What's new

Zwift Cycling

Zwift is a computer program and connects to a bike trainer and your computer and puts you a virtual video game world to cycle. Sounds kind of silly, but it's pretty cool. I've always viewed indoor cycling as torture, but this program while I can't call it fun, it is tolerable and with it, I'm putting in the miles.

Works especially well if you have a smart trainer than can emulate hills. This thing can give you a serious hill workout and for someone like me that lives in Indiana, that's not something I can get outside at all.

The interface of the game puts you as an avatar, a cyclist that rides around their created world, Watopia, a large island or in modern London. You don't have to bother steering the game controls that, but the faster you pedal on your bike, the faster your avatar goes. There are workouts and group rides available too.

Like I said, I still would much rather be outside but for many areas that isn't realistic in the winter, so a trainer is the best way to load up the miles.

I haven't seen any info on this here and the program is pretty new, so I wanted to post about it. It runs on a monthly subscription for $10 a month. FYI, I have no affiliation with this company, it was just something cool I found a few months ago.

This reminds me of a scene from You, Me and Dupree where Owen Wilson is trying to chase down Lance Armstrong on a recorded portion of the Tour de France. Personally, I've never had a problem with treadmills or stationary bikes, but this would certainly make things more interesting!

Zwift is a computer program and connects to a bike trainer and your computer and puts you a virtual video game world to cycle. Sounds kind of silly, but it's pretty cool. I've always viewed indoor cycling as torture, but this program while I can't call it fun, it is tolerable and with it, I'm putting in the miles.

Works especially well if you have a smart trainer than can emulate hills. This thing can give you a serious hill workout and for someone like me that lives in Indiana, that's not something I can get outside at all.

The interface of the game puts you as an avatar, a cyclist that rides around their created world, Watopia, a large island or in modern London. You don't have to bother steering the game controls that, but the faster you pedal on your bike, the faster your avatar goes. There are workouts and group rides available too.

Like I said, I still would much rather be outside but for many areas that isn't realistic in the winter, so a trainer is the best way to load up the miles.

I haven't seen any info on this here and the program is pretty new, so I wanted to post about it. It runs on a monthly subscription for $10 a month. FYI, I have no affiliation with this company, it was just something cool I found a few months ago.

I'd seen it before ... been around a few years actually (I think I saw it in Bicycling magazine originally, and then Jens Voight was repping for it over the past couple of years.

It sounds awesome, but I don't have a smart trainer yet, and I'm REALLY hoping to be able to ride outdoors by late March, so I don't think I could justify the expense for the trainer at this point, but maybe next winter.

I'd love to use a program like this. Sadly, I'm in a tiny apartment for a while with a spouse and 2 kids, so there's no room for my bike. I miss my flat, safe levee and mild temperatures in New Orleans.

I was checking these out over the past weekend--a few of our local bike shops were having winter tune up specials, so I dropped mine off to get repaired. They're nice, but really expensive (about $1200 for the model in which you remove your rear wheel and attach the chain to the trainer). You can also get one that operates like a Kurt Kinetic (you use your own rear wheel and tire) for about $600.

More companies are coming out with models in late summer. I'm hopeful that competition will drive the price down a little.

I was checking these out over the past weekend--a few of our local bike shops were having winter tune up specials, so I dropped mine off to get repaired. They're nice, but really expensive (about $1200 for the model in which you remove your rear wheel and attach the chain to the trainer). You can also get one that operates like a Kurt Kinetic (you use your own rear wheel and tire) for about $600.

More companies are coming out with models in late summer. I'm hopeful that competition will drive the price down a little.

I have the Kurt Kinetic Smart Control Road Machine, I think I paid about 550 on Amazon. Other less expensive trainers work, but don't fully utilize the features of the program. Agreed though, as the technology becomes more commonplace, prices should drop.

Top Bottom