What's new

Zingari Man

Hi boilerphan, I've heard that the scent strength on the Explorer is light to mid, not heavily-scented. Would you please comment on the scent strength as well?

I sniffed Bvlgari Man Wood Essence at a department store right after ordering Explorer from Maggard, I wasn't very impressed with Wood Essence, I'm now hoping that the soap would be lightly scented at least. I have no idea why I didn't check out the Wood Essence fragrance before ordering the soap! thanks

Hooman. ZM Magician is a very light scent. To me, the scent strength is very similar to Oleo Jacmel (unfortunately discontinued). IMO, you could shave with this, rinse your face, and put on almost any fragrance. Which is what I like about it.

Hooman. ZM Magician is a very light scent. To me, the scent strength is very similar to Oleo Jacmel (unfortunately discontinued). IMO, you could shave with this, rinse your face, and put on almost any fragrance. Which is what I like about it.
steffenapelz, that is so reassuring to hear, I actually considered Zingari based on feedback from some knowledgeable members like yourself whom I quietly follow. It sounds like Magician is a safer bet compared to other Zingari scents, a few other youtube reviews say the same.

light, safe, skin-friendly, non-repulsive scents from top-tier artisans were long overdue! Thanks for shaving your thoughts!

steffenapelz, that is so reassuring to hear, I actually considered Zingari based on feedback from some knowledgeable members like yourself whom I quietly follow. It sounds like Magician is a safer bet compared to other Zingari scents, a few other youtube reviews say the same.

light, safe, skin-friendly, non-repulsive scents from top-tier artisans were long overdue! Thanks for shaving your thoughts!

I have wanderer, The Soloist and Magician, but Magician is my favorite. I imagine most people would like it, or at least tolerate it.

I've had the Magician for a few months i guess, but still unused (believe it or not). It smells downright amazing and as soon as i finish off my puck of C&E it'll get a few spins!

I've had the Magician for a few months i guess, but still unused (believe it or not). It smells downright amazing and as soon as i finish off my puck of C&E it'll get a few spins!

If your tub of Magician is a few months old, it might be the older formula instead of the Sego formula. While the older formula is every good, the new one is amazing.

If your tub of Magician is a few months old, it might be the older formula instead of the Sego formula. While the older formula is every good, the new one is amazing.
It is Sego - got it from Maggards the moment it was available. I'm in Australia so they are my best option. I'd have to look up the date it was ordered, maybe between 1 and 2 months was more accurate.

Magician is also my favorite Zingari scent. I've also tried Soloist and Nomad, but like Magician better than both of those. A great orange blossom scent with fern and oakmoss backing it up as well. Very well blended, and a great shaving soap on all counts - slickness, cushion and post-shave conditioning.

Well that settles it, The Magician w/ matching balm ordered!

Also, Maggards just emailed out a coupon for free premium shipping for orders over $29 (code is SHIP29)... so ya, I had to.

I was so convinced to get the newest Explorer, but the last comments about Magician made me hesitate.

Who compared both of them? Which is more citrus forward?

I already have many Colonia/lime/lemon soaps, would like something different...

If Explorer is woody I would definitely like to have a woody soap.

I'm expecting the Explorer from Maggard, I sniffed Bvlgari Wood Essence, and I don't think I'll be keeping the Explorer and will most likely put it on BST to trade for Magician, Nomad or unscented.

I was so convinced to get the newest Explorer, but the last comments about Magician made me hesitate.

Who compared both of them? Which is more citrus forward?

The Explorer is definitely a woody forward scent, but also has other scent components that make it more than a one trick pony in the scent department.

The spices, citrus and green notes lighten the woody accord a bit, but I wouldn't say they are dominant players in the overall picture.

Used "the explorer" this morning without my normal post shave routine. My face felt great! I didn't need any balm and my face felt moisturized and comfortable. Definately a winner in my book.

My Magician Set arrived from Maggard's and I have a chance to try it.

The scent is very nice. I really struggled with which Zingari scent to order, but I'm glad I picked this one! I can easily detect the Orange Blossom, Oakmoss and Fern. They all seem perfectly balanced and no one scent dominates the mix. It's a very clean/fresh scent that I think 99% of folks out there would love. My wife is the toughest artisan soap scent critic on the planet and she instantly gave it the thumbs-up and a big smile! The soap strength was a solid 5/10... on the lighter side, but definitely strong enough to enjoy.

The soap is on on the soft side and loads up very quickly. The glide, cushion/structure, slickness, etc are all great. No complaints in any of those departments.

Now, to where this soap really separates itself from the competition... the post shave. It's on a completely different level! This aspect alone is worth the price of admission. The soap left my face feeling amazing. I hate to be the guy who says "it blew me away"... but it actually did. I felt zero need to throw on the balm, but hey, I bought it so why not. I'm not a "balm" guy (I prefer splashes), but the Zingari Man balm is as good as it gets. It's non-greasy and you can tell it just further enhances the soap experience. The scent strength of the balm kicks it up a few clicks compared to the soap (7/10), and initially comes off more intense and a bit sweeter, but fades down nicely after a few minutes.

So how does Zingari Man compare to the other, current "Elite Level" soaps out there (A&E, Murphy & McNeil, B&M, Wholly Kaw, Declaration Grooming)? In my opinion is every bit as good or better. The only soap base I've tried that clearly beats it is Murphy & McNeil's "Kodiak" base with bear tallow. Zingari may actually beat it, or at least match it in regards to post shave.

Highly recommended.

IMG_1482.jpg

During the restock period for the sabbatical, I found two of the old base (non-sego) for less than $10 apiece and the balms for half price. Picked up The Magician and The Troubadour. I like both scents, The Magician reminds me of something I can't put my finger on. Troubadour kind of reminds me of Stirling's Baker St (I think, but I could be wrong). I haven't used the old base, but the two I got smell nice and I look forward to using them eventually.

During the restock period for the sabbatical, I found two of the old base (non-sego) for less than $10 apiece and the balms for half price. Picked up The Magician and The Troubadour. I like both scents, The Magician reminds me of something I can't put my finger on. Troubadour kind of reminds me of Stirling's Baker St (I think, but I could be wrong). I haven't used the old base, but the two I got smell nice and I look forward to using them eventually.

The old non-Sego base is excellent and quite a bargain at the clearance price, but the Sego base is a gamechanger, especially if you value post-shave feel.

Top Bottom