What's new

Next Big Step After Rockwell 6C and Razorock Game Changer .84-P?

Have you considered the merkur progress?
It’s not my all time favorite razor because I find it quite “aggressive” even at the lowest settings with its positive exposure, but given that you already use the .84 I think the progress with 5 settings could be a nice choice.
My Progress, at 1-1.5, is a mild-to-moderate razor, comparable to the Lupo Al. I've never tried it at 5, but it might cover the aggressiveness range you're comfortable with.

An alternative would be the Parker Variant, which fixes some of the "annoyances" of the Progress.

The Pearl Flexi is the least-expensive, fully-machined adjustable razor available. It's brass, matte chrome finish, and rather heavy at (I think) 140 grams. Good knurling on the handle, and it balances nicely if you hold it near the adjustment ring.

Its range is 1-6. It's really mild ("I'm cutting hairs?") at 1, "just right mild" with an Astra SP blade at 2-2.5. The blade gap goes up to 0.70 or so, at setting 6.

Since I got mine, I've been using it exclusively. If you decide to experiment with an adjustable razor, it's a good choice.

My Progress, at 1-1.5, is a mild-to-moderate razor, comparable to the Lupo Al. I've never tried it at 5, but it might cover the aggressiveness range you're comfortable with.

An alternative would be the Parker Variant, which fixes some of the "annoyances" of the Progress.

The Pearl Flexi is the least-expensive, fully-machined adjustable razor available. It's brass, matte chrome finish, and rather heavy at (I think) 140 grams. Good knurling on the handle, and it balances nicely if you hold it near the adjustment ring.

Its range is 1-6. It's really mild ("I'm cutting hairs?") at 1, "just right mild" with an Astra SP blade at 2-2.5. The blade gap goes up to 0.70 or so, at setting 6.

Since I got mine, I've been using it exclusively. If you decide to experiment with an adjustable razor, it's a good choice.
Do you prefer the Flexi over the Progress? Does one feel smoother than the other?

Do you prefer the Flexi over the Progress? Does one feel smoother than the other?
IMHO, the Flexi is smoother than the Progress. But I used the Progress with a Feather blade, and found that the Flexi worked better with an Astra SP blade (not as sharp as the Feather).

. . . So it's not an apples-to-apples comparison.

There's no question about which razor has the tighter tolerances, and even blade exposure -- that's the Flexi, for sure.

I should do some mix-and-match testing (e.g. put an Astra SP in the Progress), and report back.

. Charles

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
By any chance have you compared it to the Timeless?
A few.
1000002134.jpg

I currently own a Timeless .68SS, a bronze .38 and a bronze .78OC. I used to have a .95 baseplate for the stainless as well, but have since unloaded on another member as that gap didn't suit me.

I love all 3 and they are wonderful shavers. I absolutely recommend Timeless products to anyone. Not only are they made fantastically well, but their customer service is above and beyond. The .68 and .38 could easily be my daily driver.

Enter the Lambda Athena. It's just on another level. It's not that I don't get terrific shaves with the Timeless, it's that I get even better shaves with the Athena. This is why I recommend it over the others. It's almost effortless from the first shave.

If you decide to go with a Timeless you're likely going to be very happy and it will last you a lifetime and beyond. It's also nice that their razor parts can be purchased individually so you can "play" around a bit. No wait either, where-as there well could be for the Athena. And as stated you can depend on the folks at Timeless to resolve any issues quickly.

One of the great things about B&B is the "Buy, Sell, Trade". All of these razors will hold their value and while one might have to knock off a few bucks they would easily move.

Good luck with your quest for your next razor. I think you're considering some great tools and I am certain you'll be happy wherever you land. I also look forward to reading about what you decide on and how it works out.

Last edited:
A few.
View attachment 1835875
I currently own a Timeless .68SS, a bronze .38 and a bronze .78OC. I used to have a .95 baseplate for the stainless as well, but have since unloaded on another member as that gap didn't suit me.

I love all 3 and they are wonderful shavers. I absolutely recommend Timeless products to anyone. Not only are they made fantastically well, but their customer service is above and beyond. The .68 and .38 could easily be my daily driver.

Enter the Lambda Athena. It's just on another level. It's not that I don't get terrific shaves with the Timeless, it's that I get even better shaves with the Athena. This is why I recommend it over the others. It's almost effortless from the first shave.

If you decide to go with a Timeless you're likely going to be very happy and it will last you a lifetime and beyond. It's also nice that their razor parts can be purchased individually so you can "play" around a bit. No wait either, where-as there well could be for the Athena. And as stated you can depend on the folks at Timeless to resolve any issues quickly.

One of the great things about B&B is the "Buy, Sell, Trade". All of these razors will hold their value and while one might have to knock off a few bucks they would easily move.

Good luck with your quest for your next razor. I think you're considering some great tools and I am certain you'll be happy wherever you land. I also look forward to reading about what you decide on and how it works out.
That Lambda almost looks too pretty to use!

Lambda and Timeless are both high in the running for me at this point, but I'll have plenty of time to decide.

I went a little crazy on Razorock's website after the success I had with the GC .84 SB. I now have a GC .76 SB base plate, a SS Lupo .72 OC, a Aluminum Lupo (which I believe is the .58 SB base), and Titanium Halo handle all on the way. I should have at least a few months worth of combinations to experiment with in the meantime.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have both the Timeless Ti 0.68OC (open comb) with the Ti Crown handle. I did put a SS scalloped Case on it to get the balance perfect for me and I have the Athena as well. I’m glad I don’t have to choose one over the other. They are both outstanding, at least for me. Others prefer the 0.95OC for more efficiency, but I don’t require it.

I get shaves that last for 12 hours from both. That is sort of my measuring stick.

Top Bottom