What's new

Zenith Manchurian 2 Band Badger

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
@Chan Eil Whiskers

Are you referring to my post with the two brushes?
I've already said that the Silvertip is even more dense and has even more backbone than the Manchurian. So I prefer the Silvertip. In terms of scritch and scrub I haven't noticed a lot of difference.
But that's the brush I've bought some time ago (the copper one). The Butterscotch Silvertip I've bought recently is a little less dense and has a little less backbone. But it is still a great brush. With Zenith you can't go wrong. You won't regret buying one.

Sure is a pretty butterscotch!

Actually I was asking the gentleman who posted this photo most recently...

1577805243529.png

Mostly because those two brushes are so alike other than the bristles. I thought they might be a great side by side comparison. Having gone back a bit in this thread to find all your posts I discovered you were the original poster of the photo and answered the question way back. Sorry.

But, not to worry...

1577805322776.png

I'd been hoping for a review of the 505/Butterscotch Silvertip. Your discussion was better than a simple review as you compared it with another Zenith silvertip. If I understood your post correctly you just compared this 505 with the other silvertip as well as with the Manchurian, right?

This butterscotch is definitely one of the Zenith silvertips I'm considering. I'm in no hurry at all to buy another brush though. I definitely don't have enough silvertips (hardly any other than my two MS 30 mm brushes) although I'm long on two bands and have two Zenith Manchurians. I do want a Zenith silvertip but in a 28 mm or maybe larger (by my measurement) knot. I'm not very drawn to the very very huge knots the Gentle Shave vendor is currently selling, but haven't ruled them out entirely.

If you're a caliper guy (like me) and have measured the knots in your three brushes pictured here would you post the measurements you obtained. I've found most knots measure with my calipers differently from the vendor's measurements. I don't care much about loft but only knot size where the knot leaves the handle.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
@Chan Eil Whiskers

I have calipers, and tried to measure both the copper Silvertip and the Butterscotch Silvertip. The copper one is around 29-30mm and the Butterscotch is around 28-29mm.
BUT, the copper Silvertip is denser. Both have very good backbone, though.
I don't know whether it's just the batch I've bought or are all the copper Silvertip Zeniths so dense.
I can't measure the Manchurian because I've sold it some time ago.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
@Chan Eil Whiskers

I have calipers, and tried to measure both the copper Silvertip and the Butterscotch Silvertip. The copper one is around 29-30mm and the Butterscotch is around 28-29mm.
BUT, the copper Silvertip is denser. Both have very good backbone, though.
I don't know whether it's just the batch I've bought or are all the copper Silvertip Zeniths so dense.
I can't measure the Manchurian because I've sold it some time ago.

Thanks so much. That's very helpful. I get your point and appreciate it very much.

Two.Zenith.Manchurians.1-5-19.480..jpg

I have two Zenith Manchurians. The copper is a bit larger knot, but it is a whole lot denser. That's not saying there's anything lacking in the olivewood handled brush's knot, but it is noticeably less dense. Both are still excellent knots and brushes. I'm not knocking the olivewood at all and love using it but the copper handled Manchurian is my favorite brush of all my brushes.

It would be interesting to know how much of the variation is by design and how much is just random from brush to brush, but I doubt we'll ever know that.

Happy New Year and happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
@Chan Eil Whiskers
I have calipers, and tried to measure both the copper Silvertip...

Is your copper silvertip the same handle as my Manchurian?

Zenith.Copper.Manchurian.3-6-19.jpeg

This handle?

If so, I've not seen that one offered at least not that I can recall right now.

5-28-19.Zenith.HorseHair.507N:BR XS.640.JPG

This horse has a great handle. I might like a silvertip with the same handle, but the copper handle would be very tempting (to go with my Manchurian and my boar in the copper).

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

@Chan Eil Whiskers

Are you referring to my post with the two brushes?
I've already said that the Silvertip is even more dense and has even more backbone than the Manchurian. So I prefer the Silvertip. In terms of scritch and scrub I haven't noticed a lot of difference.
But that's the brush I've bought some time ago (the copper one). The Butterscotch Silvertip I've bought recently is a little less dense and has a little less backbone. But it is still a great brush. With Zenith you can't go wrong. You won't regret buying one.

View attachment 1048207
Would it be easy for you to post a pic of this butterscotch brush now? I'm looking to buy one of these and wonder how it looks after some use 😄

Top Bottom