What's new

Zookeepers of the Muhle R41 BEAST

I have heard many say the R41 gives them a rough shave. I have learned the "no pressure" rule quite well with this razor. For me it does exactly what a razor is supposed to do and does it efficiently. The very attractive design is an added bonus!

anyone else think the aggression of th muhle r41 is a bit exaggerated?#

i find it to be one of the most comfortabe razors to use
I agree, where the R41 original 2014 is concerned, got the. stainless version a month ago and there is a learning curve. Maybe it is the extra weight or maybe, as I have read, the 'teeth' of the comb are different than the zamak head? Whatever the reason, the shave angle has to be adjusted to work for me. In any case, careful technique and no pressure tame the beast, whichever version is used.

Thursday's shave -

Razor: R41 stainless
Blade: RK Stainless (1st use)
Brush: Razorock "Disruptor"
Lather: Godrej Cinthol
Aftershave: Nivea sensitive cool with some added menthol powder

Experimented today. A damp (not wet) brush with a dollop of the shaving cream yielded a nice lather. Once again the R41 provided me a very high quality and irritation-free shave.

I have an R41 on the way... It was on sale at the Muhle site. @CCS mentioned it the other day. It's in care of German Post until it gets shipped to the States. I doubt I'll see it before the beginning of November.
Congrats! 😀
I am surprised to see that your order was still attractive.... I mean, international shipping, import sales tax...?

Which variant did you order as far as the handle is concerned?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Jahe, the Tortoise shell... We don't have an import sales tax. $39.22 with shipping. I could have purchased just the R41 head from Amazon for $25 or a complete razor with the metal chrome handle for $55. I wanted to also buy the little stand... the one where the razor is stored head down but Muhle is out of them at their site. I ended up buying a 37C HD from Ireland from a place that had the stand in stock.. but they only had one... so I got the second one from ESC in the Scotland. LOL That was expensive because their international shipping is pretty expensive. I needed a bullet stand for one of my Claymore Evolutions because I bought just a head at one time.

I dropped out of the Matador bidding, just to let you know. I have been buying too many DE razors lately. I still have a few already here that I haven't tried yet... and two more on the way.

Let's see... in case you are interested... razors yet to try:

1. British Raised Flat Bottom (replated by Chris Spencer @Back Roads Gold)
2. RazoRock Lupo w/72SB and 95OC
3. Pearl Flexi
4. British Rocket HD
5. PAA Filament Open Comb Slant
6. Gillette Super Speed: 1953 2nd Quarter Y2.. my birth razor, gifted by @luvmysuper (thanks, Phil)
7. Muhle R41 (on the way)
8. Merkur 37C HD (on the way)

So you can see why I backed out of the Matador bidding... good luck with your bidding, Jahe.

the one where the razor is stored head down but Muhle is out of them at their site.
Good thing you didn’t as that would mean that the Zamak head would be upside down and therefore be in more water contact leading to potentially bad things to the threads (I do need to attest that this is from reading other threads, but the idea makes sense to me).

And an excellent price including shipping! I think I would need to pay more and Mühle is just on the other side of the border! Well, they sell them directly in the Netherlands too but free shipping would most likely require additional purchases.

Guido

Jahe, the Tortoise shell... We don't have an import sales tax. $39.22 with shipping. I could have purchased just the R41 head from Amazon for $25 or a complete razor with the metal chrome handle for $55. I wanted to also buy the little stand... the one where the razor is stored head down but Muhle is out of them at their site. I ended up buying a 37C HD from Ireland from a place that had the stand in stock.. but they only had one... so I got the second one from ESC in the Scotland. LOL That was expensive because their international shipping is pretty expensive. I needed a bullet stand for one of my Claymore Evolutions because I bought just a head at one time.

I dropped out of the Matador bidding, just to let you know. I have been buying too many DE razors lately. I still have a few already here that I haven't tried yet... and two more on the way.

Let's see... in case you are interested... razors yet to try:

1. British Raised Flat Bottom (replated by Chris Spencer @Back Roads Gold)
2. RazoRock Lupo w/72SB and 95OC
3. Pearl Flexi
4. British Rocket HD
5. PAA Filament Open Comb Slant
6. Gillette Super Speed: 1953 2nd Quarter Y2.. my birth razor, gifted by @luvmysuper (thanks, Phil)
7. Muhle R41 (on the way)
8. Merkur 37C HD (on the way)

So you can see why I backed out of the Matador bidding... good luck with your bidding, Jahe.
Yeah, I see. Quite some work to do...

I'm sure you'll enjoy the handle. It's lightweighted yet pretty to look at. I had one of attached to a R89 head, but I sold them off as a bundle.

As for the bid, I'll have to think again about whether or not I go over my set limit.... but thanks for the tip 👍 😀

And an excellent price including shipping! I think I would need to pay more and Mühle is just on the other side of the border! Well, they sell them directly in the Netherlands too but free shipping would most likely require additional purchases.

Guido
Perhaps consider the dutch version of the river... 36 Euros. 😉 This bargain was presented to you by Enablers Inc Germany 🤣

Perhaps consider the dutch version of the river... 36 Euros. 😉 This bargain was presented by Enablers Inc Germany 🤣
LOL - that’s the amount here too depending on if you want extra or not. The tortoise handle is magnificent.

We thank our sister company - word from the Dutch Supervisory Board however has it that it fails the business case assessment criteria…:ouch1:

Date
365 days of shaving313/311
(100%)
GRUME07/30 (100%)
NOCvember
07/30 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 1/3
Timor 0/3
Eddison 1/3

Passes2 and touch up
WXTGGillette Slide/Slant
(NE-SW)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Efficiency & Effectiveness
Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
8.5/10 (BBS-)
10/10 (Clean)
10/10 (Comfortable)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Mühle R41
Matador with Lasta Blue handle
Eddison (1)
German Bolzano (4)
Omega Super Badger
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
AlphaMen 2.0 (Creed Clone)
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Chanel Allure (Balm)

Notes to today’s shave:

The fourth shave with the first Bolzano blade (in Matador) and first shave with the first Eddison blade in the R41. The Eddison is an excellent blade! First pass with the R41 and if I have the first pass a bit more attention this could have been a one pass BBS shave! Really smooth and comfortable - not buttery smooth but close.

The fourth running of the Bolzano in the Matador was equally satisfying. This was buttery smooth. ATG without any problems. And BBS was there.

Nothing much to add today. Soap and everything else was performing as usual.

Excellent start of the day!

Date
365 days of shaving320/318
(100%)
GRUME14/30 (100%)
NOCvember
14/30 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 1/3
Timor 1/3
Eddison 1/3

Passes3 and touch up
WXTGGillette Slant
(NE-SW | cheeks and neck)
XTGGillette Sideways Slant
(NE-SW | cheeks)
(S-N | neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Efficiency & Effectiveness
Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
8/10 (DFS+)
8/10 (One nick and some minor weepers)
8/10 (Comfortable)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Matador Deluxe
Mühle R41
Timor (2) and Timor (3)DVH Synthetic
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Kox Bergamot (Matador)
Kox Enamel
Haslinger Sandelholz (R41)
Cold splash
Floïd's The Genuine (AS)
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)

Notes to today’s shave:

This shave was actually spread across time. I did a single ATG yesterday evening with the Matador just before going to bed. I wanted to see and feel how I would experience that. It was ok as the Matador is a delight to use, but going straight ATG is not my particular cup of tea - at least not when using a Timor blade.

I followed up with the R41 this morning doing the WTG and XTG passes with Haslinger. The R41 controls the Timor blade a lot better. I got this idea from @SgtCrppls who mentioned the Timor blade is an excellent pairing with his Wolfman. Now, I do not own a Wolfman, but I was inspired by the Wolfman's clamping ability and hence my idea to use the R41. It made it the best shave yet with the Timor blade - still below usual performance with other blades.

Near BBS this morning and therefore I am a happy bunny. Cannot wait for the mail to arrive, but I fear my patience will be tested again today!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
anyone else think the aggression of th muhle r41 is a bit exaggerated?#

i find it to be one of the most comfortabe razors to use

Whe I first started using it, DSCosmetic Z0 clone, it was... different...had to pay attention. Now, after buying the stainless version of the Muhle and shaving with it for a while...I've grown used to it and it's fine. Great razor!

How much is an R41 these days? (Maybe you're not allowed to ask or tell that? - mods, please strike this comment if you are not)

I got mine in spring of 2016, and it cost me £17.41, including postage cost, from Amazon (at the time, that was around 23ish dollars I should think).

Top Bottom