What's new

Shavemac Review Discussion

Glad you are enjoying your Shavemac. In my mind, they are the best brushes for the price, bar none. Really superlative.

I really like mine as well. I was a little concerned when I ordered mine (SMFII) that it would be too big for my face (24mm), but it turned out to be a perfect fit. It was as soft on my face as I expected when I ordered it, but what really surprised me was just how well it retained the heat of the water. It makes shaving even more of a pleasure. Also lathers hard soaps a lot better than I thought it would.

I've read several posts where people just don't like Shavemac, but I don't think I've heard why. I have one Shavemac brush and can't imagine a better brush. It lathers mu soap and cream easily and holds a ton of water. Plus it's just a beautiful brush.

proxy.php

I'm with you, but hey, some people value different characteristics in a brush I think. And faces are different as well. Whether this is actually a true Silver Tip or a Super, I am not sure. The tips of the bristles don't look pure white like the picts I've seen of the Plissons. But it's a great brush and am completely satisfied for the price I paid.

Have any of you tried a handmade Pure grade SM? I wonder how that would feel on the face, handmade with the tips intact, compared to a sheared brush. Would it be just as prickly, or softer, I wonder.

Honestly.... while it may ruffle some feathers - most of the "gentlemen" who do not care for shavemac are hell bent on "British"firms. Basically... they are in it for the name and reputation of a manufacture..... for instance, if Honda came out with a sports car that was $60K, looked JUST like a Ferrari and in every way, shape, and form was JUST as good - these same individuals would not be a fan of the Honda.... because it is a Honda - and not a "Ferrari." Get what I am stabbing at?

While this doesn't mean if you don't like shavemac - you are immedtiatly a "brand whore" but most of the guys who are not big fans.... if you review some of their posts, they tend to only like the most obscure, and expensive items few people have. To each their own. When shavemac was a SCREAMING deal - and used the stiffer, thicker bristle - there wasn't even a close competitior. Now that they've changed their bristle, hiked up their prices (in a time when Simpson of all companies LOWERED their prices) shavemac in my opinion is no longer in their position of power they once were. Personally I'll take a $130-$140 Simpson PJ2 Super over a $140 shavemac.... as it wasn't too long ago that Simpson was a $230+ shaving brush and the shavemac was a sub $100 shaving brush. While I wouldn't say the Simpson is "better" - I would say I personally prefer it, but by no means do I not think all of my shavemacs are superlative.

I don't like the the look of Shavemac brushes, they aren't readily availible in England but the pictures I've seen on this forum don't attract me to them at all. I much prefer the faux ivory look.

To each their own. When shavemac was a SCREAMING deal - and used the stiffer, thicker bristle - there wasn't even a close competitior. Now that they've changed their bristle, hiked up their prices (in a time when Simpson of all companies LOWERED their prices) shavemac in my opinion is no longer in their position of power they once were. Personally I'll take a $130-$140 Simpson PJ2 Super over a $140 shavemac....

VERY well said, Joel! I was one of Shavemac's biggest fans until the bristles changed and the prices went up. Their brushes are still very nice - and if I were just now starting I would still consider them phenomenal. However, the GREAT is the enemy of the GOOD. My older Shavemacs, including the SMF I, aren't going anywhere; that's for sure.

I always thought Simpsons were 'just a name' and that they were way overpriced (which they were). But given the recent pricing, it allowed me to try three of them. Let's just say my opinion has changed a bit...:biggrin:

Interesting...so the SMFI bristles are different than SMFII? wouldn't go near a faux ivory handle :) Woodgrain, oh yes, gorgeous. I think the tortoise looks very nice too. I'm sure a lot of the higher end English brushes are better than Shavemac...but I think, at this point at least, ignorance is bliss. ;)

javyn said:
Interesting...so the SMFI bristles are different than SMFII? wouldn't go near a faux ivory handle :) Woodgrain, oh yes, gorgeous. I think the tortoise looks very nice too. I'm sure a lot of the higher end English brushes are better than Shavemac...but I think, at this point at least, ignorance is bliss. ;)

I have to disagree with this point of view: the bristles of SMF1 and SMF 2 are the same: very soft and rather flexible.
Somewehere not so long before the producing of SMF 1 Bernd changed the bristles of his brushes on requests of his clients: they wanted a softer, more flexible type of bristle. Before this bristle adjustment the bristles were rather stiff and even barbed in many brushes; however, not all were barbed: when i purchased my Shavemacs in the spring of 2005 all were barbed except for one: the #220: this had the best of both worlds and is until this very day one of my all-time favourites (it was my absolute favourite for many months, but i mentioned in another thread that i haven't anymore........): it has very white bristle tips, a lot of stiffness, is very densely packed, but the tips are NOT barbed at all; this brush would be MY ideal shaving brush, if it not were for the handle, of which i'm not that enthousiast..... but the loft is really perfect imo......

I must say that, although the newer bristle type is luxuriously soft, i miss the lack of stifness in it; i like a more stiff bristle type because of the scrubbing and massaging qualities; also, the older Shavemacs keep there lightbulb shape much better than the newer ones; these tend to bloom more, while the older don't give a shrink.........

I reported on SMF 1 on the SMF forum and the first thing i mentioned was the fact that SMF 1 was totally different than my other, older Shavemacs.

As for the price/quality ratio i totally concur with Joel; were the Shavemacs about a year ago absolutely on number one in this regard, now they're approached by certain Simpsons if not even surpassed by some...

Most members on SMF as well as B&B know i have a lot of extremely expensive English (Simpsons) and French (Plisson) brushes, among them a Polo #14 Manchurian, a Plisson HMW #20, Rooney Finest in large f.i..

But, purchasing the Shavemacs last year i was immediately struck by their quality and their price; they were the best by far imo; and , taking the things written above in account, they still are a very good quality brush for a decent price, although not anymore the absolute no 1.......

Peter

I have 4 Shavemac brushes. SMF I and II, #22607 and a #181 (no longer on the website). Knot sizes are 26mm, 24mm, 26mm and 23mm. These are my "premium" brushes, and I love them everyone. The 26mm knots, for me, are on the edge of being too large. The 24mm knot seems just right. The one outstanding quality I find in the Shavemac brushes is that they "suck up" to your face. Soft tips, firm bristles, and just a joy to use. All are silvertip, so at some point I'll order a brush in the Pure or Finest line.

Randy

Top Bottom