What's new

Zingari Man vs A&E soaps

Forgetting all of the ethical dilemmas (buy what you want, don't buy what you don't want), I too prefer A&E to ZM. Kaizen seems much thirstier and denser than Sego, and overall, just a better lather. Sego might be a bit creamier and definitely has better post-shave- almost to the point where it is greasy. Like all things in this hobby, YMMV.
I totally forgot to mention.. The main reason I tend to prefer Kaizen to Sego is that Sego is not a soap that likes to produce volume quickly. I find that I have to use up to 1.5x the product compared to any other soap to get the same kind of lather. It really isn't that big of a deal, but when you're considering value and cost per shave, it does add up. For me, Kaizen takes little product and makes high structure lather effortlessly. Again, YMMV.

No! I am one of the testers working with Mohammad of Grooming Dept. Since this is a thread about Zingari Man and Ariana and Evans, I tried not to mention it.

I am anxiously awaiting the release of Grooming Dept Mallard. I consider it to be as good as Ariana and Evans Kaisen 2. The later is the soap that broke the Ruds Shaves shave score system with a rating of 105. I fully agree with that rating. That is one of the last soaps Ruds evaluated. He has not evaluated any soaps since last November. I would like to see him evaluate Mallard to see how he compares it to Kaisen 2. I consider them both to be phenomenal. I consider Zingari Man to be nearly as good.
Will mallard be a descendant of Mo's current duck fat base, I presume? And do you think it'll be better than Kairos and Nai?

Will mallard be a descendant of Mo's current duck fat base, I presume? And do you think it'll be better than Kairos and Nai?
He may not want to write a full answer in here because this is a Zingari/A&E thread, but if you want to read some of what he wrote in the past, here is my bookmark and you can read down

Also

I totally forgot to mention.. The main reason I tend to prefer Kaizen to Sego is that Sego is not a soap that likes to produce volume quickly. I find that I have to use up to 1.5x the product compared to any other soap to get the same kind of lather. It really isn't that big of a deal, but when you're considering value and cost per shave, it does add up. For me, Kaizen takes little product and makes high structure lather effortlessly. Again, YMMV.
Thank you

I've never used the A&E Kaisen base in any form. I've used A&E samples though, including Monte Carlo last week (for the 4-5th time). I was not blown away. Perfectly fine. With Zingari Man, I've only used the sego version. I happily own two tubs. I look forward to sampling A&E Kaisen one day, but I'm very happy with Zingari.

Fwiw, I think Zingari Man soaps have milder scents (I have Navigator and Nomad, the latter is stronger), while A&E have very strong scents, at least while shaving. In the end, I do recommend sampling soaps if possible before committing to a tub.

I've never used the A&E Kaisen base in any form. I've used A&E samples though, including Monte Carlo last week (for the 4-5th time). I was not blown away. Perfectly fine. With Zingari Man, I've only used the sego version. I happily own two tubs. I look forward to sampling A&E Kaisen one day, but I'm very happy with Zingari.

Fwiw, I think Zingari Man soaps have milder scents (I have Navigator and Nomad, the latter is stronger), while A&E have very strong scents, at least while shaving. In the end, I do recommend sampling soaps if possible before committing to a tub.

Samples are great for determining whether a scent is meant for you and you for it.

I do not like basing performance evaluations on samples. I never seem to get as good a lather from a sample as I am able to get from a tub.

Zingari Man Sego is a wonderful soap, but do not sell Ariana and Evans Kaisen short. The latest rendition of Kaisen is Kaisen 2. It is one of the best performing soaps on the planet. However, it is still in limited release.

You're behind in the times- I hear there's a K2 w/emu now. While some people (not me) are still waiting for K2.
Correct. I think that’s being sent around on a limited basis referred to as “K2 E”. It’s supposed to be firmer too, so it’ll probably last longer.

Correct. I think that’s being sent around on a limited basis referred to as “K2 E”. It’s supposed to be firmer too, so it’ll probably last longer.

I have never figured out why so many people think hard soaps will last longer. If a soap does not last as long as it should, it means you are loading more soap than required. Granted, it is easier to overload the brush with a soft soap, but there is no reason that you cannot either load from the tub for a shorter period or scoop out a small amount of soap from the tub and apply it to your brush, bowl, or face.

I think many people think a soft soap has too much water content. While that MAY be the case, it is also possible that the soap is soft because it is made from fats that are liquid at room temperature.

I have never figured out why so many people think hard soaps will last longer. If a soap does not last as long as it should, it means you are loading more soap than required. Granted, it is easier to overload the brush with a soft soap, but there is no reason that you cannot either load from the tub for a shorter period or scoop out a small amount of soap from the tub and apply it to your brush, bowl, or face.

I think many people think a soft soap has too much water content. While that MAY be the case, it is also possible that the soap is soft because it is made from fats that are liquid at room temperature.
I don’t think you’re wrong at all. But let’s say your average joe loads every single one of his soaps for 30 seconds regardless of how soft or firm the base is, a harder soap will probably last longer.

Jeez, it takes me less than 10 seconds to load my brush with K1! Is K2 softer and I won't be able to load from the tub, was just about to order a new one?

Jeez, it takes me less than 10 seconds to load my brush with K1! Is K2 softer and I won't be able to load from the tub, was just about to order a new one?
I don't have any K2, so I'm not sure if K2 is softer than K1. But the new "K2 E" is definitely firmer than the K2.

I have some K2 samples, but as @RayClem says, they don't give a complete picture of the performance. My K1 soap is very firm, my K2 sample is very soft. Maybe I should hold off that order...

I don’t think you’re wrong at all. But let’s say your average joe loads every single one of his soaps for 30 seconds regardless of how soft or firm the base is, a harder soap will probably last longer.

There are certainly some soaps I have used that take 30 seconds to load. However, those are soaps I no longer use. Most of the soaps in my large collection take 7-10 seconds to load using a 24-26mm brush. If you are using a smaller brush, it might take a little longer.
If I loaded my brush for 30 seconds, I would have enough lather for a 12 pass shave.

As I mentioned above, I was joining The Club. Well it's done and I grabbed some great stuff! In fact, I think it's pretty much payed for as far as I am concerned.

For a total, including shipping, of 100 freedom bucks I grabbed a K2 soap and splash plus the new soap and splash in K2e. I am not sure if we aren't allowed to talk about what The Club exclusives are, but this one sounds unique and interesting because it uses all, but 1, essential oils. This is how much you would pay for 2 sets from any of the other artisan soap makers except now I get an awesome discount for the next six months on any further sets I buy and I have at least 3 in the queue!

Oh and Zingari Man "The Navigator" set is in the cart waiting for my billing cycle to roll over!

I haven't used Zingari in full tub form (only a couple samples), but the sentiment about it being used up very quickly is one that I've seen a few people post.

Well, I decided to order Zingari Man "The Merchant" and received it a few days ago.

I have been very happy with my purchase of "The Explorer" previously, other than the glossy finished face which I have now traced back to the aftershave balm. This is one of Heather's own scents.

As for "The Merchant," I ordered it with the splash which I mix with perfumer's alcohol. This is one of the scents that she had made for her.

Now I don't know what is going on chemically with these soaps, but they both are different some how. I have samples of the other scents that are made for her and they all behave the same. They absolutely require a ridiculously heavy load for the same amount of lather. I used my normal procedure to obtain the normal amount from the jar. I added my starter amount of water and the lather collapsed. I kept working it unable to comprehend what was going on to no avail. So I squeezed out my brush of soap into my bowl, wet the tips and proceeded to load more soap and work it into my collapsed lather. I weighed my jar before and after and...

The TLDR is that I used fully TWICE as much soap as "The Explorer!" Same amount of water. The lather quality and shave were identical. Something is going on with these newer soaps that she isn't making the scents for. If I didn't have 20 other jars of soaps, I could see this going in 2 months as somebody mentioned. I can get double the shaves from A&E at this rate in spite of the fill being less!

The IDGAD if you are still still reading is that I don't really love these scents and there isn't enough choice compared to other companies. I will restock "The Explorer" in about 4 years, but I am having second thoughts about buying "The Watchman" which is the one scent that I really love.

I probably should say something about all the A&E soaps I have bought...

Well, I decided to order Zingari Man "The Merchant" and received it a few days ago.

I have been very happy with my purchase of "The Explorer" previously, other than the glossy finished face which I have now traced back to the aftershave balm. This is one of Heather's own scents.

As for "The Merchant," I ordered it with the splash which I mix with perfumer's alcohol. This is one of the scents that she had made for her.

Now I don't know what is going on chemically with these soaps, but they both are different some how. I have samples of the other scents that are made for her and they all behave the same. They absolutely require a ridiculously heavy load for the same amount of lather. I used my normal procedure to obtain the normal amount from the jar. I added my starter amount of water and the lather collapsed. I kept working it unable to comprehend what was going on to no avail. So I squeezed out my brush of soap into my bowl, wet the tips and proceeded to load more soap and work it into my collapsed lather. I weighed my jar before and after and...

The TLDR is that I used fully TWICE as much soap as "The Explorer!" Same amount of water. The lather quality and shave were identical. Something is going on with these newer soaps that she isn't making the scents for. If I didn't have 20 other jars of soaps, I could see this going in 2 months as somebody mentioned. I can get double the shaves from A&E at this rate in spite of the fill being less!

The IDGAD if you are still still reading is that I don't really love these scents and there isn't enough choice compared to other companies. I will restock "The Explorer" in about 4 years, but I am having second thoughts about buying "The Watchman" which is the one scent that I really love.

I probably should say something about all the A&E soaps I have bought...
Thank you

Top Bottom