What's new

Zenith Manchurian Brushes - Sizes

Good people,

I have been trying to buy a Zenith Manchurian brush to add to my collection of brushes. Kind members of this forum including @Mr. Shavington @koenfucius @Mike M have been very helpful in directed me to the sites from where I can purchase these brushes. The sites suggested include yourshaving.com (unfortunately I just cant reach them), rasoigoodfellas.eu and vanitystock.com.

But all these sites have made me super confused. My requirement is a 28mm /50-52 mm Manchurian badger. My reference guide was The Gentle Shave to Zenith Code Cross Reference - https://www.thegentleshave.com/blogs/news/the-gentle-shave-to-zenith-code-cross-reference and other B&B posts.

From the above, I understand the 505 is a 28/51 and 508 is 31/51. However on rasoigoodfellas and vanitystock, the sizes mentioned are different. I reached out to the kind people at Rasoi.. and they said that they don't have an exact measurement. Can you good people please tell me if the following is a 28/51 (since I don't want to do a speculative buying):

Zenith shaving brush manchurian badger 505ak mb | Rasoigoodfellas - https://www.rasoigoodfellas.eu/product/shaving-brush-manchurian-badger-505ak-mb-zenith/

What about the 508, is this a 31/51

Also, this one seems to be a mix of silvertip and Manchurian which seems very exciting. Anyone has any experience with this one?

Finally, about 506 and 507 - Is the difference only in the length of the handle, or the knot dimensions also differ (according to thegentleshave chart, the dimensions are same)?

Again, thank you in advance for all the upcoming help on this one.

Harish

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Good people,

I have been trying to buy a Zenith Manchurian brush to add to my collection of brushes. Kind members of this forum including @Mr. Shavington @koenfucius @Mike M have been very helpful in directed me to the sites from where I can purchase these brushes. The sites suggested include yourshaving.com (unfortunately I just cant reach them), rasoigoodfellas.eu and vanitystock.com.

But all these sites have made me super confused. My requirement is a 28mm /50-52 mm Manchurian badger. My reference guide was The Gentle Shave to Zenith Code Cross Reference - https://www.thegentleshave.com/blogs/news/the-gentle-shave-to-zenith-code-cross-reference and other B&B posts.

From the above, I understand the 505 is a 28/51 and 508 is 31/51. However on rasoigoodfellas and vanitystock, the sizes mentioned are different. I reached out to the kind people at Rasoi.. and they said that they don't have an exact measurement. Can you good people please tell me if the following is a 28/51 (since I don't want to do a speculative buying):

Zenith shaving brush manchurian badger 505ak mb | Rasoigoodfellas - https://www.rasoigoodfellas.eu/product/shaving-brush-manchurian-badger-505ak-mb-zenith/

Also, this one seems to be a mix of silvertip and Manchurian which seems very exciting. Anyone has any experience with this one?

Finally, about 506 and 507 - Is the difference only in the length of the handle, or the knot dimensions also differ (according to thegentleshave chart, the dimensions are same)?

Harish
I'm guessing you are in Europe? I'm only asking because I've had some difficulty getting the two Zenith brushes I want as well. TheGentleShave has offered to special order them for me in a few months, when he places his next order with Zenith. So if you are in the States, that might work for you.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I

Dublin- Ireland for a while. Want to shop all European goodies while I can.
Sorry... crossed posts... I just had an order canceled coming out of Greece... @Mr. Shavington brought them to my attention... I have a M23 with the 506 copper handle and just love it.. I'm going to wait on TheGentleShave but I'm not in a hurry. I have a few other things on my plate at the moment... also recommended by @Mr. Shavington . LOL

Sorry... crossed posts... I just had an order canceled coming out of Greece... @Mr. Shavington brought them to my attention... I have a M23 with the 506 copper handle and just love it.. I'm going to wait on TheGentleShave but I'm not in a hurry. I have a few other things on my plate at the moment... also recommended by @Mr. Shavington . LOL
ha ha... I could have got it from thegentleshave as well....got loads of friends in the States, but the prices in Europe are much more reasonable. That's why trying to make sense of the listings on the sites. Thegentleshave seems to have everything sorted. My concern again is that i should not end uup with a 26 mm knot on a 505, since I am looking for 28 and above.

Good people,

Harish
sorry, I can't help you, but what you are experiencing seems so Italian, if you can believe the stereotypes :)
try a german brush maker, 51mm will be 51mm guaranteed, not 50.5 :)

sorry, I can't help you, but what you are experiencing seems so Italian, if you can believe the stereotypes :)
try a german brush maker, 51mm will be 51mm guaranteed, not 50.5 :)
I agree with every word you say :). But Germans cant match Italians when it comes to passion (hope you understand). And shaving stuff if all about that

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I did find it interesting that the Zenith brushes I've purchased from TheGentleShave are all listed at 27.5mm. I think that's because he actually measured them himself. The B33 boar feels just like the Malachite Resin brush I bought from YourShaving but the Malachite is listed as 26mm and the B33 506 handle boar is listed as 27.5. The knots seem as close to identical as possible.

I could be wrong and please correct me if I'm wrong, I think it depends on where you measure. The bottom of an unseated brush could measure 26mm but when you insert into a brush handle, the hole is oversized a bit so if you measure the knot as it is coming out of the handle, you could get that 27.5mm in reality. I know my SV 2.0 brushes are listed at 26mm but if you measure at the top of the Crown, you get 28mm.

I did find it interesting that the Zenith brushes I've purchased from TheGentleShave are all listed at 27.5mm. I think that's because he actually measured them himself. The B33 boar feels just like the Malachite Resin brush I bought from YourShaving but the Malachite is listed as 26mm and the B33 506 handle boar is listed as 27.5. The knots seem as close to identical as possible.

I could be wrong and please correct me if I'm wrong, I think it depends on where you measure. The bottom of an unseated brush could measure 26mm but when you insert into a brush handle, the hole is oversized a bit so if you measure the knot as it is coming out of the handle, you could get that 27.5mm in reality. I know my SV 2.0 brushes are listed at 26mm but if you measure at the top of the Crown, you get 28mm.
interesting point....so I should rather revise my query to finding out which Zenith models have the biggest (>28mm) knots? Any help in this?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
There is the XL Zenith Manchurian... 28mm. I don't have one and I haven't seen one, yet. And "the big one" 31mm. I don't know the handle options yet.

Phoenix is right about knots. Unseated they will measure differently than after they are set. Also, there will be some variation with a hand made brush. Typically you won’t see a huge difference, but it does happen. I have seen the knot size be as much as 2mm different and up to 5mm difference, but not often. Usually it’s between 1mm knot size and 2mm loft size. They can make a difference. The Superior Shave was excellent in being able to see the brush and the measurements before hand. They still do sell brushes, I’m just running out of stuff that I want to buy. I much prefer to see exactly what it is I’m buying and prefer to try buying used if possible because of that.

Phoenix is right about knots. Unseated they will measure differently than after they are set. Also, there will be some variation with a hand made brush. Typically you won’t see a huge difference, but it does happen. I have seen the knot size be as much as 2mm different and up to 5mm difference, but not often. Usually it’s between 1mm knot size and 2mm loft size. They can make a difference. The Superior Shave was excellent in being able to see the brush and the measurements before hand. They still do sell brushes, I’m just running out of stuff that I want to buy. I much prefer to see exactly what it is I’m buying and prefer to try buying used if possible because of that.
What you are saying makes sense. Unfortunately, due to everything being online, shopping is more of a guessing game. I don't think there is anyone else other than superior shave who provides measurement of individual brushes. Unless you live in the States, buying used is not a very viable option- especially since I live in India. So for me, to summarize, its a lot of guess work when it comes to brush. I am inclined to buy the 505 from rasoifella and leave the rest to chance. Hopefully since zenith makes larger brushes, I will get something which will be at least 26mm. If i am lucky, I will get my 28mm. Also, I will request them to see if they can provide me with the best/largest knot f the 505 which they have in inventory. Hopefully it will work :)

What you are saying makes sense. Unfortunately, due to everything being online, shopping is more of a guessing game. I don't think there is anyone else other than superior shave who provides measurement of individual brushes. Unless you live in the States, buying used is not a very viable option- especially since I live in India. So for me, to summarize, its a lot of guess work when it comes to brush. I am inclined to buy the 505 from rasoifella and leave the rest to chance. Hopefully since zenith makes larger brushes, I will get something which will be at least 26mm. If i am lucky, I will get my 28mm. Also, I will request them to see if they can provide me with the best/largest knot f the 505 which they have in inventory. Hopefully it will work :)
I think that’s what the rest of us do too. 😁

Ah yeah that would make it a problem buying used. I don't know of anyone that does like TSS does except for Paladin, but that is just for their brushes. It is indeed a guessing game. The only thing that helps lessen that guessing is buying, but that is expensive.

Zenith are very dense knots.
@nickm @kooshman7 and everyone else. Please help me decide

I think the 508 is 31/51 and 505 is 28/51 as per gentleshave guide. Which one should I chose. In case the 508 is really a 31, will it make it unusable? I exclusively face lather. 31mm, if I am not mistaken is the same size as a Simpson chubby 3. The Zenith 508 looks quite similar to the Chubby.

I buy whichever brush the majority of all you good people recommend :)

For myself I wouldn't buy the 508 because the effective loft is so short at 43mm. I'm not fond of brushes with so little loft to mix the shaving lather. That isn't to say you couldn't like it, more that it is my personal preference to not go down that low. I believe the 505 has the same problem of being too low. In terms of the size making it unusable, no it wouldn't make it unusable. For myself I've been on a large kick for quite a few years. It's funny as when I started I thought they were too large for me. I find my preferences can come in waves. I still have smaller brushes to reach for when I want those. I will say the brushes I have that are 31mm and larger have a longer loft. If you set the loft too low it just makes it harder than I care for when trying to mix lather. It can be done, yes, but my preferences don't call for such a low loft. It has a decent glue plug in it. Having it set that low will definitely increase the density. I like the 508 handle better, and I would buy one of those if I could get it in a larger loft and without a glue plug. I tend to like 3-band Silvertip better and that was my preference when I had some Zenith brushes. I had the 505 style handle in silvertip, and a manchurian in olive wood. The quality on both was good.

I don't have experience with the 508, but I imagine it should be good. That is interesting a mix of silvertip and manchurian, but not unheard of. Shavemac's Finest was a combination of their pure and silvertip, and that was an excellent grade of hair. The difference on the 506 and 507 is more from the handle, but the effective loft for the 506 is a bit shorter than the effective loft for the 507. If I had to choose from one of the two I would take the 507 for a slightly higher effective loft in the knot. They're just too short for my tastes, however. It's the glue plug that throws it off for me. I'd be okay with the lofts as they were, but that glue plug just makes it to where I don't enjoy using them. I can't really say which one to get.

Top Bottom