What's new

Arko Normal Review Discussion Thread

Very interesting/informative review. I think "Normal" is the only scent that I did not include in my recent order. I'm curious to see if your overall opinion varies after using some of the other scents.

Once I've received/used mine, I too will post some thoughts.

Kyle said:
Very interesting/informative review. I think "Normal" is the only scent that I did not include in my recent order. I'm curious to see if your overall opinion varies after using some of the other scents.

Once I've received/used mine, I too will post some thoughts.

I've used the cooling, lemon and commando as well. No change of opinion :wink:

I'm quite neutral to all the Arko creams' scents- rather dull, and nothing to get excited about, but also nothing really horrible. (I have the commando, normal, cool and lemon creams)

However, I do rather like the smell of the soap. It's a nice, strong "clean" soapy smell. But then again, the scents cannot begin to compare to the higher quality english scents - those are just olfactory bliss. :tongue:

zacharydz said:
I'm quite neutral to all the Arko creams' scents- rather dull, and nothing to get excited about, but also nothing really horrible. (I have the commando, normal, cool and lemon creams)

However, I do rather like the smell of the soap. It's a nice, strong "clean" soapy smell. But then again, the scents cannot begin to compare to the higher quality english scents - those are just olfactory bliss. :tongue:

I agree, as I too think the soap is markedly superior (scent wise) and smells like fresh linen - but that is a whole diff review (to come)

I think the Palmolive Lather Cream far surpasses the efficacy of the Arko products (soap and cream). I know there are those who dislike the smell of the Palmolive, but to be honest, the scent is kind of growing on me as to where I quite like it. So, for a budget cream (that I think works just as well as the English creams, though definitely provides a different kind of lather) I would go with Palmolive. No shipping charges involved, and as cheap as can be...

Drew

I like Arco for what it is: An inexpensive alternative to higher priced creams. I too am neutral on the scents, but on all other matters of importance, Arco is very good. Price, lather, lubrication, and moisturizing are all top notch (imo). I get a very nice shave every time I use Arco. Packaging is very secondary in importance to me. If it adequately holds the cream and protects it from drying out and such, I really don't much care what the container looks like. The Arko tubes sure look a lot better than my beat up looking proraso tube. I will not get rid of my three T's, but I will continue to use and purchase Arko on a regular basis.

:smile: Scotto, it doesn't bug me in the least! I saw the review, not everybody can like Arko as much as I do. It's all about taste, my friend! :smile: Mike, I agree with you 1000%. It's what's in the tube that counts. oh, Scotto, I know a Turkish guy who hates Arko, he tells me I'm crazy for using it. He says it's the worst crap he ever shaved with. He loves Proraso and Crabtree & Evelyn.

Jeff

I agree with Mike as well.

Whenever I look at a product, I must take into account the VALUE of the product. Can I cut Arko some slack if the packaging isn't regal? YUP! For $1.99 a tub, (for the Commando) I sure can. I don't think the scents are wonderful, but I don't think they're awful, either. I place more empahsis on the quality of the shave/moisturizing effects. For me, I get great shaves with this stuff.

That said, it's "in the lineup" with my 30-some other "great" products - but I think it's a well-deserved place...

It's not the best, but far from the worst. Hey, if we all agreed, there would be no variety! :thumbup1:

crackstar said:
Zachary, how did you learn such great German? I forgot so much of mine, I'm embarassed. :blush:

Jeff

I'm a German Literature Major and I studied abroad in Berlin.

Toutefois je pense que ma français est assez mauvaise...:rolleyes:

seems like you place a strong emphasis on scent (subjective) and packaging as to how good a product is. Beyond those two categories you rated the stuff pretty darn good- lather, efficacy and moisturising almost averaging a score of 8, yet when it came to a quality rating you put a 5 on it, seems a little surprising that packaging and scent would be such deciding factors over performance.

With The Grain said:
seems like you place a strong emphasis on scent (subjective) and packaging as to how good a product is. Beyond those two categories you rated the stuff pretty darn good- lather, efficacy and moisturising almost averaging a score of 8, yet when it came to a quality rating you put a 5 on it, seems a little surprising that packaging and scent would be such deciding factors over performance.

If you notice - you say "seems a little surprising that packaging and scent would be such deciding factors over performance." - however all of the factors are weighed equally. Since you get the breakdown, you can come to a reasonaable conclusion (as you have) so while the overall score is a single number, it is ideal to look through the break down, and weight it on your own, as for many fellas, they do not care about packaging, scent, etc - where as for others it is optimal! Also - quality is not indicative of the over-all score, or of the "overall product" but at least for my ratings, of the QUALITY/CRAFTSMANSHIP in the product. Depending on the ingredients, the scent oils used (synthetic, natural, etc) the quality of the tube, threads on the tube, cap, jar, badger hair, knot, razor fit and finish, etc. The arko tube looks glued together, the cap is cheap, the packaging is cheap, it is made of low quality (albeit somewhat effective) ingredients, etc etc. Compare it to say salter shaving cream, and it is my opinion the Arko is garbage.

It's cheap, and it works... thats all Arko is to me.

I guess I'm coming into this topic late, but anyway, I figured I'd add my 2 cents..

I must say this has to be the all-time hot topic on B&B as far as products go..Everywhere I look I see Arko this & Arko that..So Kyle was nice enough to gift me a "tube" of this soap. Now, I'll preface this by saying that I'm a cream guy and have had not-so-good luck with soaps. That being said, I'm not crazy about the "soapy" scent of this particular blend. It reminds me of those old powder soap dispensers in elementary & junior high school. I mean, I'm going to keep trying it to see if the "soapy" scent grows on me, but so far, it's a little nauseating.

I couldn't disagree more with Joel about the lathering aspects...The lather just exploded with my old Shavemac 23mm Silvertip. I lathered the Arko side by side with the Tabac and got about the same results. I gave them both maybe 100 swirls and they both had great results.

Now, I haven't tried any other blends except for the regular shave tube, but the quality of shave wasn't as good as my other creams, but it did NOT dry out my face like the Tabac does. (One reason why my Tabac collection is for sale/trade).

I agree with Joel & Andrew-I certainly didn't get the "this is shaving mecca" feeling from the Arko so far. I've used it twice and will keep using it for a while just to see. I mean, the price is certainly right. But we'll see..I'd say the jury is still out but my socks are by no mean knocked off. Maybe I'd be more satisfied with the "cooling" stick. Maybe I'll buy one of those & find out. For me, scents are a HUGE part of the experience and I don't keep anything that doesn't do it for me scent wise.

I was told early on that scents are a HUGELY personal thing, so I totally believe that some folks here are on cloud 9 with this and I think that's awesome. That's what makes the world go round.

Top Bottom