingest brush I have ever used: a gift from my best friend in western Missouri, @dmshaver ! Whom I just realized I slandered on here: I think (or maybe it was only in my head?) I said that I know why he gave it to me! Yes, it stinks THAT BAD!

But now here comes "The REEEESSSSST of the story" :

I thought that I had left that brush somewhere in my travels....most likely in Tennessee, where my nephew or my brother may have absconded with it! Because I just couldn't find it ANYWHERE here in mid Michigan! I even had ex policemen that are now ex friends lookin' for it! Well, kinda.

Guess where I found it?

Well, I had to sit in the back of my lovely War Department's minivan the other day. Guess what was between the bucket seats on the floor? Yep, that brush! Still in the see through plastic case it came in! My very first Zenith boar brush.

Here is my werkin' hypothesis: It has been unseasonably hot in Michigan, and that van sits outside the garage. That brush was in its own little green house, what with that phancy container it was packed in! So look at it this way: I basically was simulating the effects of 200 years of excess heat on that brush, and, according to my contacts at NOAA, I'm lucky the bristles didn't melt! True story doggone. So, dmshaver, my deepest apologies, since I have now been told by SCIENCE ITSELF that it was my fault that brush smells like the left front armpit of a healthy old boar.

FarmerTan

I'll be back with the details of yesterday's shave. Spoiler! That Caisson blade is something else.

Today's shave was with the "Caisson" blade that @BaPh96 sent me TEN of. Second use with that blade. Which, I am thrilled to report, was better than the first use, I believe on Saturday night. That time I used that "B-Pure" stuff I got from the "Dollar and a Quarter General Store" that @Ad Astra (pretty sure it's him) bought the same day I did. Incredible soap for a $1.25 plus 6% Michigan State sales tax. That was a two pass shave with what is quite possibly the stinkingest brush I have ever used: a gift from my best friend in western Missouri, @dmshaver ! Whom I just realized I slandered on here: I think (or maybe it was only in my head?) I said that I know why he gave it to me! Yes, it stinks THAT BAD!

But now here comes "The REEEESSSSST of the story" :

I thought that I had left that brush somewhere in my travels....most likely in Tennessee, where my nephew or my brother may have absconded with it! Because I just couldn't find it ANYWHERE here in mid Michigan! I even had ex policemen that are now ex friends lookin' for it! Well, kinda.

Guess where I found it?

Well, I had to sit in the back of my lovely War Department's minivan the other day. Guess what was between the bucket seats on the floor? Yep, that brush! Still in the see through plastic case it came in! My very first Zenith boar brush.

Here is my werkin' hypothesis: It has been unseasonably hot in Michigan, and that van sits outside the garage. That brush was in its own little green house, what with that phancy container it was packed in! So look at it this way: I basically was simulating the effects of 200 years of excess heat on that brush, and, according to my contacts at NOAA, I'm lucky the bristles didn't melt! True story doggone. So, dmshaver, my deepest apologies, since I have now been told by SCIENCE ITSELF that it was my fault that brush smells like the left front armpit of a healthy old boar.
Ha ha, great story!!! Glad it turned up. And sitting in the car baking for a few weeks might contribute to a bit of odor coming from the brush. If you've got some soap you don't mind using, I suggest lathering heavy & set the brush overnight with the lather. Rinse & let dry. Repeat heavy lather. Do that about 10 times & you might get the pig perfume smell out of the brush. It really is a wonderful brush, but you can't know that while you've got a clothespin on your nose. That kind of ruins the enjoyment!

And you didn't slander me, my friend. It takes a lot to offend my simple mind!

Top Bottom