GRUME28/30 (100%)
NOCvember
28/30 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 2/3
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)CB Curve (1)
(NW-SE curving to NE-SW | cheeks and neck)
Gillette Slide (2)
(NW-SE | cheeks & S-N | neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Mühle R41
Gillette EFBT with Blue Lasta handle
Timor (2)
Bolzano (7)
Kox Blue Synthetic
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Geen
Proraso Green
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Floïd's The Genuine (AS)
Stirling Executive Man (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
8/10 (~20 minutes)8.5/10 (some minor weepers ATG)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

A great shave this morning with the Mühle at bat first. It took care of almost all the stubble on the first pass. The Timor blade behaves well in the R41. Sharp, smooth and comfortable - liking that! Next up was the Tech and on the cheeks it almost felt I wasn't using a blade at all. ATG to finish everything off and BBS was smooth and comfortable.

Two more days in GRUME November and two more days of enjoyment in NOCvember! And my first anniversary is coming up too: one year of DE shaving (and not going back to something else!).

Detailed shave notes can be found: here

Enjoy your days everyone!

Date
365 days of shaving349/345
(100%)
GRUME December12/31 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 2/3
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)first pass cheeks: CB Curve (NW-SE curving to NE-SW)
second pass cheeks: Gillette Slide (NW-SE | cheeks)
first pass neck: Gillette Slant (NW-SE)
second pass neck: Gillette Slant (SE-NW | neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(SW-NE | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Mühle R41 with Blue Lasta handleTimor (7)
DVH Synthetic
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Haslinger Sandelholz
Face and bowl lathered
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)9/10 (One weepers)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+)
7/10 (Harsh)

Notes to today’s shave:

Another ride with the R41 and the Timor blade which are turning into a trusted combination. The blade had come to an end though and I retired it after the shave. It was not as smooth as last time and felt harsh, bordering on tuggy. Still it performed extremely well in terms of shave quality. Because the harshness (with some very minor weepers) was there from the WTG pass, I did the ATG using a reversed Gillette Slant stroke without going S-N head-on. This prevented me from incurring more weepers or nicks. Today that worked out very well. Even rubbing S-N on my cheeks post shave feels rather smooth. So maybe this stroke is a keeper as an alternative S-N ATG.

Face lathered again. This time taking the advice from Jack and making sure my lather was wetter / more runny. Still not the best of luck with Haslinger. It is a very forgiving soap no matter how you treat it, but I wasn't getting into the groove. Took out my Proraso bowl and whipped up my lather and completed the face lathering with a consistent and slick layer. And I noticed that the scent is still there post shave even though I do not really smell it in the tub.

Everything else was as it should be for this shave. Just a wonderful start of the week.

Enjoy your shaves!

20221211_150315-01-01-01.jpeg
What a splendid shave... A fresh Feather more than often causes a tiny little weeper or two on my face, with almost every shaver... but not this time. BBS after two passes. This heck of a razor (aka R41 GS) mowed down my stubble like nobody's business. 👍

Friday shave...

Razor: R41 (cast metal version)
Blade: RK Stainless (3rd use)
Pre-shave: Dab of hair conditioner rubbed into neck
Cream: Palmolive (red tube)

The R41 is definitely one of my favorites. I like the blade feel and can tell exactly what it's doing. A very light touch with this razor gives me consistently good and close shaves!

Wednesday's shave -

Razor: R41 GS
Blade: RK Stainless (4th/final use)
Lather: Stirling Spice
Aftershave: Nivea sensitive cool (w/added menthol powder)

The R41 GS works well steep. Today's lather was on the wetter side, and instead of pre-shave I applied some lather and then worked it into the skin with my fingertips (the same way I do with pre-shave). This seemed to work well for me. I also use a fingertip sprayer to prevent applied lather from getting too dry. Short, no-pressure strokes with the R41 yielded a nice, close, and irritation-free shave. 👍

Last year I had the good fortune of acquiring a stainless steel R41 ("R41 GS"). It is a great razor and nicely efficient, although the stock handle is a bit large.

Earlier this year, I acquired an R89 with a tortoiseshell handle ("R103"). Another fine razor.

This morning, I decided to try the tortoiseshell handle with the stainless steel R41 head. The tortoiseshell handle is fairly light, so the weight is mostly in the head when used with the lighter handle. This is a very good configuration and gave me a great shave!

Very late to this party.
My 2011 R41 is paired with a Weber Bulldog handle. Shaving "Nirvana".
Took me about a month of shaving with it daily. For my face, I get better results when I "ride the scallops", as opposed to "riding the cap". YMMV.

I was just wondering if anyone can confirm something for me. I thought it'd make more sense to just ask here rather than starting a whole thread for a simple little question.

Basically, I just wanted to know.. while they certainly look the same, is the R41 handle and the R89 handle identical? Meaning the regular handle.. not the Grande or the Twist.

The reason I ask.. I already own an R89. I was thinking of getting an R41 and I see you can get the head for about half the price of the head and handle.

I figured if the handles are the exact same.. as in Muhle use the same handle for both R41 and R89.. maybe I could just get the R41 head rather than buying the whole razor.

Then it would be like when you buy some razors they give you the closed comb and open comb heads and one handle for both.

Or maybe I should buy the full R41 with handle if for nothing else but display purposes/keeping the heads on something rather than laying around loose.

But regardless of what I choose just was curious if they use the same handle for both razors. I'm pretty confident that they are, I just wanted to be certain.

Thanks,

I was just wondering if anyone can confirm something for me. I thought it'd make more sense to just ask here rather than starting a whole thread for a simple little question.

Basically, I just wanted to know.. while they certainly look the same, is the R41 handle and the R89 handle identical? Meaning the regular handle.. not the Grande or the Twist.

The reason I ask.. I already own an R89. I was thinking of getting an R41 and I see you can get the head for about half the price of the head and handle.

I figured if the handles are the exact same.. as in Muhle use the same handle for both R41 and R89.. maybe I could just get the R41 head rather than buying the whole razor.

Then it would be like when you buy some razors they give you the closed comb and open comb heads and one handle for both.

Or maybe I should buy the full R41 with handle if for nothing else but display purposes/keeping the heads on something rather than laying around loose.

But regardless of what I choose just was curious if they use the same handle for both razors. I'm pretty confident that they are, I just wanted to be certain.

Thanks,

You can interchange the handles, they look just the same. I didn't buy the complete R41 razor, only the head as a replacement part.

I put a short stainless steel handle on my R41 head, since I like the grip and feel of that handle more than the Muhle one. Most modern standard razor handles will interchange (M5 thread).

You can interchange the handles, they look just the same. I didn't buy the complete R41 razor, only the head as a replacement part.

I put a short stainless steel handle on my R41 head, since I like the grip and feel of that handle more than the Muhle one. Most modern standard razor handles will interchange (M5 thread).

Thank you! Oh yeah, I knew they were interchangeable, I was just asking to know if I bought a R41 head and put it on the R89 handle would it technically be an R41 if that makes sense! 😄 Probably OCD to blame there.. wondering if it would be a "true R41" or not!

I also saw somewhere that a lot of people buy an R41 and combine it with a Razorock handle, I saw the "Bulldog" variant mentioned a few times. I'd been looking for those Razorock handles but I haven't really seen any for sale anywhere here.

The handles are indeed identical.

Thanks very much for that! Good to know! 😊 I'll maybe pick up the R41 head on it's own in that case!

Mine has got a Maggard Razors polished stainless handle, model MR11. It's similar to the older Weber handles, not too long and massive

You will probably want to avoid the really heavy handles with the R41 to keep the razor balanced. This handle, with the polished look, matches well with the R41 head.

Dimensions:
Handle Length: 80mm (3.14")
Handle Weight: 58g
Handle diameter: 12.5mm (0.485")

1697251582203.png

Last edited:

Thanks,
I asked the same question a while ago and was told it is the same handle from someone who owned both razors. My first DE razor was the R89 and I later bought the 2013 R41 razor head from Maggard Razors to try it out. I have used a variety of handles with the R41 head but last time I used it, I used the R89 handle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom