What's new

Zy Vs Gold Dollar

Yup. Easy peesy. .Norton 1, 4/8 and cnat. That's about $150 total for all I think. Seems to me that despite having at one time 50 stones that a simple way works just as well.

Bill you are correct, at one time I thought I had to have every possible combination of stones and chased every new method looking for the best edge then Alfredo finally got me to settle down and master one method with a pretty simple setup, so for me it’s 1k if needed but I start mostly with a 4k then 8k,12k and JNAT, I can go from 8k to JNAT but the 12k just gets me done sooner, actually I have used a 1K and JNAT and stropped and got a very acceptable shave so if I had to I probably could get by with 2 stones but that’s no fun

15 degree angle? Do you mean a 15 degree heel leading angle, or a 15 degree honing angle? I do hope you are not lifting the spine up off the hone. You must never do that. The spine of the razor is your bevel guide. The spine and edge must both be on the hone. The edge must never touch the hone unless the spine is already on the hone. This is extremely important. You cannot simply sharpen a razor the way you sharpen a knife. If you do, you do not get a razor edge. You get a knife edge. If you have done this then you need to reset the bevel and remove a lot of steel in the process. You should probably spend a few weeks reading the forums before you attempt this again, if this is the extent of your knowledge of honing.

If you mean a 15 degree heel leading angle, this is not critical and can be adjusted at will, to suit the blade and particularly any shoulder or stabilzer issues.

Thank you for the information. Of course the spine and edges are touching at the same time. But I see that Chinese manufacturers don't do this. They just hone the razor like a knife and I wanted to correct it. The issue is not honing a quality German razor, it's honing a Chinese razor.

Here's mine I put up a few years back. There are many others. If you trim the heel slightly you will have an easier time. The scratching you hear in the video is the hone hitting the stabilizer as that razor was unmodded. Doesn't matter really as long as you are aware that a hook may develop that needs to be trimmed. 10 seconds with a rotary tool to remedy.

So you are using a 600 stone. Thank you.

I see this has turned mostly into a honing discussion, but I wanted to just say that I purchased a ZY "Grand Slam" razor off e-bay last week. Might take 2-3 weeks to arrive. I'll see what kind of shape it is in when it gets here, and find out whether it is really honed to "shave ready" or not.

Legion

Staff member
I see this has turned mostly into a honing discussion, but I wanted to just say that I purchased a ZY "Grand Slam" razor off e-bay last week. Might take 2-3 weeks to arrive. I'll see what kind of shape it is in when it gets here, and find out whether it is really honed to "shave ready" or not.
If it was bought from China, the odds of it being shave ready are slim. But that does not mean it will be a big deal to make it that way. My ZY took about ten minutes, and the grind was fine.

Last edited:
Kingfisher, very very doubtful it would shave unless it’s be touched on the stones by someone that knows how to correct the issues it will most likely have.

What's a "Grand Slam" ZY?

So, any of our resident honemeisters want to help out a newb and see if you can put a good edge on this thing when I get it? I could just immediately put it into the mail, rather than even trying it out, if you guys think that's the best idea.
I'm not soliciting a free honing, by the way. Just seeing if anybody here has the knowledge/skills/wherewithal to hone this one. Happy to discuss via PM, if anybody is interested. Thanks.

I've seen several of these posts in different forums & looked on eBay & different sites at GDs. "67 years old MASTER(SHIFU)" is a very busy person, working for many different distributors & is always the same age with the same grammatical error in all the descriptions I've seen. Hmmm.

I've seen several of these posts in different forums & looked on eBay & different sites at GDs. "67 years old MASTER(SHIFU)" is a very busy person, working for many different distributors & is always the same age with the same grammatical error in all the descriptions I've seen. Hmmm.
Are you saying this is a marketing gimmick? Lol. How about the guy who's honed more razors than McDonald's has sold hamburgers? Hahahaha.

This guy either doesn't exist our is the worst honemeister in the known universe.
When the razor arrived it was barely sharp enough to function as a letter opener.

This guy either doesn't exist our is the worst honemeister in the known universe.
When the razor arrived it was barely sharp enough to function as a letter opener.
The $7 or $8 razor shipped from.china doesn't have a world class edge on it? I've seen worse edges coming out of a famous honemeisters shop on $200 razors. I've seen first hand a good 50 of them.

The $7 or $8 razor shipped from.china doesn't have a world class edge on it? I've seen worse edges coming out of a famous honemeisters shop on $200 razors. I've seen first hand a good 50 of them.
I hear you about expectations. I'm not saying, however, that the blade wasn't shave ready, I'm saying it was dull.

I sent it off to William in Texas and he honed it for me. I'm told by the USPS that it was delivered to my house today.
So I'll find out soon enough of the razor can have a good edge put on it.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Are you saying this is a marketing gimmick? Lol. How about the guy who's honed more razors than McDonald's has sold hamburgers? Hahahaha.

He was exaggerating, about the McDonalds thing. He did say matter of factly though, that he hones over 10k razors a year, though. I haven't done the math yet...

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I hear you about expectations. I'm not saying, however, that the blade wasn't shave ready, I'm saying it was dull.

I sent it off to William in Texas and he honed it for me. I'm told by the USPS that it was delivered to my house today.
So I'll find out soon enough of the razor can have a good edge put on it.

Oh, it CAN be made to shave very decently, I'm pretty sure. The steel in the GD and ZY razors is certainly good enough, and the best shaves I get are from my own (modified) Gold Dollars. Every stock GD or ZY I have tried was capable of shaving when properly honed, which can of course sometimes include some corrective work. It won't shave on its own with no help from you, no matter how well honed. The shaver has to do his part, the honer as well. A bit of a slicing stroke goes a long way toward making the thick spined models shave nicely. The newer ones with the thinner spines, slice at your own risk.

Very important with these razors to not expect a great single pass shave. First pass is only for beard reduction, not beard elimination.

Stretch thoroughly. Prep carefully. Press lightly, stroke gracefully. Don't expect the first pass to leave you feeling like a 1974 Super Bowl commercial. Follow up with a second, or even a third WTG pass. Skip ATG/XTG until you are 4 or 5 shaves in. If in doubt, relather. Yes, even in the middle of a pass. Keep your lather nice and wet. Good shaves come with skill, skill comes with experience. The first shave, just concentrate on surviving with no cuts. Don't raise the angle too high. That's not shaving; that's scraping. A single spine thickness between spine and face is your standard shave angle.

Shaved with the newly honed ZY yesterday. William put a very sharp edge on it.

I was able to get CCS+ in three passes on the face. Still learning, so had to use my DE for parts of the neck. Handled the chin and mustache area pretty well.

So yeah, I'd have to say that a good shaving edge can be put onto this steel.

i find the ZY edges even among different razors are variable. i have 3 of them and since i bought them to learn to hone on i have no complaints that they weren't that great when they arrived.

A ZY 430 came with a little more of a toe angle than i like - but it's a good shaver now. A SS Grandslam has been brilliant from the start - not shave ready, but no major issues and then there was my wooden Grandslam which was a total dog on arrival:

new grandslam.jpg

i took an angle grinder to that before i could even start to hone it, but i learned more from that blade than any other. My Gold Dollar 66 is very similar to these and shaves really well. You can't beat them for the money.
i liked the scales on the ZY's more, but the new Gold Dollar razors are turning some heads.

T

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
i find the ZY edges even among different razors are variable. i have 3 of them and since i bought them to learn to hone on i have no complaints that they weren't that great when they arrived.

A ZY 430 came with a little more of a toe angle than i like - but it's a good shaver now. A SS Grandslam has been brilliant from the start - not shave ready, but no major issues and then there was my wooden Grandslam which was a total dog on arrival:

View attachment 872370

i took an angle grinder to that before i could even start to hone it, but i learned more from that blade than any other. My Gold Dollar 66 is very similar to these and shaves really well. You can't beat them for the money.
i liked the scales on the ZY's more, but the new Gold Dollar razors are turning some heads.

T

Nobody will ever beat the GD66 for the price, even the Chinese themselves. Cheapest I have bought them was $3.07/each. Shipped free from China. Even now, buying one at a time, you should be able to score one for $5 shipped. I love them because lurking inside all that chunky clunky steel is an insane vision of a razor that not only shaves great, but hones, feels, and looks great, too. Even with its humble coat of excess steel intact, it's still not bad.

Top Bottom