What's new

Australian Shaving Supplies

Just a heads up for the fellow Aussies out there.

On the weekend I was at one of our many large shopping complexes and found the Shaver Shop (which I had seen online before). They had the full range of Proraso from the soap, cream in a tube, aftershave and few other bits. They also stocked Crabtree & Evelyn soaps, creams and aftershave balms as well as some Colonel Conk soaps. They also had some razor blades but sorry I didn't take note of brands. They may have even had some DE razors but I wasn't looking for those.

Speaking of Crabtree & Evelyn I also found one of their stores in this centre. They had the full range and I picked up some cream and after shave balm I am yet to try. I also found a nice brush stand which I have been looking for.

Anyway just thought I would let you all know (for those local to Melbourne this was all found at Southland).

EDIT:

The information of this thread was transferred in Wiki to have a cleaner list: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Australia_shaving_supplies

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. It looks like the Shaver Shop have lifted their game and started stocking some good shaving gear.

Should post my experiences with the shaver shop:

1. it's not a bad shop if you need something fast
2. the prices are slightly expensive
3. the service in the store is more geared towards electric than wet shaving
4. They try to be a "one stop shop" and don't focus enough on certain aspects (eg limited range of brushes, straight razors, des, shave creams)
5. They are very friendly.

I am going to add my dislike of the Shavershop - it really isn't a great place for B&B types. The selection is poor (although as RM71 mentioned, it's getting better), the staff at the shops I have been to don't have a clue, and the couple of times that I've emailed them, I've received dross by way of a reply.

On the upside, and in addition to the good stuff listed before I barged in:

- Provence Sante is imported to Australia through a company in Melbourne called Saison (www.saison.com.au). I am a big fan of the PS soaps
- there seems to be a L'Occitane on every street corner. Two on the wide streets.
- Truefitt and Hill have local distribution and keen prices (www.truefittandhill.com.au),
- Proraso has a local web site (www.prorasoaustralia.com) and you can find a list of retailers on there. You have to scroll down past the list of every &*#@ shavershop outlet first
- RM71 has mentioned a Perth retailer that sells Taylors of Old Bond Street at good prices (sorry, I don't have the details)
- DJs has a shaving cream that is passable. The lather is good. The scent reminds me of the stuff you spray on car dashboards to stop the plastic from drying out.

Can anyone else add to the list?

Cheers

Jeremy

- Provence Sante is imported to Australia through a company in Melbourne called Saison (www.saison.com.au). I am a big fan of the PS soaps
- there seems to be a L'Occitane on every street corner. Two on the wide streets.
- Truefitt and Hill have local distribution and keen prices (www.truefittandhill.com.au),
- Proraso has a local web site (www.prorasoaustralia.com) and you can find a list of retailers on there. You have to scroll down past the list of every &*#@ shavershop outlet first
- RM71 has mentioned a Perth retailer that sells Taylors of Old Bond Street at good prices (sorry, I don't have the details)
- DJs has a shaving cream that is passable. The lather is good. The scent reminds me of the stuff you spray on car dashboards to stop the plastic from drying out.

http://www.artofman.com.au sells trumper products, though the site sucks.

I am going to add my dislike of the Shavershop - it really isn't a great place for B&B types. The selection is poor (although as RM71 mentioned, it's getting better), the staff at the shops I have been to don't have a clue, and the couple of times that I've emailed them, I've received dross by way of a reply.

On the upside, and in addition to the good stuff listed before I barged in:

Cheers

Jeremy

I'm in Perth and have been deliberating to import Taylors of Old Bond Street but associated charges (and draconic regulations) are prohibitive. I'd love to find out who retails those here!!

My experience with the Shaver Shop: Bought Proraso there; price is a bit over the top if you compare to US prices (classicshaving.com etc.); the only Merkur razor they have in my shop is the Futur, albeit it only says '701' on the boxand the sales staff doesn't have a clue about the different Merkur models; they don't have any decent brushes. The only Vulfix brush that they had was a pure bristle travel brush which Iended up buying thinking that all Vulfix were very good - boy was I wrong!

I didn't see any Evelyn & Crabtree stuff there; unfortunately.

Bottom line: I love Proraso cream, but I'm still in dire need of a good razor (chasing the Merkur 38c) and a really good badger brush.

I'm in Perth and have been deliberating to import Taylors of Old Bond Street but associated charges (and draconic regulations) are prohibitive. I'd love to find out who retails those here!!

My experience with the Shaver Shop: Bought Proraso there; price is a bit over the top if you compare to US prices (classicshaving.com etc.); the only Merkur razor they have in my shop is the Futur, albeit it only says '701' on the boxand the sales staff doesn't have a clue about the different Merkur models; they don't have any decent brushes. The only Vulfix brush that they had was a pure bristle travel brush which Iended up buying thinking that all Vulfix were very good - boy was I wrong!

I didn't see any Evelyn & Crabtree stuff there; unfortunately.

Bottom line: I love Proraso cream, but I'm still in dire need of a good razor (chasing the Merkur 38c) and a really good badger brush.

Go to Esquires in Piccadilly Arcade(Hay Street end-I'm a regular there) and they sell great selection of Taylors. A tub of Taylors cream is $22.50. They also sell Vulfix brushes and other shaving stuff.. Great service as well.
Also in the same mall is Mr Shaver WA. His range is superb but his prices are higher than hippie on the third day of an open air concert.
If you are after cheap proraso go to IGA in Stirling. Hope this helps.

Go to Esquires in Piccadilly Arcade(Hay Street end-I'm a regular there) and they sell great selection of Taylors. A tub of Taylors cream is $22.50. They also sell Vulfix brushes and other shaving stuff.. Great service as well.
Also in the same mall is Mr Shaver WA. His range is superb but his prices are higher than hippie on the third day of an open air concert.
If you are after cheap proraso go to IGA in Stirling. Hope this helps.

Thanks you very much for the information!

I'm going to check out Esquires and Mr. Shaver WA this week. Looking forward to getting some really good shaving stuff..

Funny, i actually emailed Taylors asking for some retailers in AU - they never bothered to answer.

There is a legal outfitters in the court district of Melbourne which stock Trumpers though I haven't been there as I don't work in the city any more:

http://www.ludlows.com.au/ludlows/spitfire.jsp?c_id=10004

The Shaver Shop is predominantly electric gear, foot massagers, and other gadgets which is why I was surprised to find a few shelves near the counter with a range of soaps, creams and after shaves. I didn't bother asking the staff about anything more complex.

Does Esquire's in Perth have an online presence or have a mailing option?

I've found a few other online retailers in Australia, but their prices are so far from competitive that I don't believe it's worth giving them my money. How about $4.25 for a pack of 5 Derby blades. A mere $0.85 a blade.

Cheers

Jeremy

Brasilian Wilkinson Sword blades at Coles $AU 10.95 for 10 blades.You're joking me.:lol::lol::lol:

I wonder if they are called Brasilian (Brazilian?) blades because they are made there, or because of their performance.

Cheers

Jeremy

BTW. The Red Personna blades that John (LetterK) stocks are great. He sells them at $10 per hundred and shipping is inexpensive.

I got cheap astra Superior platinums from barber & hairdressing supplies in Sydney. from memory 100 blades were $24.

Mate, you folk keep producing the royals, you can have the crown.

Cheers

Jeremy

And I thought Perth was a bit "behind" :blushing:

I went to "Esquire" here in Perth; they very knowledgeable even asked if I had heard of Badger & Blade. They had Taylors of Old Bond Street stuff which is fantastic; had to order my cologne though (Mr. Taylors)

rm71, you were right about "Mr. Shaver WA" by the way. A Merkur HD for $86AU - I don't think so! Besides the fact that the guy in there has absolutely no idea what he's selling. Shocking.

Top Bottom