What's new

Zephyr's straight shave journey

Very nice, you should post that on SOTD. I also own a shoulderless Tuckmar but it is not a particularly good shaver.

Very nice, you should post that on SOTD. I also own a shoulderless Tuckmar but it is not a particularly good shaver.

Thanks, the pic is actually taken for SOTD :001_smile

Time will show how good shaver it is, at least the first shave was satisfying:biggrin1:

The shave was yesterday, but with a house that need preparation for Christmas I had to wait posting til today.

Well, it's been a h*** of a week, when I finally have come home from work I've been too tired to shave so when I finally got to the shave I had five days of stubbles to get rid of, I have pretty fast growing beardso the stubbles was about 4-5mm.

The Stabil was starting to tug a little the last time I used it, by of some kind of reason i decided to use just that one, I gave it 8-10 laps on the balsa with CrOx, 25-30 laps on the canvas followed by 50-60 laps on the latigo.

While preparing the straight, I splashed my face with hot water between changing strops to start soften my beard, then I started to make lather, used Vulfix Sandalwood cream, and when the lather was almost ready I put a hot cloth to my face for about 30 sek, put on a layer of lather that I kept on my face while finishing the lather.
Hot cloth on face again for about two minutes, cleaned face and lathered up.

I felt this shave was going to be sort of an exam, both for stropping and shaving technique, but no need to hesitate, just get to work :001_smile

And :w00t: I was amazed, the shave was incredible!!!

The blade cut the stubbles like a hot knife in butter, two passes WTG+XTG=DFS :biggrin1:

Absolutely no nicks or cuts, just a slight burn on the neck when I applied AS :thumbup:

Got my new $5 straight today, spent a couple hours tonight cleaning and polishing, and here are the result: Pretty satisfying if i may say so myself!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
The shave was yesterday, but with a house that need preparation for Christmas I had to wait posting til today.

Well, it's been a h*** of a week, when I finally have come home from work I've been too tired to shave so when I finally got to the shave I had five days of stubbles to get rid of, I have pretty fast growing beardso the stubbles was about 4-5mm.

The Stabil was starting to tug a little the last time I used it, by of some kind of reason i decided to use just that one, I gave it 8-10 laps on the balsa with CrOx, 25-30 laps on the canvas followed by 50-60 laps on the latigo.

While preparing the straight, I splashed my face with hot water between changing strops to start soften my beard, then I started to make lather, used Vulfix Sandalwood cream, and when the lather was almost ready I put a hot cloth to my face for about 30 sek, put on a layer of lather that I kept on my face while finishing the lather.
Hot cloth on face again for about two minutes, cleaned face and lathered up.

I felt this shave was going to be sort of an exam, both for stropping and shaving technique, but no need to hesitate, just get to work :001_smile

And :w00t: I was amazed, the shave was incredible!!!

The blade cut the stubbles like a hot knife in butter, two passes WTG+XTG=DFS :biggrin1:

Absolutely no nicks or cuts, just a slight burn on the neck when I applied AS :thumbup:

Got my new $5 straight today, spent a couple hours tonight cleaning and polishing, and here are the result: Pretty satisfying if i may say so myself!

Very nice straight!! A little honing and you're set! I have to say, when I got mine, it was so light and a 5/8. I wasn't expecting much of the straight. It's one of my best shaver.

Spoiling myself today, MWF, custom silvertip brush, stabil 13/16 razor and Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince audio book on the bathroom stereo.
My wife had taken the kids and went to the grocery store.
I was all alone and had set aside a full hour for shaving and a shower, I was really going to enjoy this shave, after all it's my birthday.

Soaked the brush, and had som water on the soap while I stropped.
Usual face prep, whipped up some really nice thick creamy lather, and got to work, first pass = perfect in every way, cleaned face and lathered up for pass #2, and now it happened.
Since I was listening to the audiobook, I hadn't hard that wife and kids had returned, and suddenly the two year old slams the door open and yells "Daddy!", she scared the **** out of me, and I ran the blade into my cheek, strangest thing, I couldn't see it, absolutely no blood, but it stung like ****.
Well, nothing to do about that, slightly irritated of course, but I wasn't gonna let that ruin my shave, so I finished the shave as nothing had happened, rest of the second pass was just as great as first pass, no need for touch-up, DFS and no burn or irritation, just that cut on the cheek.
A shave well worthy a birthday party:biggrin1:

I think I'm starting get the hang of this now, just have to keep my mind focused and not get too cocky.

So far I think I prefer the slightly bigger blades, the 5/8 Hamburg Ring and the 11/16 Nabob just doesn't feel as good as the 13/16 and 4/6 blades, I have a 4/6 Puma special on it's way, and when I get the Heljestrand honed I hope that one will provide me a better feel than the other 5/8, I really want it to!

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
Spoiling myself today, MWF, custom silvertip brush, stabil 13/16 razor and Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince audio book on the bathroom stereo.
My wife had taken the kids and went to the grocery store.
I was all alone and had set aside a full hour for shaving and a shower, I was really going to enjoy this shave, after all it's my birthday.

Soaked the brush, and had som water on the soap while I stropped.
Usual face prep, whipped up some really nice thick creamy lather, and got to work, first pass = perfect in every way, cleaned face and lathered up for pass #2, and now it happened.
Since I was listening to the audiobook, I hadn't hard that wife and kids had returned, and suddenly the two year old slams the door open and yells "Daddy!", she scared the **** out of me, and I ran the blade into my cheek, strangest thing, I couldn't see it, absolutely no blood, but it stung like ****.
Well, nothing to do about that, slightly irritated of course, but I wasn't gonna let that ruin my shave, so I finished the shave as nothing had happened, rest of the second pass was just as great as first pass, no need for touch-up, DFS and no burn or irritation, just that cut on the cheek.
A shave well worthy a birthday party:biggrin1:

I think I'm starting get the hang of this now, just have to keep my mind focused and not get too cocky.

So far I think I prefer the slightly bigger blades, the 5/8 Hamburg Ring and the 11/16 Nabob just doesn't feel as good as the 13/16 and 4/6 blades, I have a 4/6 Puma special on it's way, and when I get the Heljestrand honed I hope that one will provide me a better feel than the other 5/8, I really want it to!

Really nice work! I also have 2 rare 5/8 that I find small but deliver outstanding shaves. I find most 5/8 to be average... For some reason a 13/16 or 7/8 is ultimate. 6/8 is also in the same category...

Really nice work! I also have 2 rare 5/8 that I find small but deliver outstanding shaves. I find most 5/8 to be average... For some reason a 13/16 or 7/8 is ultimate. 6/8 is also in the same category...

I'm not sure why, but I feel that I have more control with the bigger blades.

Luc

Staff member
I'm not sure why, but I feel that I have more control with the bigger blades.
It's easier to find the proper angle with a larger razor and you get more feedback with a big blade vs. smaller blade.

Not much to say of today's shave actually, Tabac and Tuckmar 3/4, a nice shave with total absence of nicks, cuts and burn, not even stinging when applying AS -Wonderful :001_wub:

Being sick all week shaving has not been my first priority, had a quick DE shave on Wednesday, but today I'm back in business.

Got my Simpsons Berkeley earlier this week, and decided to give it a try today, I also decided to face lather, something I seldom do because it haven't worked very good for me. But the Berkeley invites to face-lathering, so I soaked the brush while I stropped my Solingen Stabil straight, loaded the brush with QCS Briar, and got to work.

Wow, that little bugger works!

I got some of the best lather ever, and much faster than I usually do when bowl lathering, I'm definitely going to face lather more often!

The shave it self was okay, nothing more, one small nick, nearly DFS, but not as smooth as is should be, I was starting to get in a hurry, so in addition to rush the shave a bit, I think I didn't strop enough.

My in-laws returned from Turkey on Wednesday, and they had bought me a bunch of shaving stuff, so my post shave today was first a cold water rinse, applying some rosewater, which felt pretty good, Pashana Bay Rum AS, and Trumper's Bay Rum cologne.
The smell of Pashana really reminds me of christmas, while the Trumper's have a little more floral/fresh touch.

Have a merry christmas!

Luc

Staff member
Being sick all week shaving has not been my first priority, had a quick DE shave on Wednesday, but today I'm back in business.

Got my Simpsons Berkeley earlier this week, and decided to give it a try today, I also decided to face lather, something I seldom do because it haven't worked very good for me. But the Berkeley invites to face-lathering, so I soaked the brush while I stropped my Solingen Stabil straight, loaded the brush with QCS Briar, and got to work.

Wow, that little bugger works!

I got some of the best lather ever, and much faster than I usually do when bowl lathering, I'm definitely going to face lather more often!

The shave it self was okay, nothing more, one small nick, nearly DFS, but not as smooth as is should be, I was starting to get in a hurry, so in addition to rush the shave a bit, I think I didn't strop enough.

My in-laws returned from Turkey on Wednesday, and they had bought me a bunch of shaving stuff, so my post shave today was first a cold water rinse, applying some rosewater, which felt pretty good, Pashana Bay Rum AS, and Trumper's Bay Rum cologne.
The smell of Pashana really reminds me of christmas, while the Trumper's have a little more floral/fresh touch.

Have a merry christmas!

Pretty good! :thumbup1:

19: New years eve! Got a 9/16 Puma Special from John (johnmrson) this week, and gave it the honor of my new years shave. Slightly worried because of the small sized blade since I have found that I prefer 6/8 or bigger, a little extra focus on the angle was necessary, but it provided me a very nice and close shave without any irritation or nicks :001_cool:

20: Another shot at face lathering with the Berkeley, this time with MWF. Probably the best MWF lather I have made, really slick and nice and combined with the 13/16 Stabil I got a pretty good shave, nicked up just a little bit at the end of the moustache, on both sides :blink: No burn or irritation otherwise, so I must say I am satisfied, after all I'm still learning :biggrin1:

Been a while since last update, haven't been much to say really.

I'm getting better and better shaves, DFS every time, and rarely any nicks or burn to talk about :001_smile

Had the best shave so far yesterday with my ERN Crown&Sword 2200 that I honed myself, it is a wonderful shaver, gives me a great shave each time :biggrin1:

I've been seriously bitten by SRAD, last count I now have 18 straights, and what's worse is that HAD is starting to kick in as well, I have a Naniwa set of 1K/3K/8K/12K and a La Grise coticule on it's way from Honed, can't wait to get it and try it :biggrin1:

Well, I guess that's all for now, I'll try to update a little more often in the future :001_rolle

Luc

Staff member
Nice set of hones Rune! I reckon you should post some pictures...

i know how you feel, how much can you really say about a shave that is different from the last time if all went OK.
I'm getting better and better shaves, DFS every time, and rarely any nicks or burn to talk about :001_smile
great stuff, the lack of irritation feels great..
I've been seriously bitten by SRAD, last count I now have 18 straights, and what's worse is that HAD is starting to kick in as well, I have a Naniwa set of 1K/3K/8K/12K and a La Grise coticule on it's way from Honed, can't wait to get it and try it :biggrin1:
i know the feeling, i decide to stop buying for the moment (i think..) i also see some glass shaptons i can't pull the trigger on though..

Had the best shave so far yesterday with my ERN Crown&Sword 2200 that I honed myself, it is a wonderful shaver, gives me a great shave each time :biggrin1:

Well, I guess that's all for now, I'll try to update a little more often in the future :001_rolle

Congrats on hones and straights!

Sure is fun acquiring them and trying them. :thumbup:

Nice set of hones Rune! I reckon you should post some pictures...

As you wish :001_smile

Here they are, along with a few restore objects I got for $23
And my "Restore/honing suitcase"

Last edited:
i looked at doing a case like that, but it was over the top for me.. great idea, i'd like to see how the finished cut foam turns out..

Top Bottom