What's new

Zenith Reknot?

I have a Zenith boar with an aluminum handle. I believe the brush to be a B1 (26/64). It was pre-owned and advertised as a B2 (26/57) when I bought it, but the price I paid for it was less than what it would have cost to return it so I just decided to keep it. It's a great brush and the bristles are well broken-in and super soft, but the loft is just a little too high for me. I would like to remove the knot and lower it by 5mm or so. In fact, 10mm would be even better since I already have several boars in the 55mm to 60mm range.

Does anyone have any experience doing something like this? If so, how difficult would it be for a novice?

I think its pretty hard to remove the knot without ruining it. Ive removed several knots with no intention of saving the knot and let me say, they are glued in well. I have read about people steaming the entire brush to soften glue and get the knot out. Not sure hows its done or what the condition of the knot/handle is if it does come out.

An alternate solution may be to put orthondontic bands around base of knot where it meets handle. It can have the effect of ‘lowering’ the loft. If you get the clear, theyre not very noticeable.

Reactions: bjm
Thank you for the information. I really don't want to ruin either the knot or the handle, so I think I'll just leave the brush intact.

I had considered O-rings of the appropriate size, but I didn't think of orthodontic bands. I may just disrupt my normal rotation and use the brush today to see if the experience is as bad as I remember. I may just use it exclusively for bowl-lathering with painting strokes.

Last edited:

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I found it helped to watch a few videos of Italian barbers wielding these big boar brushes. There is an art to it that I never would have discovered on my own. Once I learned a little bit about how to use them my appreciation for these big knots increased as did my enjoyment in using them. I can't describe it, really, but one 'plays' the knot (and doesn't just hold the handle) in a way similar to playing a musical instrument.

That's good advice. Thank you. I was strictly bowl-lathering for a long time because I just couldn't seem to get the hang of face-lathering. And then one day I stumbled upon a Time Shaves YouTube video and my shaving routine has totally changed. There may be hope for me and the Zenith B1 still to come; I haven't thrown in the towel yet.

I also have a Zenith B2 (B03-A26) waiting just in case things don't work out... and even if they do :)

Last edited:
The handle of the Zenith Short and Scrubby (B17) is made of wood.

Last edited:
Sorry-I should have been more specific. Cut off knot at base and drilled out the rest to remove it. No intention of trying to save it.

I've recently bought an unbleached Zenith boar. It's fairly new still, but I think it's going to be a favorite. It's in a plastic handle, so I thought perhaps I could put the handle in a vise and crush it. Plastic Omegas are very easy to get apart, but they are not glued in.

So the plastic Omega knots are not glued into the tiny black cup they are in?
Correct. The black band around the knot lifts of by prying and the plastic cup is easily cut off with a hack saw leaving the plug. Resizer_16060193697805.jpgResizer_16060193697804.jpgResizer_16060193697803.jpgResizer_16060193697802.jpgResizer_16060193697801.jpg

Interesting, thanks for pics/info. Looks like its a pressure fit?

i have a 40033 that i want to put it in a better handle. Might leave it in cup it if comes out of handle nicely.

If it's like my 10049, take a knife and pry up all around the edge and the cup should pop out. No damage. You could put it back in and keep using it if needed. I don't know how you could pressure fit it into a different handle while still in the cup. I guess you could glue the cup.

Still looking for anyone who has experience in harvesting a plastic handled Zenith boar for re-knotting and adjusting the loft (lower). The plastic handle will be easy enough to crush, but I'd like to know what I'm going to find inside. If it's a plastic cup like the Omega, then it will be easy.

Top Bottom