What's new

Zingari Man

Someone reported the Magician scent being similar or same vibe as Seville, can you confirm or not ?!

I've owned Seville and I don't think they are that similar... other than they both have some oakmoss in the scent

Seville has more of a lemon note where the Magician is clearly Orange Blossom. The added Fern really moves it even further from Seville.

Someone reported the Magician scent being similar or same vibe as Seville, can you confirm or not ?!

I would agree with Bad Badger. I don't get a ton of crossover between the sample of Seville I have and the Magician. I like the Magician though.

Has anyone received a brand new tub of ZINGARI MAN soap that looks like this inside?
proxy.php

Yes, I did. Don't worry. It is just an artifact of how the soap is made and packaged. The soap is rather soft, just press it down with your fingers until it fills the edges of the container. If you load directly from the tub, be careful not to overload your brush. You can also scoop out the needed amount of soap if you wish.

Then lather it up to produce a great lather and get a great shave.

Has anyone received a brand new tub of ZINGARI MAN soap that looks like this inside?
proxy.php
My tub of Wanderer looked a little like that but full to the edges and soft like a croap. I just got 2 days ago tubs of Soloist and Magician and both are perfectly level and more firm than Wanderer.

It looks Magician is a real winner from your comments! I was waiting Maggard to restock Explorer, but maybe Magician is a safer scent that get many positive comments over here.

Both should be fresh scents for spring summer I guess.

My Magician Set arrived from Maggard's and I have a chance to try it.

The scent is very nice. I really struggled with which Zingari scent to order, but I'm glad I picked this one! I can easily detect the Orange Blossom, Oakmoss and Fern. They all seem perfectly balanced and no one scent dominates the mix. It's a very clean/fresh scent that I think 99% of folks out there would love. My wife is the toughest artisan soap scent critic on the planet and she instantly gave it the thumbs-up and a big smile! The soap strength was a solid 5/10... on the lighter side, but definitely strong enough to enjoy.

The soap is on on the soft side and loads up very quickly. The glide, cushion/structure, slickness, etc are all great. No complaints in any of those departments.

Now, to where this soap really separates itself from the competition... the post shave. It's on a completely different level! This aspect alone is worth the price of admission. The soap left my face feeling amazing. I hate to be the guy who says "it blew me away"... but it actually did. I felt zero need to throw on the balm, but hey, I bought it so why not. I'm not a "balm" guy (I prefer splashes), but the Zingari Man balm is as good as it gets. It's non-greasy and you can tell it just further enhances the soap experience. The scent strength of the balm kicks it up a few clicks compared to the soap (7/10), and initially comes off more intense and a bit sweeter, but fades down nicely after a few minutes.

So how does Zingari Man compare to the other, current "Elite Level" soaps out there (A&E, Murphy & McNeil, B&M, Wholly Kaw, Declaration Grooming)? In my opinion is every bit as good or better. The only soap base I've tried that clearly beats it is Murphy & McNeil's "Kodiak" base with bear tallow. Zingari may actually beat it, or at least match it in regards to post shave.

Highly recommended.

View attachment 1055708

A follow-up from my review:

I hate to say it, but this soap is disappearing at a somewhat concerning rate. I’ve used this soap Only 4 times now and I would estimate it has depleted at least 25%. At this rate I’ll probably only get 15-20 shaves from the tub.

Anyone else notice this? I only load my brush for about 30 seconds. Barely enough for a 4 pass shave.

I hate to say it, but this soap is disappearing at a somewhat concerning rate. I’ve used this soap Only 4 times now and I would estimate it has depleted at least 25%. At this rate I’ll probably only get 15-20 shaves from the tub.

Anyone else notice this? I only load my brush for about 30 seconds. Barely enough for a 4 pass shave.
I've used mine 3x and haven't noticed that much usage. I'll pay more attention, maybe start weighing it before and after each shave to give you more of an idea. I lightly load with a dry brush for 15 seconds and have plenty of soap for a 3 pass shave plus some left over.

It sounds like you might need to add more water. I do not know what type of size brush you are using, but with Sego, a 10-15 second load with a 24mm brush gives me enough soap for five passes. I do a three pass traditional shave, a clean-up pass and then apply an extra pass of lather to my face and let it soak in while I clean up my gear to take full advantage of the post-shave conditionin.

It sounds like you might need to add more water. I do not know what type of size brush you are using, but with Sego, a 10-15 second load with a 24mm brush gives me enough soap for five passes. I do a three pass traditional shave, a clean-up pass and then apply an extra pass of lather to my face and let it soak in while I clean up my gear to take full advantage of the post-shave conditionin.

I'll try loading for less than 30 seconds with a more wet brush and report back. I certainly hope this is user error on my part, but the consistency of Zingari reminds me a lot of Grooming Dept. There are MANY reports of Grooming Dept soap not lasting long.

Just ordered up some Zingari Man "Soloist" (exclusive to West Coast Shaving)!
Described as, "scented with a spicy, boozy fragrance reminiscent of classic cocktails & classy clubs"!
Folks here in B&B report that the ZM Sego base is a top tier performer!
Truth be told,... I purchased this soap primarily for the jazz trumpet player on the cover label art!
1580485231045.png

this soap is disappearing at a somewhat concerning rate. I’ve used this soap Only 4 times now and I would estimate it has depleted at least 25%.
I have about 4 shaves from my "Nomad" and I can certainly tell there has been some usage, excellent soap though.
My CRSW Glide went surprisingly fast as have my GD,DG and one or two of my other "new" formulations that are soft.
I'm just going to chalk it up to soft soaps are going to go quicker than harder soaps but I don't want to pay 20+ bucks for soaps that are going to go quick. On the other hand I'm not one to cost out my shaves and I'm still down in the rabbit hole wanting to try new soaps so I'll just have to find a balance.

I'll try loading for less than 30 seconds with a more wet brush and report back. I certainly hope this is user error on my part, but the consistency of Zingari reminds me a lot of Grooming Dept. There are MANY reports of Grooming Dept soap not lasting long.

Some soaps are soft; some soaps are hard; some soaps are in between. You need to learn how to load the right amount of soap into your brush for each type of soap by adjusting both the loading time and the loading pressure used.
I always start with 1 Tablespoon (15ml) of water in my lather bowl. I try to load approximately 1.5 grams of soap. Normally, that will produce sufficient lather for 4-5 passes. If the lather is too thick, add more water a few drops at a time. If the lather is too thin, you can always add a little more soap. If you are loading with a wet brush, 30 seconds will be far too long a load time. I suggest soaking your brush, but then squeeze and shake out all excess water before loading the brush. Once the brush is loaded, then start adding water. In my case, the water is already in the lather bowl.

My Zingari Explorer arrived the other day. This version falls in the category of "in between" - not hard, but not too soft either. The scent strength is light to mid and I find it very pleasant. It is complex scent and one can surely detects notes of citrus, woods, vetiver and benzoin. Yet it is hard to tell which scent note is the dominant one.

I still wish I had gotten the unscented or Magician ;((

Attachments

• IMG_2091.JPG
    IMG_2091.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 25
I have not noticed that ZM sego is any different than other soaps that are hyper-focused on post-shave. When I lather it, it's the same as with DG milksteak, for example. It could be overloading, but I don't know. Now, when I do get a new soap brand, I always do a practice lather to (1) really evaluate any scent and (2) understand how the soap responds to lathering. But then, I shave in the morning and often pre-coffee, so I know I need the practice. With that said, there is something to be said for equally performing soaps that appear to last longer. Consider it the MdC effect if you want.

I have not noticed that ZM sego is any different than other soaps that are hyper-focused on post-shave. When I lather it, it's the same as with DG milksteak, for example. It could be overloading, but I don't know. Now, when I do get a new soap brand, I always do a practice lather to (1) really evaluate any scent and (2) understand how the soap responds to lathering. But then, I shave in the morning and often pre-coffee, so I know I need the practice. With that said, there is something to be said for equally performing soaps that appear to last longer. Consider it the MdC effect if you want.

Many of the artisan soapmakers are focused on post-shave conditioning. I suspect that is partly because many of the shavers who spend money on such soaps are older shavers like me who need help with skin care. As you age, your beard often becomes tougher and your skin becomes thinner. It does not happen for everyone, but that is typical. Soaps that work for guys in their teens, 20s and 30s may not be quite as suitable for those in their 60s, 70s, and 80s.

Fortunately, the marketplace has well over 1000 soaps at all price points and performance levels. You just need to find the soaps that best fit your needs.

Top Bottom