What's new

Zenith Short and Scrubby B17 here

So I ordered the Short and Scrubby B17 from eBay. Store name is "The Gentle Shave".

It appears a lot of what they sell is custom made for them by Zenith, and is mostly standard brushes slightly modified (remove the ring) and lower lofted.

This brush is no exception. 24mm knot @ 48mm Loft.

I've wanted to try the Big and Scrubby for awhile, but the price (~$30 + shipping and tax makes it close to a $40 brush). This brush for several reasons, one being the price ($20 + shipping and tax), got the nod over it. It's my first Zenith, so we'll start with expectations.

Some listings and reviews said the handle was "like the Omega pro" line... so I was expecting that if you didn't get metal (they have aluminum, copper, and chromed handles), you'd get cheap hollow plastic, and was hoping I was wrong and would get a solid rubberized or plastic handle. I got none of that. It's wood, stained black. Doesn't seem like the hardest or fanciest wood, but a big step up from Omega's handles.

The size is good. Handle is a bit smaller than the pro 48, which is too big imho, making this a good sized handle... a bit too chubby for the size, but still comfortable. Knot is a TINY bit small in my book, but I expect it'll bloom to be about perfect size (I'd liken the size to what I remember the Semogue 620 feeling like, size-wise).

Knot didn't stink, and lost NO HAIRS during wash or first use. That's a really good sign. Already it's smacking Omega's around.

Backbone? Solid... top notch in fact. This brush has some backbone. Reminds me a lot of the VDH brushes in that respect (they're basically a wad of bristles jammed into a handle)... but without the prickliness of trimmed hair or the constant shedding. I'd say 9.5/10 for backbone... If you want more backbone in a boar brush, you're not going to find it without getting one of the stubby trimmed brushes that scratch your face.

Lathering? 1/10. This brush needs to break in. This is the old school boar brush that I remember... the kind that barely make enough lather for a pass. This is what I remember boars being when I was starting out wet shaving. Now that's a bad score... but I don't see it as a bad thing necessarily. With Semogue's you get great lather out of the box and you wait and see if break-in turns them floppy. With Omega's you get a break in, but it doesn't change the lathering all that much. This brush will evolve over the next few uses, and I'll get to see if it turns into a great latherer or disappoints. I'm suspecting the former, but we'll see.

Overall quality. I already mentioned the lack of shedding and handle. I would say it definitely feels a little less stylish than a Semogue with their more streamlined and classy handles, but a BIG step up from Omega's.

From the first shave perspective, it's a solid brush that could definitely turn into my favorite boar... but that's going to depend on how it changes with the break in. It could also be used for a few months, not improve in lathering, and get resold. Time will tell.

Here it is between a semo BC And an omega pro, to compare looks and size

Attachments

• DF73D608-618F-4A82-821F-B2C31B52E918.jpeg
    DF73D608-618F-4A82-821F-B2C31B52E918.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 99
  • 4FFE7902-53D8-411C-B03B-4B08208DE10B.jpeg
    4FFE7902-53D8-411C-B03B-4B08208DE10B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 118
  • 88A510DC-1280-438A-8D51-DDD2A82E22C8.jpeg
    88A510DC-1280-438A-8D51-DDD2A82E22C8.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 109
  • AF4A7078-C15A-41D7-8A4D-AD3D567AA4AB.jpeg
    AF4A7078-C15A-41D7-8A4D-AD3D567AA4AB.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 116
So I ordered the Short and Scrubby B17 from eBay. Store name is "The Gentle Shave".

It appears a lot of what they sell is custom made for them by Zenith, and is mostly standard brushes slightly modified (remove the ring) and lower lofted.

I've wanted to try the Big and Scrubby for awhile, but the price (~$30 + shipping and tax makes it close to a $40 brush). This brush for several reasons, one being the price ($20 + shipping and tax), got the nod over it. It's my first Zenith, so we'll start with expectations.

Some listings and reviews said the handle was "like the Omega pro" line... so I was expecting that if you didn't get metal (they have aluminum, copper, and chromed handles), you'd get cheap hollow plastic, and was hoping I was wrong and would get a solid rubberized or plastic handle. I got none of that. It's wood, stained black. Doesn't seem like the hardest or fanciest wood, but a big step up from Omega's handles.

The size is good. Handle is a bit smaller than the pro 48, which is too big imho, making this a good sized handle... a bit too chubby for the size, but still comfortable. Knot is a TINY bit small in my book, but I expect it'll bloom to be about perfect size (I'd liken the size to what I remember the Semogue 620 feeling like, size-wise).

Knot didn't stink, and lost NO HAIRS during wash or first use. That's a really good sign. Already it's smacking Omega's around.

Backbone? Solid... top notch in fact. This brush has some backbone. Reminds me a lot of the VDH brushes in that respect (they're basically a wad of bristles jammed into a handle)... but without the prickliness of trimmed hair or the constant shedding. I'd say 9.5/10 for backbone... If you want more backbone in a boar brush, you're not going to find it without getting one of the stubby trimmed brushes that scratch your face.

Lathering? 1/10. This brush needs to break in. This is the old school boar brush that I remember... the kind that barely make enough lather for a pass. This is what I remember boars being when I was starting out wet shaving. Now that's a bad score... but I don't see it as a bad thing necessarily. With Semogue's you get great lather out of the box and you wait and see if break-in turns them floppy. With Omega's you get a break in, but it doesn't change the lathering all that much. This brush will evolve over the next few uses, and I'll get to see if it turns into a great latherer or disappoints. I'm suspecting the former, but we'll see.

Overall quality. I already mentioned the lack of shedding and handle. I would say it definitely feels a little less stylish than a Semogue with their more streamlined and classy handles, but a BIG step up from Omega's.

From the first shave perspective, it's a solid brush that could definitely turn into my favorite boar... but that's going to depend on how it changes with the break in. It could also be used for a few months, not improve in lathering, and get resold. Time will tell.

Zenith boars feel nice but it eats up lather like no other. What I do is load heavy with wet brush and that gives me barely enough lather for 3 pass shave. The bleached bristles look nice but perform slightly under unbleached bristles for me.

Zenith boars feel nice but it eats up lather like no other. What I do is load heavy with wet brush and that gives me barely enough lather for 3 pass shave. The bleached bristles look nice but perform slightly under unbleached bristles for me.
I had a Zenith Short and Scrubby and I'm nearly certain that it was not bleached. The photos above also make it seem as if the bristles are unbleached. I also had no issue with that Zenith or my two other Zenith boars when it comes to producing plenty of lather.

I had a Short and Scrubby, but it was just too scrubby for me. I agree with your assessment that it is a quality brush for a very reasonable price, but I am much happier with the Big Scrubby. There are several versions with different lofts; I have the 28 X 54 version, and it's the best boar brush I've used. I think it's worth the extra $10, but if the Short and Scrubby works for you, that's great. To me it was too close to shaving with a fingernail brush.

Great review! Hope that it breaks in well!! :a14::a14:

Second shave, I loaded it like I hated it. It has already softened up a lot. Still great backbone. Almost enough lather to shave this time. Progressing nicely already.

I recently purchased a b17 as well. I do like it. For the price, it is hard to beat. There are other fantastic boar brushes in the sub 25$ category, but none that are as compact and well suited for face lathering as the B17

I would say it's best competitor is the 1470 by Semogue... but as best as I can remember, it doesn't have quite the backbone of this brush. It is however half the price, and doesn't require the break in.

I got a Zenith P10 silver tip from the same vendor. Not too happy with the plastic handle but the brush is excellent and the price was right. New handle some day.

I bought a B15 about six months ago and I am still not able to pry it loose from my hands. Really enjoying the brush. Yes, it does eat lather, but who cares - then I have a reason to buy more soap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I was quite happy the handle on this model was wood instead of hollow plastic. I've had 4 shaves with it now. It's breaking in pretty quick. Still definitely a soap hog, and not making quite enough lather for me to say it's a great brush. Still hasn't shed a single hair. I honestly don't know why my luck is so bad with Omega's at this point... almost nothing else ever sheds for me, but 99% of Omega's have been shedders. Probably try to get this above 10 uses, then rotate My Omega Pro and Semo BC Cerda in and see how it stacks up against them at that point.

Just had todays shave. #5.

It lathered much more easily. Quite good in fact. Still good backbone. Really good brush right now.

It DID shed 2 hairs this shave though. Hopefully that is it.

Ok, It's a pretty great brush. Very happy. Still not sure if it will supplant the BC Cerda or 1470, but definitely up there with them.

Ok, It's a pretty great brush. Very happy. Still not sure if it will supplant the BC Cerda or 1470, but definitely up there with them.
I am glad to hear it is getting better. I have the olive wood handle big boar by Zenith and I will be buying the short and scrubby sometime next week. I hope I get a non shedder like you as my other has shed about 10 hairs since new about the same amount of shaves as hairs. It is a wonderful brush though.

I was gifted a brand new B17 by one of our brothers here on this forum. It had its maiden voyage today and I really like it. It’s definitely going to be one of my favourites.
Just wondering from your experience if you recall how many shaves it took before you felt it was broken in.
Other than shaving, I’m not planning on doing anything to speed up the break in process.

IMG_5892.jpeg

Honestly, I couldn't tell you. Last few years I've only used it a time or two here and there... don't shave daily like I used to; so one of my mixed hair knot brushes sits in my bathroom and is used 95% of the time. Can't really remember. I want to say; not very long though. Got decent lather at the start and improved pretty quick to great lather after a half dozen uses or so... probably kept improving after that too; but it was years ago and I can't recall exactly.

Honestly, I couldn't tell you. Last few years I've only used it a time or two here and there... don't shave daily like I used to; so one of my mixed hair knot brushes sits in my bathroom and is used 95% of the time. Can't really remember. I want to say; not very long though. Got decent lather at the start and improved pretty quick to great lather after a half dozen uses or so... probably kept improving after that too; but it was years ago and I can't recall exactly.
That’s ok! This morning I loaded super heavy with a very rich soap and the brushes performance was awesome! This one is going to get a lot of action this month.

I am glad to hear it is getting better. I have the olive wood handle big boar by Zenith and I will be buying the short and scrubby sometime next week. I hope I get a non shedder like you as my other has shed about 10 hairs since new about the same amount of shaves as hairs. It is a wonderful brush though.
Hey P@tsfan6484,

I'm deciding on a first brush, and would like to avoid becoming a collector if at all possible. Don't know if I'll prefer face lathering or bowl lathering, and sometimes have issues cutting whiskers that grow almost parallel to my skin.

Between the olive wood handle big boar and the short and scrubby, what would be your take on what I should get? (also considering the smaller Zenith b5 brush)

Top Bottom