What's new

Zingari Man

Gentlemen who've used any Zingari Sego base before, I came across single review on another forum where the person reported a heavy, greasy 'post shave' feel from this base. I know a post-shave feel depends on an individual's skin-type (be it dry, normal or oily). But a silky, soft, smooth, well-hydrated post-shave feel is different from a greasy, buttery face after the lather is rinsed off the face. I'd doubt if Zingari's Sego base would make one's face feel too greasy, please comment on that aspect as well, thanks!
I shave before I shower so that kind of alters things, but I understand where the OP is coming from. I have Zingari Nomad and the Black Mountain Shaving Nantahala in the Kodiak base, great shaves but do result in a greasy feeling.
I live in an area that's humid in both winter and summer so that kind of skews results also. Perhaps greasy isn't the right description and I suppose a good rinse could solve that issue, but both are really great soaps, maybe the best
right now.

I haven’t got that greasy post shave feel and my skin can be somewhat oily at times. However I don’t live in a hot and humid climate so that could affect results I suppose.

Merovirginian, Racquet, and Fozzi Bear, thank you all for sharing your feedback! I'm happy to hear that the soap rinses off easily after a shave, post-shave really depends on the a particular skin type. I just wanted to see if Zingar is a skin pores-clogger because of its moisturizing properties.

I can understand that someone whose face is naturally oily might have an issue with some of the artisan shave soaps. My forehead tends to be oily, but the part of my face that I shave does not.

There are two ways a soapmaker can achieve post-shave feel.
1. Most older products use fats and waxes to protect the skin. Such ingredients include: lanolin (a wax), Shea butter, cocoa butter, kokum butter, jajoba oil, coconut oil, mango butter, etc. Glycerin is a natural byproduct of saponification of fats, but sometimes additional glycerin is added to act as a humectant to draw moisture from the air. Waxes and oils can remain on the skin leaving a heavy or oily feeling. If your skin is naturally oily, this may be problematic.
2. Some artisans have begun to add ingredients that are found in postshave splashes, balms and serums. This would include things like aloe vera, Allantoin, Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E), willow bark extract, sea buckthorn, grape seed extract, hops extract, hemp oil, Daikon Seed extract, and a variety of milk and milk products such as whey from cows, goats, sheep, donkeys and camels. Grooming Department Nai is the current poster-child for such ingredients with a long list of cosmetic grade ingredients that condition your face without leaving it heavy, oily or greasy.

First use and had a great shave. Very slick protective lather. Only post shave I've used so far is alum. Feels good, a little dry but its cold and windy currently.

Attachments

• 20200117_101203.jpg
    20200117_101203.jpg
    940 KB · Views: 32
Waxes and oils can remain on the skin leaving a heavy or oily feeling. If your skin is naturally oily, this may be problematic.

RayClem, that has been the crux of my skin-type problem with some artisan soaps, except for Tallow and Steel and the discontinued Barrister and Mann latha line with simpler formula,

I'm now trying Zingari's Sego line and see how my face would react to moisturizing ingredients of that soap. I really would like to have a soap with elite-level slickness and protection for very coarse facial hair and sensitive skin.

I get the best post-shave feel from Valobra, MDC, and D R Harris soaps which many find too drying for their face, hence your YMMV maxim of wet-shaving!

It appears that Heather Melton had the needs of people with sensitive skin in mind in developing her new Sego line, so I thought that I might as well give this new artisan a try.

I ordered a tub of Zingari Explorer from Maggard yesterday, it'll either be loved or end up on a BST!

By the way, Maggard has Zingari Sego unscented as well .......

First use and had a great shave. Very slick protective lather. Only post shave I've used so far is alum. Feels good, a little dry but its cold and windy currently.

I would suggest you try ZM Sego without any alum. The alum might deactivate some of the conditioning ingredients in Sego. Unlike oils and waxes that are felt immediately on the face, some of the conditioning ingredients might take an hour or so before you feel the full effect.

If you live in a very cold climate (I am in the Chicago suburbs), you might need to use a balm on very cold days. I can normally get by without one unless the temperature is below 10 degrees F as it was last night. This morning, it has warmed back up to 21 degrees, so I plan to forego the balm when I shave later today.

I would suggest you try ZM Sego without any alum. The alum might deactivate some of the conditioning ingredients in Sego. Unlike oils and waxes that are felt immediately on the face, some of the conditioning ingredients might take an hour or so before you feel the full effect.

If you live in a very cold climate (I am in the Chicago suburbs), you might need to use a balm on very cold days. I can normally get by without one unless the temperature is below 10 degrees F as it was last night. This morning, it has warmed back up to 21 degrees, so I plan to forego the balm when I shave later today.
I'll definately try that next time! Makes sense to not use the alum. I put some balm on before I went outside just to protect my face. And yup! Michigan lol. Thanks for the advice.

For who has tried the Explorer, can you report the presence of wood in the scent profile ?

I don't want another citrus soap, I hope to find in explorer simmering more.

I'd kinda like to try Zingari Man, but I'm pretty torn on the scents. Has anyone compared The Explorer to The Magician?

The Magician is an orange forward fresh and clean scent. The scent strength is medium. The oakmoss and fern are complimentary scents. The Magician is one of my favorite scents from Zingari.

The Explorer is a dupe of Bvlgari Man Wood Essence. The scent is much more complex and I get a nice woody/spicy accord primarily from this one. Fragrantica will give you the exact scent notes for BMWE.

West Coast Shaving also carries an exclusive Zingari called The Soloist and it is a dupe of Maison Martin Margiela Replica Jazz Club. This one is an incredibly awesome scent as well. Fragrantica would provide scent notes on this one too.

The Magician is an orange forward fresh and clean scent. The scent strength is medium. The oakmoss and fern are complimentary scents. The Magician is one of my favorite scents from Zingari.

The Explorer is a dupe of Bvlgari Man Wood Essence. The scent is much more complex and I get a nice woody/spicy accord primarily from this one. Fragrantica will give you the exact scent notes for BMWE.

West Coast Shaving also carries an exclusive Zingari called The Soloist and it is a dupe of Maison Martin Margiela Replica Jazz Club. This one is an incredibly awesome scent as well. Fragrantica would provide scent notes on this one too.

thanks for that! Is tobacco a dominant note in the Soloist? I love true tobacco scented soaps

thanks for that! Is tobacco a dominant note in the Soloist? I love true tobacco scented soaps

The Soloist is predominately tobacco and rum.

You have to be careful with tobacco scents, however, as there are many different types of tobacco fragrances. There can be tobacco flower, tobacco leaf, cigar tobacco, pipe tobacco (often Cavendish style), cigarette tobacco, and tobacco smoke. I grew up in Richmond, VA, the cigarette capital of the world at that time. I can remember the pleasant aroma of the Liggett and Myers cigarette factory when we went shopping downtown. I hate the smell of cigarette smoke. However, the smoke from a good cigar or pipe does not bother me. Thus, you might like some tobacco scents and despise others.

The Soloist is predominately tobacco and rum.

You have to be careful with tobacco scents, however, as there are many different types of tobacco fragrances. There can be tobacco flower, tobacco leaf, cigar tobacco, pipe tobacco (often Cavendish style), cigarette tobacco, and tobacco smoke. I grew up in Richmond, VA, the cigarette capital of the world at that time. I can remember the pleasant aroma of the Liggett and Myers cigarette factory when we went shopping downtown. I hate the smell of cigarette smoke. However, the smoke from a good cigar or pipe does not bother me. Thus, you might like some tobacco scents and despise others.

If I may ask, what is the tobacco scent like in the Soloist?

Thanks

The tobacco note is prominent, but not overbearing. I don't pick up much of the boozy note, but it is very well blended with other scents as well. That's a real positive for me as I can wear the balm in more settings.

Thanks

I get a pipe tobacco vibe, but not heavy. It has vanilla to sweeten the scent but not too much. The scent also blends spices, citrus and an earthy vetiver to round it out. The scent notes advertise rum,.but I do not pick that up very much in my Soloist products.

Hi boilerphan, I've heard that the scent strength on the Explorer is light to mid, not heavily-scented. Would you please comment on the scent strength as well?

I sniffed Bvlgari Man Wood Essence at a department store right after ordering Explorer from Maggard, I wasn't very impressed with Wood Essence, I'm now hoping that the soap would be lightly scented at least. I have no idea why I didn't check out the Wood Essence fragrance before ordering the soap! thanks

Hi boilerphan, I've heard that the scent strength on the Explorer is light to mid, not heavily-scented. Would you please comment on the scent strength as well?

I sniffed Bvlgari Man Wood Essence at a department store right after ordering Explorer from Maggard, I wasn't very impressed with Wood Essence, I'm now hoping that the soap would be lightly scented at least. I have no idea why I didn't check out the Wood Essence fragrance before ordering the soap! thanks

I would class it as light to mid. Most Zingari scents are very similar scentwise as Heather's focus is on skin care and she doesn't want an over the top usage of fragrance interacting with people and posing issues.

Thanks

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you. I had to go check the soap to confirm the scent. It is a cigar tobacco and rum scent. I also have Henri et Victoria Cuban Cigar and Cognac which has a far more pronounced cigar tobacco scent. The tobacco in The Soloist is somewhat muted by all the other scent notes: Vetiver, lemon, peppercorn, vanilla, tobacco leaf, neroli, rum, styrax, and clary sage.

Top Bottom