What's new

Zomchi DE razor

I just ran across this DE razor that looks like it's made well for only $19.99. It's called a Zomchi. It just caught my eye. Anyone looking to try an inexpensive razor that looks to be made of good quality this could be worth a try. Not a big risk.

Zomchi.jpg
Zomchi2.jpg

You have asked a reasonable question. I don't know the answer. If you have $20 to burn, buy one. I say burn because there's a good chance you will only attempt to shave with this razor once, then stick it in a drawer.

However, this depends on what sort of razor you are looking for. If you are looking for an EXTREMELY mild razor that looks cute, you might like this. If you are looking for a good, cheap razor, you can do better.

This looks like a MÜHLE R89, and there are some generic knockoffs that are good. However, the Chinese have designed a head that looks like one, but shaves like a butter knife. The two alignment posts are much narrower even than a Fatip/Schone. So the blade alignment is all over the place. But the side tabs are covered. You can press against the blade edge to move the blade around and make one side more aggressive. But if you center the blade, there will be almost no blade contact with your face. Also, the bottom plate can shift all over the place because its holes are bigger than the alignment pins, and the pins only come partway down into the plate. From the picture, you can see this, if you look closely.

If the tabs were exposed, at least you could adjust the blade easily. But people keep whining about how the tabs are going to shred their faces to ribbons, so now the Chinese have decided to hide them. The tabs are unsharpened, and have been there for 100 years to allow users to adjust the position of the blade. You do not hide tabs on a razor with alignment pins, especially ones that are the narrowest ever used on a DE razor.

For an experienced DE user, this design is an insult to the intelligence. To an inexperienced shaver, the razor could be a puzzle that produces inconsistent results. Looking at photos online, it appears the cheap generic razor market is being flooded with these badly designed razors.

If you want advice on a good, inexpensive razor, I imagine you could get some good suggestions.

Has anyone else out there gotten stuck with one of these dogs? What were the designers thinking?

FYI, the Chinese public rarely uses DE razors; electric shavers, yes; cartridge razors, maybe. They are not the best ones to design DE razors. At least in countries like India and Pakistan, most people still use DE razors. So they still make good blades, and some good razors.

Last edited:
If you've got an additional $2 to spare, why not get a Schöne? That's a real razor. Adjusting to the correct shaving angle can take a bit of time, but once you do, it is very nice. And the word is, this is the end of the line for Schöne. You will still be able to buy a Fatip, but the Schöne (made by Fatip for the German company) have better finish and quality control. Mine is so beautiful I love to look at it, but I can shave with it, too.

If you want something less expensive, I can recommend a razor that will give you a fine shave for $10 or even $7.

(Don't pay too much attention to the Amazon reviews. The Schöne/Fatip razors were redesigned in 2017. And Amazon tends to get a lot of whiners writing reviews. I have not had any finish problems with my Schönes. And remember, this is a $22 hand made razor!)

You have asked a reasonable question. I don't know the answer. If you have $20 to burn, buy one. I say burn because there's a good chance you will only attempt to shave with this razor once, then stick it in a drawer.

However, this depends on what sort of razor you are looking for. If you are looking for an EXTREMELY mild razor that looks cute, you might like this. If you are looking for a good, cheap razor, you can do better.

This looks like a MÜHLE R89, and there are some generic knockoffs that are good. However, the Chinese have designed a head that looks like one, but shaves like a butter knife. The two alignment posts are much narrower even than a Fatip/Schone. So the blade alignment is all over the place. But the side tabs are covered. You can press against the blade edge to move the blade around and make one side more aggressive. But if you center the blade, there will be almost no blade contact with your face. Also, the bottom plate can shift all over the place because its holes are bigger than the alignment pins, and the pins only come partway down into the plate. From the picture, you can see this, if you look closely.

If the tabs were exposed, at least you could adjust the blade easily. But people keep whining about how the tabs are going to shred their faces to ribbons, so now the Chinese have decided to hide them. The tabs are unsharpened, and have been there for 100 years to allow users to adjust the position of the blade. You do not hide tabs on a razor with alignment pins, especially ones that are the narrowest ever used on a DE razor.

For an experienced DE user, this design is an insult to the intelligence. To an inexperienced shaver, the razor could be a puzzle that produces inconsistent results. Looking at photos online, it appears the cheap generic razor market is being flooded with these badly designed razors.

If you want advice on a good, inexpensive razor, I imagine you could get some good suggestions.

Has anyone else out there gotten stuck with one of these dogs? What were the designers thinking?

FYI, the Chinese public rarely uses DE razors; electric shavers, yes; cartridge razors, maybe. They are not the best ones to design DE razors. At least in countries like India and Pakistan, most people still use DE razors. So they still make good blades, and some good razors.

You can't tell just by looking at a razor how it will shave.
You can design something without ever using it. That happens all the time. That theory is silly.

You are reviewing a razor that you have not even tried yet. I had a Schone and I did not like the way it shaved. I gave it away. This razor looks like it's worth a try, from Amazon.

Actually, it seems I have tried it.

They are making these heads by the zillions, and just putting them on different handles and in different boxes.

Go ahead, make my day. Buy one and report back to us.

And Rob72 made an astute observation with his reference to the meaningless text. This is one of the key indicators about who and what you are dealing with.

"Natual Diamon" ?

"KEEP AWAY FROM RAZOR BUMPS" ??

"EXQUISITE CRAFTSMAN FOR WELL GRIPPING BALANCE" ???

"zero waste" ? Nice try.

With the Schone, all you need is a sharp blade and an adjustment to the proper shaving angle to get a fine shave. If you use a 90 degree angle, yes, the shave is unpleasant.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 I bought my wife the white Zomchi for a Valentines Day add-on gift... But she still hasn't tried it. Using up her Venus clones first, I guess.

The build quality seems very good is all I can say.

AA

Also, wouldn’t you unscrew the handle counter-clockwise? Righty/Tighty Lefty/Loosey ? Unless you had the top of the cap facing you, which I can’t see being anyone’s technique.

Absolute pros

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
:c9: If they can’t be bothered to get the English copy of their promo materials right then why would I want to load up their razor with a blade and drag it around my ears, mouth and nose?
Details matter in my book.
Do you mean like this?

20210412_192039.jpg

The Rex Ambassador costs upwards of $250 yet they cannot correctly spell 'infinitely' on the box. I neither own nor wish to own a Rex but it is highly rated by many. At least the Chinese have the excuse of English not being their first language.

Actually, it seems I have tried it.

They are making these heads by the zillions, and just putting them on different handles and in different boxes.

Go ahead, make my day. Buy one and report back to us.

And Rob72 made an astute observation with his reference to the meaningless text. This is one of the key indicators about who and what you are dealing with.

"Natual Diamon" ?

"KEEP AWAY FROM RAZOR BUMPS" ??

"EXQUISITE CRAFTSMAN FOR WELL GRIPPING BALANCE" ???

All the heads are not the same. You seem to make a lot of assumptions. And you're complaining about how they describe the handle.
Look at what @Ad Asta has to say about the built quality. I still think it's a great buy for $19.99.
You should buy one and try it. You may like it.

Mistakes happen.
If they ordered 2000 boxes and they all came with the misprint then whatcha gonna do? Use em. Have the next run corrected.

Having said that. Maybe the boxes were made/printed in China too.

Do you mean like this?

View attachment 1250408
The Rex Ambassador costs upwards of $250 yet they cannot correctly spell 'infinitely' on the box. I neither own nor wish to own a Rex but it is highly rated by many. At least the Chinese have the excuse of English not being their first language.

The head looks just like the Swedish Vali razor, and the Swedish Rijk razor.
I have them both and they actually shave very well.

I guess the manufacturer make millions of heads like this for a million different brands.

If you want to spend 20 bucks on it, why not?
If the razor is as good as the Vali or Rijk you have made a great deal.

BTW, both Vali and Rijk seems to be clones of Parker 111b with the exact same handle and everything

Top Bottom