What's new

ATG Question

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Dear Straight Razor and Shavette users,

Do any of you ever use your steely edges to trim whiskers in ATG-only shaves?

Thanks kindly

I have before after bad time management has left me with only a few short minutes for a shave though now, I usually go for one xtg pass in the same situation.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I tried a single Fool's Pass (ATG upper lip) a few times when starting to use the Fool's Pass to test an edge. I found that it slightly cut the skin at each hair follicle. Not pleasant. From then on I have always done a WTG pass before the the FP when testing edges. The test still gives very accurate results without the skin damage.

thombrogan

it slightly cut the skin at each hair follicle.

That doesn’t sound like a pleasant upper lip.

In your adjusted version, does the WTG pass have to be almost immediately before your lip-to-nose feat? Could you get it the night before with your Vespers shave and then test your edge with just a fool’s pass?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
That doesn’t sound like a pleasant upper lip.

In your adjusted version, does the WTG pass have to be almost immediately before your lip-to-nose feat? Could you get it the night before with your Vespers shave and then test your edge with just a fool’s pass?
It wasn't too bad with that first FP. The cuts were very minor at about the size of a grain of fine sand. Easily cleaned up with a cold-water rinse and no pain.

When doing a WTG on the upper lip I try to get all the whiskers, right up to the nostrils. I normally miss one or two but they are caught with the FP.

I haven't tried WTG upper lip with my Vesperum SR and then a FP the following morning. Once I've finished my blade edge hardness test, I might give it a go.

thombrogan

Comfort’s always a huge benefit. Thank you for explaining why you prefer XTG over ATG when only one pass is performed.

thombrogan

Thank you, gentlemen!

It‘s how I use safety razors so I was hoping much sharper blades with less clutter behind the edges would make it gentler and easier to perform (as most people who move from DE or SE razors note the Straight Razor is nicer to their skin).

@1Speedster does mention the consolation of getting to enjoy more blade time, doing it right is not without its rewards.

thombrogan

The ATG pass can hit the ends of long hairs at the same time
as the bases of the hairs that edge is supposed to be shaving.

Forgive me, but can’t that happen with any sort of pass? Or is it much more likely to happen ATG?

Tbh, an ATG one pass shave for me would be a PITA on my neck with all the Grain change. even the lower sideburn cheek area is a swirl, made my beard look all crazy the way it splayed when i grew it out.

thombrogan

@camoloc , just read you’ve done this type of shave. You also got your Mühle and SE addiction before me. Since you’re always a few steps ahead of me…

1. How was the shave? Will it become a thing?
2. How early will I become a grandparent? Can‘t ask the follow-ups due to Johnny Law

I end with an all over ATG pass every day. When it comes to the upper lip the trick is to hold the razor still while moving your face against the razor. That and of course a good shaving soap.

@camoloc , just read you’ve done this type of shave. You also got your Mühle and SE addiction before me. Since you’re always a few steps ahead of me…

1. How was the shave? Will it become a thing?
2. How early will I become a grandparent? Can‘t ask the follow-ups due to Johnny Law

(1) good with ATG & ATG cleanup only.....with me WTG is just a formality. will have to shave more like this to make an informed decision. if history is any indicator....it will become a thing.

(2) don't have the answer to that one. I can only reflect that its good to be a "on the young side" grandparent. it comes well recommended.

camo

Top Bottom