What's new

Discusion thread for Eucris review

Shaken, not stirred. Oh yes, the mighty Eucris. One of my absolute favourites. Heady, sophisticated, testosterone laden, yet thoroughly gentlemanly. I agree that this one does not belong on a 20 something though that's strictly my opinion. I am not good at describing scent notes but gents, this is the one to try when you're dressed up or want to present a powerful personna. It is not as long lasting on my skin as I'd like but YMMV in that aspect. A true winner.

Regards ,Todd

I am a bit dissappointed by the "not for younger gents" description. It sounds so bloody nice.... Especially that bit about being reminisent of a light oil. I definitely like the idea of smelling vaguely like i've been tinkering on the Deere, but in a cleaned-up, sophisticated way.

-Mo

I got a sample of Eucris- and I was really impressed by the depth and maturity of this scent- not airy and fleeting, but robust. Just outstanding.

srajguru said:
I got a sample of Eucris- and I was really impressed by the depth and maturity of this scent- not airy and fleeting, but robust. Just outstanding.

Don't tell me - you are venerable too? :wink:

I have to say that while there are plenty of scents that I don't personally care for, there only a few that I have a strong hatred of. This is one of them. On me, it is truly a revolting affair. Just thinking about it makes me ill. Headache-inducing swill.

Of course, YMMV :001_tt2: :001_tt2:

Scotto said:
Just thinking about it makes me ill. Headache-inducing swill.

Of course, YMMV :001_tt2: :001_tt2:

Now, that there is the beauty of the diversity of tastes- Here's the reason why decants and samples are key to this enterprise. One man's delights are anothers swill.

Scotto, say it isn't so! Hey, I know what you mean about swill. I was once given a bottle of Yardley of London A/S and it smelled just like a skunk on me! My dad too, that's why he gave it to me. Thanks pop. I don't know if this was the American version or English and don't care. It was either off or just hated our body chemistry. Yeesh.

Regards ,Todd

After smelling Eucris.... I know know what happens to the run-off liquid from industrial wastes sites.... or perhaps from the left over things that the waste water treatment plants won't even touch.

I've often suspected that Pinald is secretly manufacturing Ecris...

Ok, ok, it's not quite putrid, but it is an acquired taste.

-joedy

Phog Allen said:
Scotto, say it isn't so! Hey, I know what you mean about swill. I was once given a bottle of Yardley of London A/S and it smelled just like a skunk on me! My dad too, that's why he gave it to me. Thanks pop. I don't know if this was the American version or English and don't care. It was either off or just hated our body chemistry. Yeesh.

Regards ,Todd

Now, that's interesting. I have not encountered a Skunk-Cologne yet, but when I used to be an Animal Control Officer... I used to smell like that all of the time anyway.

I was smelling Trumper's Astor cologne the other day. I keep telling myself, "This stuff smells just like a Stinkbug!" I was too afraid of wearing it, lest my chemistry not change the smell and I end up smelling like a stinkbug all day long. I keep a little on hand though, for those days when I have meetings with people that I find disagreeable.

Yes, I use my Fragrance Art Skills as a weapon.... but at least I'm mentally stable enough to admit it up front. :devil:

-joedy

This is a great discussion thread! So many well-stated viewpoints, and none of them are wrong.

Scotto’s post in the review thread was so eloquent and funny that it cracks me up each time I read it. I’ve got to quote it here to fuel the discussion.

Scotto said:
Here is what Eucris smells like on me
Scotto said:
Take ten bushels of blackberries and other assorted fruit. Now leave it in the hot sun for a week until it is a foetid, putrifying mess. Now find a homeless guy who hasn't showered in a month and have him roll around in it. Now you'll begin to appreciate what the scent is like. Truly vile.

That being said, there are many folks who love this stuff. To each his own.

He’s right, you know. The foetid blackberry and homeless guy notes are in there. Along with the industrial waste mentioned by Joedy, and a host of other unusual notes and forbidden memories about the less savory aspects of the world. I don’t think anyone would characterize this scent as “innocent.” Yet it is so skillfully blended that it is entirely appropriate when wearing a tux, or for negotiations with a CEO. It leaves the impression that the wearer is familiar with the darker aspects of the world, has dealt with them, and has mastered them.

I think that’s why it would be difficult for a younger guy to pull this one off. Instead of worldly and masterful he might just come off as evil.

I can see how someone might get a headache wearing it, especially if they applied it too liberally. It doesn’t do that to me though.

By the way, my warning about not posting in the review thread was meant to stop the “Where can I buy this?” and “Do you think this would be good for my grandson?” posts, that end up putting a bunch of default zero scores in the cumulative reviews. If you’ve tried it feel free to rate it in the review thread, good or bad.

I must say that even though I don't care for the scent, I can appreciate the artistry that went into it.

Joedy said:
Now, that's interesting. I have not encountered a Skunk-Cologne yet,...

Do not be so sure. You may have encountered somethig quite similar.

Civet is a preparation from a skunk-like excretion of the civet cat, used in perfume.

Here's a quote from The Straight Dope website.

First of all, the civet isn't a cat, it just looks like one--actually it's related to the mongoose. And those sweaty excretions aren't sweat--they come from the perineal glands, next to the civet's anus. (What do you mean, "Ewww"? We've barely gotten started. I'll give you something to go "ewww" about.) The perineal glands contain a smelly substance that civets, and true cats for that matter, use to mark their territory. In ancient times some unknown perfume artisan came to an important realization:
Olfactory protoscientist #1: Man, this civet smell is rank.
Olfactory protoscientist #2: Yes, but it lasts a really long time!
Olfactory protoscientist #1: [Pause.] I'm not seeing how this helps us.
In fact, when used in minute quantities civet has a certain musky allure, and when mixed with more perishable fragrances it prolongs their scent.
I don't find any evidence that you get civet out of civets by whipping them, but the process is none too pleasant. According to the World Society for the Protection of Animals (www.wspa.org.uk/campaigns/civ ets/civet01.html), which has investigated civet harvesting in Ethiopia, the animals are kept in tiny cages for years. Every few days the keepers scrape the civet out of the anal sacs, a painful procedure (not to mention one of the world's worst jobs). The WSPA says that Chanel, Cartier, and Lancome have all admitted to using civet in their products and that laboratory tests detected the ingredient in Chanel No. 5. Chanel says it substituted synthetic civet for the natural version starting in 1998

Then there's castorium, from the perineal gland of the beaver, and musk asociated with the genetalia of the musk deer.

I've heard it said that love and hatred are not opposites, that they're actually quite close. The opposite of them is indifference.

The same for smells.

Howard said:
I think that’s why it would be difficult for a younger guy to pull this one off. Instead of worldly and masterful he might just come off as evil.

Hmm.... I think I might be okay with that. I am an attorney, after all. :devil:

Shaken, not stirred. Oh yes, the mighty Eucris. One of my absolute favourites. Heady, sophisticated, testosterone laden, yet thoroughly gentlemanly. I agree that this one does not belong on a 20 something though that's strictly my opinion. I am not good at describing scent notes but gents, this is the one to try when you're dressed up or want to present a powerful personna. It is not as long lasting on my skin as I'd like but YMMV in that aspect. A true winner.

Regards ,Todd

i am a 20 something (well a late 20 something) and i love this stuff....an most of all so does gf...enough said :rolleyes:

a real mans smell

I am dying to try this scent and i was wondering if any of you gentlemen have the opportunity to decant a little for me to wear and smell??

Please let me know.

It is kind of funny that this thread has been resurrected. I wore Eucris just last night. Fall has finally landed out here in cattle country though the last few weeks has seen a stubborn resurgence in summer temps. Till this week. It was a "balmy" 68F yesterday and about 60F today. Dry air, light north breeze, and a trip to the eldest daughter's girls singing ensemble last night was the perfect time to don the Eucris. I have not changed my opinion on the quality of the scent. The blast of black current leaf essence was so reassuring after a long summer's hiatus. I still think it may be a tad out of place on a youngster but for those who are going to try it, just don't wear it with denim and baseball cap. Especially the cap or I will slap you. It is truly a classy scent.

Regards, Todd

It is kind of funny that this thread has been resurrected. I wore Eucris just last night. Fall has finally landed out here in cattle country though the last few weeks has seen a stubborn resurgence in summer temps. Till this week. It was a "balmy" 68F yesterday and about 60F today. Dry air, light north breeze, and a trip to the eldest daughter's girls singing ensemble last night was the perfect time to don the Eucris. I have not changed my opinion on the quality of the scent. The blast of black current leaf essence was so reassuring after a long summer's hiatus. I still think it may be a tad out of place on a youngster but for those who like are going to try it, just don't wear it with denim and baseball cap. Especially the cap or I will slap you. It is truly a classy scent.

Regards, Todd

It's the type of smell I imagine I would wear to the gentlemen's club or Masonic meetings.

I have been reading this site for a while now (ever since I decided to shavew the old soup catcher), there is lots of good info here.

Anyways I am interested in Eucris, and was wondering if anyone knew where to get some samples in Canada, or if there is a store in Vancouver that sells this stuff, cause I don't want to buy this without first smelling it.

Thanks

Top Bottom