What's new

Zenith Manchurian or Another Yaqi 2 Band?

I have no need for yet another brush, but you know how this story goes ...

I currently have and regularly use the following badger brushes (and some boars and synthetics):
Yaqi 26 mm Moka Express 2 Band
Maggard 20 mm 2 Band (in a Made-Rite handle)
Maggard 24 mm 2 Band SHD (in an AP Shave handle)
Yaqi 24 mm Ever Helpful 2 Band
West Coast Shaving 24 mm Silvertip

Overall my favorites are the little Maggard 2 Band and the Yaqi Moka. I bought the Yaqi Ever Helpful because I find the 20 mm a bit small and the Moka 26 mm (and the Maggard 26 mm SHD) a bit on the big side. As a matter of history, I had a Duke 2 for many years that I loved, but my more recent Simpsons brushes were disappiointing. Also, I did not like the Shavemac 2 Band Silvertip - I found it too stiff and scritchy even after a dozen uses or so. (Maybe I should have give it more time). The Yaqi Ever Helpful is very short-lofted and is great when I want a very scrubby brush, but that is not most of the time.

I've always been curious about the Zenith Manchurian, and I have had a great experience with my Zenith boar. Based upon what I've written, do you think a Zenith Manchurian is a good choice? If not, I'm going to buy the Yaqi 24 mm 2 Band Panda brush. I've had great luck with Yaqi brushes and it certainly won't look like any of my other brushes.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The Panda is a Synthetic, correct?

I'm lousy help here, as I've recently just become re-enamored by badger (and boar's to a lesser extent).... so if you like synthetic, and the Panda is unique.....I'd go that way.

The Panda is a Synthetic, correct?

I'm lousy help here, as I've recently just become re-enamored by badger (and boar's to a lesser extent).... so if you like synthetic, and the Panda is unique.....I'd go that way.
The Panda is available both as a synthetic and as a 2 band badger. I'm considering the badger version.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have 4, 24mm Yaqi silver tip brushes and they are a little softer than 2 band badger and are still good scrubbers because they are high density knots IMO. If you like a large bloom I recently bought a black marble 24mm silver tip from Yaqi and it bloomed slightly bigger than your 26mm 2band Moka badger that I also have, used it this morning and worked nicely. The other 3 Yaqi silver tips did not bloom like this one did and that is OK with me. Badger brushes seem to have different charteristics (brush personalities) it seems and they are interesting in that respect. I usually buy on Yaqi sales and so I have more brushes than is needed to do practical shaving savings but I like to spoil myself at times.
Hope this helps a little!
I put the Moka 26 mm 2band badger as a reference to show you the differences in the brushes,
Yaqi #1 24 mm Silver tips with a Moka 26mm 2band badger..jpg

Have some great shaves!

This is the Zenith I'm considering, but I just noticed that they list it as a 27mm knot with a 51 mm loft. That loft seems to me to be a bit low, particularly for a Manchurian knot that would be expected to have relatively stiff hairs. Do those of you with Zenith Manchurians have a similar loft?

I haven't had a Zenith Manchurian, so I can't offer any insight to you. But I do suggest the Zenith simply so you'll have another makers brush to sample & start feeling the differences between different makers. But be warned, that is the first step into the brush rabbit hole! Enter at your own risk!!!
:a29:

I haven't had a Zenith Manchurian, so I can't offer any insight to you. But I do suggest the Zenith simply so you'll have another makers brush to sample & start feeling the differences between different makers. But be warned, that is the first step into the brush rabbit hole! Enter at your own risk!!!
:a29:
Unfortunately, I'm afraid I've been bouncing around that rabbit hole for a while now. In addition to the 13 brushes I currently own, I have sold off and given away at least a dozen that I did not particularly like.

This is the Zenith I'm considering, but I just noticed that they list it as a 27mm knot with a 51 mm loft. That loft seems to me to be a bit low, particularly for a Manchurian knot that would be expected to have relatively stiff hairs. Do those of you with Zenith Manchurians have a similar loft?

Here is a nice picture courtesy of @Multum in parvo that shows what I think is the same brush you were interested in. Looks very nice.

1651880102668.png

FarmerTan

That is a beauty! (Again, I'm probably not helping you save money!)

I think that would actually be my preferred height, but I'm stuck on 24 to 26 wide!

I am SO picky doggone!

FarmerTan

That is a beauty! (Again, I'm probably not helping you save money!)

I think that would actually be my preferred height, but I'm stuck on 24 to 26 wide!

I am SO picky doggone!

That looks to be essentially the same brush I have, but with a different handle. Even though mine is for sale right now, I still think it's a great brush. Mine was a bit scritchy for about the first six shaves, but then that most went away and now the tips feel pretty soft. It's a scrubby brush due to having quite a bit of backbone and being pretty dense. It doesn't bloom a lot, so it doesn't feel as big as one might think just based on the knot size.

I've gone ahead and ordered the Zenith. I'll let everyone know what I think of it when I start using it.
Good decision.

My Zeniths get used regularly. My 3 Yaqis haven’t been used in well over a year.

Zenith‘s Manchurian is close in quality to much more expensive Simpsons, Shavemacs, Thaters, etc. Their boars are incredible as well.

Let us know your thoughts when you get it. 👍

I have 4, 24mm Yaqi silver tip brushes and they are a little softer than 2 band badger and are still good scrubbers because they are high density knots IMO. If you like a large bloom I recently bought a black marble 24mm silver tip from Yaqi and it bloomed slightly bigger than your 26mm 2band Moka badger that I also have, used it this morning and worked nicely. The other 3 Yaqi silver tips did not bloom like this one did and that is OK with me. Badger brushes seem to have different charteristics (brush personalities) it seems and they are interesting in that respect. I usually buy on Yaqi sales and so I have more brushes than is needed to do practical shaving savings but I like to spoil myself at times.
Hope this helps a little!
I put the Moka 26 mm 2band badger as a reference to show you the differences in the brushes,
View attachment 1451589
Have some great shaves!

What's your preferences on those brushes? I own the Artic 2BB, the Black Marble Silvertip and the Moka 2BB, and I find the Artic a bit scratchy to my taste...Way more scratchy than the Moka, and the Black Marble...The last two are just amazing brushes for the price! I got both for about 25€.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
What's your preferences on those brushes? I own the Artic 2BB, the Black Marble Silvertip and the Moka 2BB, and I find the Artic a bit scratchy to my taste...Way more scratchy than the Moka, and the Black Marble...The last two are just amazing brushes for the price! I got both for about 25€.
I like them all but you should be happy with the 24mm mysterious space handle Silver tip IMO. It feels good in the hand because of the ergonomics of the handle and the face feel is slightly softer than your 2band badgers and still has some back bone is what I thought of them when in use. If you like your Artic sky handle they put in the same silvertip knot IMO.
Hope this helps you in your decision making.

I like them all but you should be happy with the 24mm mysterious space handle Silver tip IMO. It feels good in the hand because of the ergonomics of the handle and the face feel is slightly softer than your 2band badgers and still has some back bone is what I thought of them when in use. If you like your Artic sky handle they put in the same silvertip knot IMO.
Hope this helps you in your decision making.

The Silvertip knot's that I tried from Yaqi are way too floppy for me. They lack in backbone, and that's a bit messy for me as a face lather guy. I would love if Yaqi could provide a brush that combine 2BB backbone and Silvertip soft tips. Moka has quite soft tips, but isn't near the Silvertip knots...
That's why I'm looking foward to pull the trigger on a Zenith Manchurian or a Semogue Finest Badger...

BTW, thank you for your insight!

Top Bottom