What's new

Zingari Man -- Masculine Scents?

Greetings,

recently got the Watchman and lather wise it is hands down THE best soap I've used, even better than A&E (which I had to stop using due to an allergic reaction) but there's one problem, the scent is too damn sweet, my wife HATES it, then again, she even hates scents like Kaizen, but I digress, she said and I quote "it makes you smell like a sissygirl" ok, I mean, I don't hate the scent but I do agree that it's too sweet for my taste too. They have so many scents right now, which one would you guys recommend?

I prefer tallow, since I'm under the impression that it's more sleek than vegan, but feel free to enlighten me. However, vegan tend to be even safer for sensitive skin? Anyway, fire away.

p.s. a scent she has considered extremely manly before was that of Floris London Elite, 50$, yeah, no thanks, and it wasn't exactly protective/sleek.

For something close to Elite, I would go with Explorer. It's a homage to Bvlgari Man Wood essence I believe, you can look that up on Fragrantica to get an idea.

Option 2, which I would go with RIGHT NOW is head to Maggards or direct and get Navigator while it is on sale. It is a bit mild and now outright manly, but it is a plain aquatic in the best way possible.

Option 3, try the new release The Traditionalist. I don't think anybody hear has got a nose on it, just released. Then you can pay it forward by coming back and reviewing it.

Then there is Rambler, I have no comment except MASCULINE. It's tobacco 🤢

Very very helpful post, thank you! I'm afraid I can't find the traditionalist here yet. What do people say about the Nomad by the way? It sounds interesting.

And I hate tobacco with a passion, so I'll keep my distance from that one. :D

I read somewhere that the explorer has a different consistency than that of the Watchman and it's generally easier to lather. True? I'll probably go for that anyway.

My skin, aside from ingrown hair issues is also quite easy to get irritation and I have noticed that soaps like Kaizen and Zingari help a lot, due to the slickness. Surprisingly mostly Kaizen pops up around here, meanwhile in Greece most reviewers put Zingari on top. Any other soap brand etc. with crazy slickness that I'm missing that I could try?

p.s. you have been a great help in general. Cheers!

I read somewhere that the explorer has a different consistency than that of the Watchman and it's generally easier to lather. True?
Yep, you probably read it from one of my reviews. It uses way less product. I am trying to think what you could get over there, but it's going to be tough to top Zingari IMO.

No problem.

Cool, thank you! We got most stuff really, one of the few I can't find at all here would be Southern Witchcraft.

p.s. arko keeps coming up as being super slick. Could it really compare to Zingari or is it just hyperbole?

p.s. arko keeps coming up as being super slick. Could it really compare to Zingari or is it just hyperbole?
I adding a stick to an upcoming order to find out! Personally, I spilt my usage 40% SV and 60% split among all the artisan soaps I have. We all have different priorities for soap and different skin. Personally, Declaration Grooming is my #2 soap. Not because it is the absolute best, but because of a balance of things. Being in Europe and being used to more traditional scents, I can image many N American artisan offerings are, to put it kindly, unusual. I am moving into niche fragrances now and am fairly picky about scents, it keeps the impulse spending down. DG collaborates with Shawn Maher, but he created those scents first. Whereas Watchman and others were created on contract and I believe he did his best to make quality scents with the guidelines given. I actually love Watchman.

Maggards carries samples of almost all the scents from Zingari except for the No1 (a collaboration with a european perfumer).

I got the Watchman a year ago and to me it smells so strange that I thought it would not be right for me to even re-sell it to somebody else.

I truly wish that one day Zingari Man would release a scent in the class of SV, MDC, Panna Crema Nuavia, or Eufros. The Sego base is an exceptional performer but the scents are lagging behinds.

I adding a stick to an upcoming order to find out! Personally, I spilt my usage 40% SV and 60% split among all the artisan soaps I have. We all have different priorities for soap and different skin. Personally, Declaration Grooming is my #2 soap. Not because it is the absolute best, but because of a balance of things. Being in Europe and being used to more traditional scents, I can image many N American artisan offerings are, to put it kindly, unusual. I am moving into niche fragrances now and am fairly picky about scents, it keeps the impulse spending down. DG collaborates with Shawn Maher, but he created those scents first. Whereas Watchman and others were created on contract and I believe he did his best to make quality scents with the guidelines given. I actually love Watchman.
I'll do the same, then! Super curious about arko, it will also probably bring back memories, my grandpa use to shave with arko and cella (I already own cella and LOVE it, especially the scent) heard so much about SV, could you describe it for me, is it slick? I *think* it has Almond too, which I'm a sucker for. And yeah, artisan soaps are a weird bunch, very opposite of the EU way, the scents here feel more... traditional, If that makes sense.

Lastly, would you say that The Explorer performs the best out of all the other scents from Zingari? (you seem to have tried quite a few, curious about your favorite)
Maggards carries samples of almost all the scents from Zingari except for the No1 (a collaboration with a european perfumer).

I got the Watchman a year ago and to me it smells so strange that I thought it would not be right for me to even re-sell it to somebody else.

I truly wish that one day Zingari Man would release a scent in the class of SV, MDC, Panna Crema Nuavia, or Eufros. The Sego base is an exceptional performer but the scents are lagging behinds.
I see. Haven't tried that many to reach that conclusion, but we'll see. Despite having said that, is there one that stands out for you, even a little?

Lastly, would you say that The Explorer performs the best out of all the other scents from Zingari? (you seem to have tried quite a few, curious about your favorite)
Don't mistake usage for performance. Explorer is one of her original scents that presumably she had some help formulating. Remember, different scent compounds can affect a soap differently. It is clear from my own experience and others that some kind of adjustment was made for all the newer soaps that contain scents from Shawn Maher. Very much like Omnibus from B&M, it takes a LOT of product. And the newer soaps are more expensive. I consider these 80 shave tubs and explorer 120. SV is 240 to give you an idea. I don't know what the plan is with her original soaps, some have already been discontinued. Explorer is the first one that I tried and I plan to keep enough around, but I understand it should be popular enough not to worry.

Don't mistake usage for performance. Explorer is one of her original scents that presumably she had some help formulating. Remember, different scent compounds can affect a soap differently. It is clear from my own experience and others that some kind of adjustment was made for all the newer soaps that contain scents from Shawn Maher. Very much like Omnibus from B&M, it takes a LOT of product. And the newer soaps are more expensive. I consider these 80 shave tubs and explorer 120. SV is 240 to give you an idea. I don't know what the plan is with her original soaps, some have already been discontinued. Explorer is the first one that I tried and I plan to keep enough around, but I understand it should be popular enough not to worry.
I see, that makes sense! I already ordered the Explorer, one Arko and one Haslinger Sheep’s Milk (Arko is super cheap already and Haslinger was discounted big time, couldn't resist) I loved MWF but our area has super hard water, I could never make it work, one foamy mess and I know Haslinger is super easy to lather.

Next is SV I guess. Any recommendation on the scent? (I think I was wrong that they have one with Almond, sadly)

Next is SV I guess. Any recommendation on the scent? (I think I was wrong that they have one with Almond, sadly)
Strangely, you might actually like Manna di Sicilia. I am not sure how to describe it, it's not for me. It's an old scent redone right, very strange in the US to immediately recognize the scent. Still don't like it.

Strangely, you might actually like Manna di Sicilia. I am not sure how to describe it, it's not for me. It's an old scent redone right, very strange in the US to immediately recognize the scent. Still don't like it.
Hmmm, tobacco, not a fan, but maybe this one will be good, will have to do some research when the time comes for the next purchase. I try to limit myself, it's so tempting to just go and buy it all. 🤣

Hmmm, tobacco, not a fan, but maybe this one will be good, will have to do some research when the time comes for the next purchase. I try to limit myself, it's so tempting to just go and buy it all. 🤣
Ah, that's right. It's a soft tobacco scent, probably flower. Like all things SV, when in doubt, get the Vetiver out! It's such a unique and captivating scent. I mean I have like 4 others I think, but as one person described SV scents: coloney. Though Tundra is in my cart right now... 🤪

Ah, that's right. It's a soft tobacco scent, probably flower. Like all things SV, when in doubt, get the Vetiver out! It's such a unique and captivating scent. I mean I have like 4 others I think, but as one person described SV scents: coloney. Though Tundra is in my cart right now... 🤪
Damn it, you're killing me, just checked Desert Vetiver and the description alone was moving my hand over the 'add to cart' button. I have to wait until Christmas, I can do it.

is there one that stands out for you, even a little?
I agree with other folks that Explorer might be the safest bet. To me, it is nice and pleasant. I'd say I enjoy it. It is not a spectacular and highly-sought after scent, but it is not a turn-off either.

I will wait until the day she finally comes up with a scent that would wow the wet-shaving crowd.

When I think of a traditional English scent I think of scents that have very few notes that are straightforward and not overly complicated. Also, leaning more towards florals as opposed to the cologne-type homages many of the U.S. artisans are putting out. The only shave soap I have from Zingari is The Navigator. It is a clean aquatic scent, but on the scent strength scale I may give it a 4, and i prefer aomething more robust. I recently picked up the No. 1 aftershave balm that is an awesome Rose scent. I can't say how strong the soap version scent would be, but when I'm in the market for another ZM zoap, No. 1 will be the choice hands down. You can certainly tell the scent was created by an experienced perfumer.

I really, really like Zingari sego soaps. I am almost done with my Nomad and picked up Navigator a while ago. Navigator is much milder, but I am pretty sure that is by design. To my nose, Navigator the soap is just a nice, clean scent. But, I use aftershaves for a longer scent (and usually do not match with the soap--I like to pair B&M Waves or Stirling Deep Blue Sea with Navigator).

Nomad just blows me away with it's so very, very very lime forward take on the bay rum idea. Scent strength while shaving is 2-3x stronger than Navigator. Neither soap's scent lasts that long on the skin in my opinion.

Are they masculine scents? Not in a singular way. My wife loves the Zingari scents on me (but also the other aftershaves too) if that helps.

With that said, I requested SV Desert Vetiver for Christmas a number of weeks ago (I love my Opuntia--definitely a masculine scent that is a riff on Creed Aventus).

Top Bottom