What's new

Zero waste antiperspirant?

It wasn't my main reason for dumping carts for DE, but certainly a side benefit is eliminating the plastic waste of the cartridges. But then the antiperspirant I use isn't recyclable since it contains different types of plastic, and each one must have as much plastic as several years' worth of carts.

Got me wondering, does anyone make an antiperspirant that doesn't come in a single-use plastic container? Googling turned up lists with many deodorants, but I haven't found any antiperspirants. Anyone know of any?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I read that was just a deodorant. Is that an antiperspirant as well?
According to Wikipedia and other sources it is - that said it is no doubt possible to find confirmation of just about anything on the World Wide Inter Web. I use it on my underarms after showering and then follow with the Tabac deodorant stick or similar. Without the alum, the deodorant will last about 12 hours; with the alum I get 24 hours without complaints from the wife 😃

I only know of the refillable Old Spice that's a traditional antiperspirant.
Cool, that's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for! My google fu must have failed me this morning. Thanks!

According to Wikipedia and other sources [alum] is [an antiperspirant]- that said it is no doubt possible to find confirmation of just about anything on the World Wide Inter Web. I use it on my underarms after showering and then follow with the Tabac deodorant stick or similar. Without the alum, the deodorant will last about 12 hours; with the alum I get 24 hours without complaints from the wife 😃
Though if alum works, that may be even better. Got a small stick of it for shaving a few months ago and I can't even tell that I've used any.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I may be atypical - but I've used alum as an underarm application for some years - it seems to me to have both an anti-odor and anti-perspirant aspect

I think you got that backwards, but they also say it gives you Alzheimer's, so I could be wrong.
Antiperspirants usually have aluminum compounds such as aluminum chlorohydrate, but not the specific chemical alum (potassium aluminum sulfate). These compounds used in antiperspirants work by causing the sweat glands to squeeze shut. Alum has antibacterial effects (deodorant).

I'm sure your intentions are good, but examine the evidence for these claims. While it's true aluminum is neurotoxic in high concentration, this is not the same as Alzheimer's disease. Aluminum toxicity is more of a concern for people with occupational exposure, such as welders or workers in metal industries. Aluminum is one of the most abundant elements on Earth. People can get much more exposure to aluminum from drinking water, foods and medicines than from antiperspirants. The amount of aluminum absorbed from antiperspirants is extremely small.

Last edited:
Antiperspirants usually have aluminum compounds such as aluminum chlorohydrate, but not the specific chemical alum (potassium aluminum sulfate). These compounds used in antiperspirants work by causing the sweat glands to squeeze shut. Alum has antibacterial effects (deodorant).

I'm sure your intentions are good, but examine the evidence for these claims. While it's true aluminum is neurotoxic in high concentration, this is not the same as Alzheimer's disease. Aluminum toxicity is more of a concern for people with occupational exposure, such as welders or workers in metal industries. Aluminum is one of the most abundant elements on Earth. People can get much more exposure to aluminum from drinking water, foods and medicines than from antiperspirants. The amount of aluminum absorbed from antiperspirants is extremely small.
This is the best authoritative source I could find is Dr. McDougall. I trust his opinion on everything.

I use alum now as well. It works brilliantly for me. Lasts 36 hours easy. No scent, no sticky feeling, no staining of shirts. It’s more effective than any commercial deodorant I’ve ever used.

Then I got my wife to try it and it doesn’t seem to work for her at all. Not sure if it’s a difference in body chemistry or lack or underarm hair. The latter may provide more surface area for the alum to stick to. Not sure. It’s a bit of a mystery. It seems to work for some and not for others.

Last edited:
I guess I’ll resurrect this thread. Has anyone tried Helmm antiperspirant with aluminum

For those of us who aren’t into medical quackery anyway.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Timely resurrection, as today it is 80º F after scraping up snow last week here .. Hmm, seems the only thing to do is start a study, one pit gets the alum, the other just washed. We could see who smells who first .. now If I could just bemeber where I left the alum. Don't own a Lazyboy so that's not it ..

Top Bottom