What's new

Zookeepers of the Muhle R41 BEAST

Tuesday shave -

Razor: R41 stainless
Blade: RK Stainless (1st use)
Pre-shave: Shave Secret
Soap: Proraso green

The R41 is the current king of the StewB shave den. This razor is a modern classic IMO. Good looks, superb performance, and no drama. 9.5/10

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Today's shave with the R41:

A_20221004_085807_HDR.jpg

Has anyone done a comparison of 2011 and 2013 Classic handles as opposed to the head?
I haven't seen one. But doesn't the handle have less of an impact on the performance, relatively speaking, than the head? My understanding is that the 2011 and 2013 baseplates are the same and what changed was the top cap.

I haven't seen one. But doesn't the handle have less of an impact on the performance, relatively speaking, than the head? My understanding is that the 2011 and 2013 baseplates are the same and what changed was the top cap.
There is such little change that I’m sure the handle will make zero difference unless it’s got more grip and I don’t think it does. Appearance might differ though?

Date
365 days of shaving282/282 (100%)
GRUME30/31 (97% out)
OCtober9/31 (100)
Tabactober4/31 (87%)

Passes2
WTGGillette Slant
(NE-SW)

ATGStraight
(S-N)

Efficiency & Effectiveness
Quality & Comfort
9/10 (~15 minutes)
9/10 (BBS)
9/10 (Minor weepers)
10/10 (Glidefest)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Mühle R41
Feather (1)
Omega Super Badger
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Tallowbac
Kox Enamel & Proraso
Cold splash
KCG face wash
Proraso Green (balm)

Notes:

Tabac lather extremely well this morning providing an excellent cushion. The razor and blade were awesome! Two pass shave and I was baby smooth!! I could have taken it further but stopped while I was ahead. I also did nothing fancy like Gillette Slides. I will use the same combo tomorrow.

@Jack Goossen - thank you for this wonderful suggestion and opportunity to try a Feather for the very first time. I had an excellent shave.

Let’s see where this blade can take me. @LJBraaten - LJ keep an eye in the rear view mirror, I am gaining on you. First shave in! :lol::thumbup:

Journal link:

Link to today's ponderings: A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11960425

Date
365 days of shaving283/283 (100%)
GRUME30/31 (97% out)
OCtober10/31 (100%)
Tabactober5/31 (99%)

Passes2
WTGGillette Slant
(NE-SW)

ATGStraight
(S-N)

Efficiency & Effectiveness
Quality & Comfort
9/10 (~15 minutes)
9/10 (BBS)
7/10 (Nicked under my nose)
9/10 (Buttery smooth)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Mühle R41
Feather (2)
Razorock Plissoft 400
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Tallowbac
Kox Enamel & Proraso
Cold splash
Proraso Green (balm)

Notes:

After only one pass I was already pretty smooth - CCS level. Second pass was the money pass and BBS the reward. Extremely good combination so far with the R41.

Journal link:

Link to today's ponderings: A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11961548

I had a little bit of residual neck irritation from my shave 2 days ago. Today's shave with the R41 took off the stubble in the irritated areas in one pass and didn't further irritate my skin because it efficiently removed the stubble in one pass (less blade time touching face = less possibility of irritation). Overall shave results were excellent, of course.

For those that haven't tried the R41: You might be missing out on a great razor.

hey so how do you find guys find the SS and titanium muhle r41 compared to the standard one?

btw just curious which muhle r41 do you have?
with some of your lots shvaing dens i assume someones got all three? lool

hey so how do you find guys find the SS and titanium muhle r41 compared to the standard one?

btw just curious which muhle r41 do you have?
with some of your lots shvaing dens i assume someones got all three? lool
I ditched the SS version because the shaves with it were rather rough. The London Edition Ti that I have performs like the zamak versions i.e. superbly. It looks bloody gorgeous too 🙂
IMG_20220930_180234390~2.jpg

Last edited:
I have the stainless steel and the cast metal version. Unlike @Trollky I like the stainless steel one a tiny bit better because of the extra weight, but the cast metal version is great also.
I suspect Muhle refined their machining as they went because some of the initial user feedback was rather underwhelming (sharp teeth, rough shave) but user feedback improved noticeably as time went by.

I lucked out and happened to walk into their London store the day after they launched the razor 🙂

Top Bottom