What's new

Zingari Man

I shaved with Sego Wanderer yesterday afternoon. It has been 20 hours since I shaved and I can still feel the skin conditioning ingredients at work on my face. Although I have other soaps that make my face feel great after the shave, with most of them, the effect starts to wear off after 8-12 hours, with some even sooner. That is not the case with Zingari man Sego. It will keep my face feeling great for 24 hours or longer.

I agree with this post from a while ago about Zingari Man Sego. I've been using it for the past few weeks along with A&E Kaizen and A&M Excelsior and Eufros and while they are all great, top tier soaps in every way including post-shave, my skin just feels better for longer when I use Zingari Sego soaps. I don't know what Heather puts in them, but my face feels cooler, more hydrated and more conditioned than when I use my other top tier soaps. The "post post shave" as some posters have put it. The shave experience itself is on a par with the others, maybe a hair below A&E Kaizen with its wonderful marshmallow fluff consistency for me, but there's something about the post shave that can't be beat in my book. As always, YMMV.

I agree with this post from a while ago about Zingari Man Sego. I've been using it for the past few weeks along with A&E Kaizen and A&M Excelsior and Eufros and while they are all great, top tier soaps in every way including post-shave, my skin just feels better for longer when I use Zingari Sego soaps. I don't know what Heather puts in them, but my face feels cooler, more hydrated and more conditioned than when I use my other top tier soaps. The "post post shave" as some posters have put it. The shave experience itself is on a par with the others, maybe a hair below A&E Kaizen with its wonderful marshmallow fluff consistency for me, but there's something about the post shave that can't be beat in my book. As always, YMMV.

If you like post-post shave, you might want to try the Grooming Dept Kairos that is scheduled for release on Sept 8. When testing the revised formula, I found the post-post shave lasted for about 36 hours. That is better than anything else I every experienced.

I wasn’t mad on the stuff. Works fine but it’s not a soap to me. More like shaving with moisturizer. You need a ton of product to get any sort of volume going. It’s just doesn’t lather up for me. The Explorer is not a bad scent but if someone told me it was unscented I would believe them. Very mild and subdued. PIF’ed it and moved on.

I wasn’t mad on the stuff. Works fine but it’s not a soap to me. More like shaving with moisturizer. You need a ton of product to get any sort of volume going. It’s just doesn’t lather up for me. The Explorer is not a bad scent but if someone told me it was unscented I would believe them. Very mild and subdued. PIF’ed it and moved on.

I have been using this for almost a year and I have a very similar take. Works well and great post shave, but I find lathering it very difficult. Have tried to dry it out more and that has made things even worse. The effort required to lather this is just not worth it to me. Will be using it up, but that will be the last ZM soap for me.

I do however like the subtle scent of Magician though.

I have been using this for almost a year and I have a very similar take. Works well and great post shave, but I find lathering it very difficult. Have tried to dry it out more and that has made things even worse. The effort required to lather this is just not worth it to me. Will be using it up, but that will be the last ZM soap for me.

I do however like the subtle scent of Magician though.

I am quite perplexed by those of you who indicate that Zingari Man Sego is hard to lather. I bowl lather and can whip up a great lather is less than 60 seconds. I have not tried the earlier vegan based soaps, so I cannot comment on them.

For those of you who are interested, here is my procedure that works for for Sego and most other artisan soaps except those which are almost creams.

a. I pour 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) of hot tap water into the tub of soap and swirl it around until the liquid becomes milky. This can take from 5 seconds for soaps with high solubility to 15-20 seconds for some soaps. I then pour the milky liquid into may shave bowl. The liquid contains soluble components of the soap, so do not dump it down the drain.

b. I soak my brush while I shower. Upon completion of my shower, I squeeze out excess water from the brush and then shake the brush 3-4 times to remove as much water as possible. That leaves the brush damp, but not wet.

c. I swirl the brush around the tub of soap until a sufficient amount of soap is loaded. The loading time required will depend upon the type of brush used and the size of the brush. For 24 mm badger brushes, loading time for me is about 10-15 seconds with most soaps. Softer soaps may require less than 10 seconds loading time and harder soaps may require more than 15 seconds loading time.

d. I then take my loaded brush and swirl it in the lather bowl. Initially, the swirling should be gentle to allow the soap and milky liquid in the bowl to combine. Then I swirl vigorously until I have a smooth lather. There are some soaps that I can lather in as little as 30 seconds. Some more difficult soaps might take 60 seconds. With ZM Sego, it might take me 35-40 seconds of lather time. If it takes me more than 60 seconds to lather a soap (Williams take me at least two minutes), I won't use it.

For my lather bowl, I use a ceramic mortar bowl from a mortar and pestle set. The rough surface of the bowl, designed for grinding, is an ideal surface for generating the shear needed to produce the lather quickly. If you are using a smooth bowl, it will take a lot longer. Bowls designed as lather bowls usually have a textured bottom with dimples or ridges to assist the lathering process.

Don't have too much to add other than ZM lathers just fine for me. Maybe it has something to do with the water?

I am quite perplexed by those of you who indicate that Zingari Man Sego is hard to lather. I bowl lather and can whip up a great lather is less than 60 seconds. I have not tried the earlier vegan based soaps, so I cannot comment on them.

For those of you who are interested, here is my procedure that works for for Sego and most other artisan soaps except those which are almost creams.

a. I pour 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) of hot tap water into the tub of soap and swirl it around until the liquid becomes milky. This can take from 5 seconds for soaps with high solubility to 15-20 seconds for some soaps. I then pour the milky liquid into may shave bowl. The liquid contains soluble components of the soap, so do not dump it down the drain.

b. I soak my brush while I shower. Upon completion of my shower, I squeeze out excess water from the brush and then shake the brush 3-4 times to remove as much water as possible. That leaves the brush damp, but not wet.

c. I swirl the brush around the tub of soap until a sufficient amount of soap is loaded. The loading time required will depend upon the type of brush used and the size of the brush. For 24 mm badger brushes, loading time for me is about 10-15 seconds with most soaps. Softer soaps may require less than 10 seconds loading time and harder soaps may require more than 15 seconds loading time.

d. I then take my loaded brush and swirl it in the lather bowl. Initially, the swirling should be gentle to allow the soap and milky liquid in the bowl to combine. Then I swirl vigorously until I have a smooth lather. There are some soaps that I can lather in as little as 30 seconds. Some more difficult soaps might take 60 seconds. With ZM Sego, it might take me 35-40 seconds of lather time. If it takes me more than 60 seconds to lather a soap (Williams take me at least two minutes), I won't use it.

For my lather bowl, I use a ceramic mortar bowl from a mortar and pestle set. The rough surface of the bowl, designed for grinding, is an ideal surface for generating the shear needed to produce the lather quickly. If you are using a smooth bowl, it will take a lot longer. Bowls designed as lather bowls usually have a textured bottom with dimples or ridges to assist the lathering process.

Your procedure is quite elaborate. What I am looking for is the ability to wet the brush (synthetic in my case) and load and lather directly in the puck and then finish lathering on the face. I am shooting for 15-30 second lather time without prep work requirement. And ZM simply can't do that. I don't bloom, I don't soak and I don't use a lather bowl...presumably those are what is needed to get the right lather. Just too much effort for me.

I can achieve the same lather that ZM provides with other soaps by doing a fraction of the work. Sounds like it is worth it to you, but it isn't for me. I just have different expectations than you, but the soap performs great for both of us when we perform the steps needed.

Your procedure is quite elaborate. What I am looking for is the ability to wet the brush (synthetic in my case) and load and lather directly in the puck and then finish lathering on the face. I am shooting for 15-30 second lather time without prep work requirement. And ZM simply can't do that. I don't bloom, I don't soak and I don't use a lather bowl...presumably those are what is needed to get the right lather. Just too much effort for me.

I can achieve the same lather that ZM provides with other soaps by doing a fraction of the work. Sounds like it is worth it to you, but it isn't for me. I just have different expectations than you, but the soap performs great for both of us when we perform the steps needed.

Which soaps do you use that will allow you to face lather in 15-30 seconds? It would take almost that long to apply canned foam to your face.

My usual procedure is to load any of my soaps heavy with a synthetic and face lather, this usually works great.
I don't measure water or soap, loading heavy seems to be the key. I have about 40 soaps in my rotation and
every so often I wouldn't get a good lather for whatever reason so the heavy loading seems to work on any
soap I use.

Which soaps do you use that will allow you to face lather in 15-30 seconds? It would take almost that long to apply canned foam to your face.
The following soaps in my den I can lather in 30 seconds or less without soap prep:

A&E (Goat milk)
APR (F1 + F2)
Oleo (Canard)
Henri et Victoria (Tallow)
Eufros (Tallow + Premium Veg)
Noble Otter

All I do is to wet the brush, load and lather.

Other soaps I have owned that lathered more difficult were:

DG (OG & Milksteak)
MMcN (OG Base)
B&M Reserve

I think the problem I have is clearly with softer soaps.

The following soaps in my den I can lather in 30 seconds or less without soap prep:

A&E (Goat milk)
APR (F1 + F2)
Oleo (Canard)
Henri et Victoria (Tallow)
Eufros (Tallow + Premium Veg)
Noble Otter

All I do is to wet the brush, load and lather.

Other soaps I have owned that lathered more difficult were:

DG (OG & Milksteak)
MMcN (OG Base)
B&M Reserve

I think the problem I have is clearly with softer soaps.

I consider every one of the soaps you listed to be easy to lather, including those you list as more difficult. The soaps that I ind hard to lather are hard pucks that have dried out. If you have an issue with softer soaps, I suggest leaving the top off the tub for a few days; they tend to get harder if they are allowed to dry out. However, they may lose some of their scent.

ZM is the best soap for me...I get the closest shave and best post shave feel. It reminds me a lot of BM Reserve from a post shave perspective and lathering technique. Tried Kaizen, good, but not head and shoulders above like everyone puts it to be. For those who have trouble lathering, try a loading it with a wetter brush.

I'm still really impressed with both soap and balm from ZM. Last time out I decided to see how much water it could take and was amazed by the amount it absorbed without the lather breaking down. It was practically dripping off my chin and the peformance was still superb.

I'm still really impressed with both soap and balm from ZM. Last time out I decided to see how much water it could take and was amazed by the amount it absorbed without the lather breaking down. It was practically dripping off my chin and the performance was still superb.

Many of the best soaps have a wide range of acceptable hydration. Zingari Man Sego is one of those soaps. If you want to maximize slickness, add water. If you want to maximize cushion/protection, make your lather a little drier. I like a balance of both slickness and cushion.

Top Bottom