What's new

Zy Vs Gold Dollar

I honed 2 ZY razors for a customer. There was a significant difference in the effort required to hone both. The newer model felt like carbon steel and shaved well. The other was much harder, either stainless or harder temper and did not shave well. Both had respectable grinds and better than the GD’s I have seen.

I would not consider one for my rotation and would rather look for a vintage of similar price.
Wow.
I bought mine some time ago but they shave pretty good.
Not as good as my vintage solingen blades but not worst than one of my new Dovo's.

Last edited:
I have 2 GD 1996, and 1 ZY, 1 GD 66.. The 2 1996 honed fine and shave fine I replaced the cheap scales on both modded the heel and tang and gave one a barbers notch, they're working razors that shave comfortably I didn't have to re-work the spine on them. They aren't in my rotation and wouldn't bat an eye at releasing them back into the wild.
IMG_20190725_212119.jpg
IMG_20190728_084720__01__01.jpg

I have 2 GD 1996, and 1 ZY, 1 GD 66.. The 2 1996 honed fine and shave fine I replaced the cheap scales on both modded the heel and tang and gave one a barbers notch, they're working razors that shave comfortably I didn't have to re-work the spine on them. They aren't in my rotation and wouldn't bat an eye at releasing them back into the wild.View attachment 1023240View attachment 1023241
What is the barbers notch for? Im kinda new with straights?

Apparently its only used to open the razor, nothing else. Not even sure if that correct but I cant think of any else it could be used for. Maybe used in some strange grip....

ok thanks i looked and according to wiki this is what it said about the notch....
Barber's notch.
The upper, rounded, edge of Barber's notch was designed to aid in pulling the blade from the scales.

so are the zy really any good?????
If I had to choose between a similarly priced vintage solingen/sheffield razor or a ZY to shave with , it would not be the later.

Different story if you want to learn to hone, I would not want to “destroy” a vintage to learn the trade.

If I had to choose between a similarly priced vintage solingen/sheffield razor or a ZY to shave with , it would not be the later.

Different story if you want to learn to hone, I would not want to “destroy” a vintage to learn the trade.
Yeah I'm trying to learn honing right now.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
What he said. It is a bit more ergonomic. Some guys dont like them and some guys dont care. Me, I like a thumb notch. Besides giving you IMHO a nicer grip, it also does away with a lot of excess steel, usually, that can interfere with honing. You don't NEED it. But you might WANT it. Look for pics of the Dovo Bismarck razor for a good example. Also about half the modded Gold Dollars in the annual modification competition have thumb notches as a consequence of grinding away the heel and thereby eliminating the stabilizer.

Top Bottom