What's new

Question about Bootlegger's

I'm a big Bootlegger's fan. I started with Bay Rum, and then El Dorado. Both are enjoyed as part of a yearly rotation.

Over the years I now have the pleasure of using the whole Bootlegger's collection.

Here's what the bootlegger's experience is like.

1. "Gee, this smells pretty good."

2. "It certainly smells better than the original 'X' it came from."

3. (Chuckling to myself as I am once again reminding myself that wet shaving can save money) "This IS inexpensive. Why don't I use this stuff all the time"?

4. "I should have stocked up on Vito'es Tobacco. I'm gonna run out before my 75th birthday, and then what I'm gonna do?

If you haven't tried Bootlegger's yet, do yourself a favor and start with some making Bootlegger's Bay rum.

How is the skin conditioning on that? I find with other bay rums, something about it is really great for my skin.

Their balm is moisturizing for me - it's the one in the pump bottle. It doesn't dry my skin like an alcohol splash, but doesn't feel greasy, either; it dries clean, and smells fantastic. I used it this morning, and my head and face feel clean and comfortable. I normally opt for it when doing a total face and head shave, but I like the splash when just face shaving. Their lime bay rum version is great, too.

Wow! There’s no better review then that picture! :)

$25 for a 5 ounce bottle isn’t cheap, but also doesn’t seem too overly expensive. Do they sell samples?

I honestly don't know. I blind bought the splash, and liked it so much that I went full-in on the balm and soap. I actually bought them out of soap with my last order, and don't know if they've re-stocked.

As far as scent goes, I've developed a bay rum scale™ (BRS™) for strength:

Taconic's bay rum is a 1 on the BRS: if you went into McDonald's and bought an apple pie, that's pretty much their bay rum strength: apple, cinnamon, spices - light scent. Pleasant, but light. At the other end of the BRS, a 10 on the 10 scale, you have Stirling: like getting punched in the nose by someone holding clove and spices in their fist - not that I mind that; I've got several tubs of their soap, and have since bought the aftershave and EDT. When you want a stronger presence, Stirling is the one I use. The thor's hammer bay rum is about a 7'ish for me. Imo, it's got the perfect blend of spices and is exactly what I'd imagine the original bay rum worn by sailors should smell like. Everyone's sense of smell is so different, I understand it's highly subjective, but I think it hits the sweet spot. PAA's Classico, for reference, is about a 4 on my BRS. The Atomic Age would peg my 3. Ogallala's double strength is a 9 to me. I wish there was a more scientific way, or we could build a smell-o-meter, but until that time, I'll rely on the BRS. 👍

eta: I just remembered that they sent me a promo code for 25%(?) off. Iirc, the code is "WELCOME".

Full disclosure: I don't work with them, for them, know them, or get free product from them, unfortunately. All that software ^^^^ was paid for at full whack. I got the promo code after I had already bought.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I honestly don't know. I blind bought the splash, and liked it so much that I went full-in on the balm and soap. I actually bought them out of soap with my last order, and don't know if they've re-stocked.

As far as scent goes, I've developed a bay rum scale™ (BRS™) for strength:

Taconic's bay rum is a 1 on the BRS: if you went into McDonald's and bought an apple pie, that's pretty much their bay rum strength: apple, cinnamon, spices - light scent. Pleasant, but light. At the other end of the BRS, a 10 on the 10 scale, you have Stirling: like getting punched in the nose by someone holding clove and spices in their fist - not that I mind that; I've got several tubs of their soap, and have since bought the aftershave and EDT. When you want a stronger presence, Stirling is the one I use. The thor's hammer bay rum is about a 7'ish for me. Imo, it's got the perfect blend of spices and is exactly what I'd imagine the original bay rum worn by sailors should smell like. Everyone's sense of smell is so different, I understand it's highly subjective, but I think it hits the sweet spot. PAA's Classico, for reference, is about a 4 on my BRS. The Atomic Age would peg my 3. Ogallala's double strength is a 9 to me. I wish there was a more scientific way, or we could build a smell-o-meter, but until that time, I'll rely on the BRS. 👍

eta: I just remembered that they sent me a promo code for 25%(?) off. Iirc, the code is "WELCOME".

Full disclosure: I don't work with them, for them, know them, or get free product from them, unfortunately. All that software ^^^^ was paid for at full whack. I got the promo code after I had already bought.
This is honestly incredibly useful. Thanks much.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Bootlegger's Bay Rum is a regular in my aftershave splash rotation. Give it a mix...you'll be glad you did.

Now...one other thing in reference to your original post. You mentioned that the barber had St. John's Bay Rum? Whoa! That's an expensive Bay Rum splash. You're right though...it does smell nice. You should try Ogallala Bay Rum Extra Strength. It has a very, very similar scent profile and it has legs...it's stronger than St. John's.
I have tried Ogallala. It is great but some ingredient in it makes it burn much more than normal for me.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Hijacking my own thread a bit, but has anyone ever tried Layrite, Turtle Bay, Barberry Coast, Honeybee Gardens, or Suavecito?

Edit - apparantly Larite and Suavecito are just rebranded Gabel's.

This is honestly incredibly useful. Thanks much.

I'm glad to help. 👍 Us bay rum lovers need a ruler of sorts. F.Y.I., I have St. John's, too. I only use it as a cologne; something tells me that if I tried to use it as an aftershave, it would feel like gasoline, and I'm not even sensitive. Scent-wise, I'd put St. John's at a 6 on the BRS™.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Hijacking my own thread a bit, but has anyone ever tried Layrite, Turtle Bay, Barberry Coast, Honeybee Gardens, or Suavecito?

Edit - apparantly Larite and Suavecito are just rebranded Gabel's.

The only one of those I haven't tried yet is Turtle Bay. You're right about Layrite and Suavecito though, they're expensive Gabels. Of all of the Bay Rums you listed, Barberry Coast is the best one. I purchased it many years ago and found it weak and watered down...but now...it's one of the nicest Bay Rums available. I have the aftershave, cologne and shave cream and they're all excellent.

The Honeybee Gardens Bay Rum is an odd scent... nothing even remotely like genuine Bay Rum. It's pleasant, but it reminded me more of a Barbershop scent than a Bay Rum. If I had to compare it to something specific ... it's very similar in scent to Zingari Man The Nomad.

Last edited:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
So, continuing with the thread hijacking :biggrin1:, how about that Gabel's Bay Rum? I've got the Stephan Bay Rum (barber shop brand), what am I missing?

Gabels to me is very nice although not long lasting. I always have to remember that aftershaves are not colognes and their scent isn't meant to linger very long. Aftershaves that have a scent that linger are anomalies. Nevertheless, Gabels is one of the inexpensive Bay Rum aftershave splashes that's worth trying.

Since the thread is about Bootlegger's, I'll just add...in reference to Gabels... although it's not one of the Bootlegger's Bay Rum ingredients...I kinda wish it was. There's something about Gabels scent that I would really like to be stronger and last longer. I made my own mix that had Gabels at its base. But that's another story.

Last edited:
Top Bottom