What's new

Zorrik Super Platinum

These blades are incredible.

Some back story: I am currently in South Africa and it is impossible to find local razor blades in my area. The only place I've found that's reliable, safe and easy to use is Takealot.com but razors are often extremely expensive. I am pretty new to the double-edge safety razor scene since I started at the beginning of March when I bought a clone Merkur Futur and got a 10-pack of Bluebeards Revenge blades that felt pretty okay but I got them for a whopping R155! for 10 blades. You can convert that into your local currency but here R155 for 10 razor blades is insane but I went ahead because I wanted to go with the safer option.

Fast Forward a couple of months to June, I was running low on my 10 blades, which lasted very long, I have to admit. So I went back to takealot and did some searching then stumbled across some Zorrik Blades. I have never seen this brand anywhere and reviews were very scarce. So I went ahead and bought a 60 pack for R200, in my mind R45 more for 50 more blades was a great deal. They arrived on the 6th of June and it's been 4 shaves since then.

TLDR; They have been amazing, with my Merkur Futur clone on setting 4.5(out of 6) and 3 passes I haven't had a single cut or accident and my face has stayed BBS without any pain. Amazing but I know there's much more out there with way better performance, so if you the reader who stumbles across this post could please recommend some Razors that would be greatly appreciated. I am feeling positive about the next 100 shaves with these blades.

Equipment:

Attachments

• Razor Housing.jpg
    Razor Housing.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • Razor Pack.jpg
    Razor Pack.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • Razor.jpg
    Razor.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I only know Zorin Industries from Bond movies and that South African aftershaves are usually Musk scented.

But I am probably wrong. 😎

I recently always suggested the Lupo .95 OC, but I am not aware what's readily available in South Africa.

Have a nice day and great shaves!

Actually, the Zorrik SP are (near)top level blades. They are the same as Super-Max SP, but usually packaged for domestic consumption. I am afraid you are going to get bombarded with blade recommendations and they may not be any better than what you have. I don't know the SA market well enough to make recommendations, but you should find a way to try Gillette Silver Blue as they are a bit of a reference standard and around the same sharpness. Nice review.

If I have some time, I will check out your retailer's website to see what they stock and make some recommendations.

I like most Indian blades, are among my favorites. Here in Brazil I buy them from eBay directly from India with included shipping.

Despite of shaving forums around the Internet have several horror histories of people that bleed severely in the jugular and almost kill themselves at bathroom after trying an Indian,Pakistani or Bangladeshi blade.

OK, I am back with some coffee browsing your website

-Gillette Minora Platinums are hard to get and something you should have a few of.
-100 Schick are known as Wilkinson Sword in other markets, these should be the exact same and are a good value on sale right now.
-Just below, confusingly, is the Gillette Wilkinson Swords. Those are made in India and a favourite blade of mine and a few others. They will be similar sharpness, a little more maybe, to your Zorriks.
-I see Q shave, those are well liked for CN blade by some. I haven't tried them yet
-I see BICs are pretty expensive for you, they are really sharp and can be razor sensitive.
-Confusingly, the Super-Max Blue Diamond are more than yours and are the base model blade. I don't care for these myself.
-Oh no, this place is like Amazon! Those Schicks are offered at 2 very different prices from different sellers, I would probably trust Yaqi SA for more money.
-Regular Minoras are fine, but not equal to the Schicks for the same price!
-It looks like you can get Gillette Platinums and a few others, but I don't know about the seller. No Silver Blue.

I don't see anything else worth bothering with on there. I am going to go pull my hair out now, hope this helps!

OK, I am back with some coffee browsing your website

-Gillette Minora Platinums are hard to get and something you should have a few of.
-100 Schick are known as Wilkinson Sword in other markets, these should be the exact same and are a good value on sale right now.
-Just below, confusingly, is the Gillette Wilkinson Swords. Those are made in India and a favourite blade of mine and a few others. They will be similar sharpness, a little more maybe, to your Zorriks.
-I see Q shave, those are well liked for CN blade by some. I haven't tried them yet
-I see BICs are pretty expensive for you, they are really sharp and can be razor sensitive.
-Confusingly, the Super-Max Blue Diamond are more than yours and are the base model blade. I don't care for these myself.
-Oh no, this place is like Amazon! Those Schicks are offered at 2 very different prices from different sellers, I would probably trust Yaqi SA for more money.
-Regular Minoras are fine, but not equal to the Schicks for the same price!
-It looks like you can get Gillette Platinums and a few others, but I don't know about the seller. No Silver Blue.

I don't see anything else worth bothering with on there. I am going to go pull my hair out now, hope this helps!
Thanks! I will definitely try out the Schicks, the Gillette Wilkinson Sword looks nicer but kind of expensive compared to the Schicks. I'm also pretty interested in the BICs but you said they can be Razor sensitive, is there a razor you'd recommend? Otherwise thanks for the suggestions I will definitely look into them!

Thanks! I will definitely try out the Schicks, the Gillette Wilkinson Sword looks nicer but kind of expensive compared to the Schicks. I'm also pretty interested in the BICs but you said they can be Razor sensitive, is there a razor you'd recommend? Otherwise thanks for the suggestions I will definitely look into them!
I didn't run any conversions, just went with prices on your website... Gillette Wilkinson Swords are the base model Gillette in India and are a screaming value. That's why I mentioned the Schicks on sale, those are a premium offering. Though as I said, the blades you got are pretty good.

It's hard to recommend a razor, I assume most stuff is re-labeled CN for your market. You might consider trying the Yaqi store on Ali Express, I bet you could get everything you need without the markup. I am not a fan of copying other's intellectual property, but they have a clone of the Henson. It's supposedly not bad and should work well with BICs, no guarantee. I would probably try to figure out which countries export to SA at a reasonable price and then look for brands from there. Maybe Stando in Poland? There are others in EU, but you might not be impressed with the pot metal razors for how much they are going to cost considering you have a knock off already. Maybe Pearl from India?

Reactions: edw
This is an extreme case of YMMV. In my experience Zorrik = horrik. Worst blade I ever used.

Was it plain zorrick or zorrick super platinum?

Two completely different blades. The zorrick are made using a technological breakthrough...a special form of ragged tin can!!

The SP on the other hand is a decent blade!

I live in UK and can buy blades from India through ebay. I bought Laser blades, £12 for 400 blades. That price includes VAT and postage. I have no problem with them. I wouldn't touch Gillette - overpriced to make you think they are the best, and to make them rich.
From ebay you can buy most blade brands, and cheaper than elsewhere.

I live in UK and can buy blades from India through ebay. I bought Laser blades, £12 for 400 blades. That price includes VAT and postage. I have no problem with them. I wouldn't touch Gillette - overpriced to make you think they are the best, and to make them rich.
From ebay you can buy most blade brands, and cheaper than elsewhere.
Same to me in Brazil, ordered a lot of Indian blades. This week ordered 550 Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades for US$ 22.41 shipped.

These blades are incredible.

Some back story: I am currently in South Africa and it is impossible to find local razor blades in my area. The only place I've found that's reliable, safe and easy to use is Takealot.com but razors are often extremely expensive. I am pretty new to the double-edge safety razor scene since I started at the beginning of March when I bought a clone Merkur Futur and got a 10-pack of Bluebeards Revenge blades that felt pretty okay but I got them for a whopping R155! for 10 blades. You can convert that into your local currency but here R155 for 10 razor blades is insane but I went ahead because I wanted to go with the safer option.

Fast Forward a couple of months to June, I was running low on my 10 blades, which lasted very long, I have to admit. So I went back to takealot and did some searching then stumbled across some Zorrik Blades. I have never seen this brand anywhere and reviews were very scarce. So I went ahead and bought a 60 pack for R200, in my mind R45 more for 50 more blades was a great deal. They arrived on the 6th of June and it's been 4 shaves since then.

TLDR; They have been amazing, with my Merkur Futur clone on setting 4.5(out of 6) and 3 passes I haven't had a single cut or accident and my face has stayed BBS without any pain. Amazing but I know there's much more out there with way better performance, so if you the reader who stumbles across this post could please recommend some Razors that would be greatly appreciated. I am feeling positive about the next 100 shaves with these blades.

Equipment:

Sorry for the necropost, but for the benefit of potential future readers from SA: Don't buy from Bluebeards Revenge or from Beard Boys. They both charge ridiculous prices for single tucks of 5 blades. For the prices they're charging, you could almost buy a full 100-pack of any brand available in the country. In fact, the prices they are charging for a tuck of Minora Stainless/Platinum is more than what you pay for a 100 of either from AwesomeDealz on Takealot/Bobshop.

Both River Valley Trading and Master Soap Creations/Yaqi South Africa sell cards/100-packs of blades for decent prices. RVT does get Feather and Gillette Perma Sharp blades on occasion as well.

Top Bottom