What's new

Discussion Thread for Simpson Tulip 3 Review

How does the Tulip compare to the PJ? I’m tempted to buy a PJ since so many people say it is great, but the Tulip is the brush with the most appealing shape to me (along with the EJ silvertip reviewed by LetterK).

Unfortunately it is a bit of a crap shoot depending on which hair bundle you wind up getting. I can tell you that the feel of the "two-banded" Tulip is diametrically opposed to that of my PJ3, even though they are both "super". Both are scrubby, but the Tulip is much more so. If you like really soft brushes, you won't like either, and are better off getting Simpson "best" hair, or another manufacturer's product.

edit: I'll take a Savile Row silvertip at half the price before either brush. :wink:

Overall, I have asomewhat limited brush experience. Of the three brushes I own, I am adoring the Savile Row 3118 which is a silver tip, two bands like your Tulip. Black at the base, silver at the tips. My Simpson is a three band and so is my Vulfix. There is definitely a difference between the two types in these brushes, but uncertain overall if it applies in general.

Does water collect at the base on that handle? There is not a good photo where the bristles join...

Dennis

I only own a Vulfix #2336 and the Crabtree & Edwin Best. I’m actually looking for a stiffer brush. On my wish list: a Shavemac silvertip, either a PJ or a Tulip in super, a travel brush (don’t know which one yet). I’ll ask Robert if he has a two-banded Tulip.

Thank you for the help.

Edit: Where do I get SR (I'm in France)?

Mike02 said:
Overall, I have asomewhat limited brush experience. Of the three brushes I own, I am adoring the Savile Row 3118 which is a silver tip, two bands like your Tulip. Black at the base, silver at the tips. My Simpson is a three band and so is my Vulfix. There is definitely a difference between the two types in these brushes, but uncertain overall if it applies in general.

Does water collect at the base on that handle? There is not a good photo where the bristles join...

Dennis
I'll add a picture with a different angle tonight - thanks for the suggestion. No, water doesn't collect at the base the way I use it.

Lyrt said:
Where do I get SR (I'm in France)?

Lyrt - Charles at QED sells them (www.qedusa.com). I do not know of another online supplier though there may be one - enquire with him for international shipping. The thought is that SRs are made by Shavemac, but no one knows for sure that is saying anything. The SR 31xx series is especially nice, priced very well, and just excellent brushes.

Dennis
/sorry for the thread hijack

Mike02 said:
Lyrt - Charles at QED sells them (www.qedusa.com). I do not know of another online supplier though there may be one - enquire with him for international shipping. The thought is that SRs are made by Shavemac, but no one knows for sure that is saying anything. The SR 31xx series is especially nice, priced very well, and just excellent brushes.

Dennis
/sorry for the thread hijack
I also found this site. They awfully look like Vulfix. :confused1

Those are not the silvertips. Charles is the sole distributor. Look here for an example. There are other styles as well.

Lyrt said:
Now they look like Shavemac. I’ll consider it. Thanks to both of you. End of the thread hijack.

They are often suspected to be Shavemac. The handle cuts of some are EXACTLY the same.

As for the T3/PJ3 distinction, see my addition to the review. Basically, as Scotto says, it is a crapshoot, unless you have the seller individually pick one out for you. His look dramatically different. My PJ looks very similar to his T3, and looked/performed almost exactly like my T3. The only real difference was the handle. See picture below of the PJ.

Btw, one other comment/question. Did they change the shape of the PJ3 handle at some point? Mine looks much stockier than Scotto's. His looks more like the PJ2 to me.

full

-Mo

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike02 said:
I am adoring the Savile Row 3118 which is a silver tip, two bands like your Tulip. Black at the base, silver at the tips.

Dennis

Is this "two-band" hair common in the Savile Rows? I don't think I've ever seen this mentioned. Can we get a pic?

Sorry for the hijack, Scotto.

Savile Row picture.

Edit: Never mind - editing because I read more carefully.

As you can see, though, the picture is not a two band pattern. I am surprised that the Savile Rows have variability like this. We all know Simpson does, but...

-Mo

Agent86 said:
Is this "two-band" hair common in the Savile Rows? I don't think I've ever seen this mentioned. Can we get a pic?

Sorry for the hijack, Scotto.
Vulfix 2234, SR 3118, Simpson Chubby #2 Super

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Dennis.

That looks like three-band hair to me. I would think that the appearance is a result of the bulb-shaped knot. If the outer hairs were a bit shorter, it would certainly look similar to the Simpsons.

well, ultimately, I don't think it is inherently a cut and dried difference. The only real difference, I am pretty sure, is the width of the black band. If it is wide enough to extend down to the handle, we call it two band, because that's what we can see.

It just happens with Simpson, that they seem to have some "Super" hair with a narrow band, and some with a very wide, and in their particular case, there is a big difference between the two. I would hesitate to assume that the is any inherent difference....

-Mo

I added another picture to the review, showing the bristle base and gutter a bit better. I'll repeat it here:
IMG_2792_2_1.JPG

And for those who are hijacking my thread, stop it. :wink:

Thanks Scotto. That gutter is interesting - I wonder what the designers were thinking in that design. Do you think it adds anything to the handle function-wise or is it purely asthetic?

Dennis
/OK, done hijacking... :biggrin:

Top Bottom