What's new

Zenith Kotibe Boar

I'd read that Zenith boar brushes were great quality, soft and very dense. Basically a cut above Semogue and Omega, oops. So, several months ago I bought a Zenith Kotibe from the "GentleShave". It wasn't very dense, but was pretty soft. It lost hair initially which I thought was pretty normal. However, it continued to lose several hairs per shave for a month. I got tired of picking boar hair off my face and out of the bowl, so I just stopped using it. I contacted the guy at the GentleShave, but got no response. I understand a "one-off" defective product, but not being ignored by a seller. Needless to say that was my first and last GentleShave purchase.

The other day I thought I'd give it another try, in hopes that it might have lost all it was going to. I brushed it across my hand dry and two hairs popped about 1/2" up from the knot. I removed them and did it again, 2 more, I repeated it and 3 more. So 9 hairs in less than 30 seconds. Annoyed, I put it away with thoughts of removing the knot and replacing it, I like the handle.

1. Every example I've seen of removing a knot from a brush has been with a resin handle in hot water. Is it the same procedure for wood? I would guess knot 8>).
2. Most of the bore brushes that I see get great reviews are big and splay a lot. However, I have a "goat", so face lathering with a big brush is awkward and inefficient. Any suggestions for a dense bore that's not enormous?

Last edited:
I would recommend a small Omega. Omegas come in 27mm and 24mm. Pick up a shorter lofted 24mm. The handles are not that great. I pulled a knot from an Omega 10290 to restore a vintage Fuller brush.

Yesterday I ordered a Zenith B2 from the same vendor. I hope I don't have the same shedding issues.
EdrcSog.jpg

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Zeniths.2.Wood.640.4-18.JPG

I think these are the same brushes or something similar. They're Zenith. They're boar. The handles are wood. They were purchased from the same eBay vendor.

I've enjoyed both and had no problems with either.

I've had e-conversations with the vendor. I'm surprised he's not yet responded to your inquiry.

Good luck with this, and I hope you keep us posted.

Jade.MightyMidget.640.4-18.JPGMiixedMidget.MightyMidget.ProrasoPro.480.4-20-19.JPG

While I like my Zeniths a great deal I also like some of my Omegas - especially the Jade from Connaught - a ton. My SOC boar is okay, too.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'd read that Zenith boar brushes were great quality, soft and very dense. Basically a cut above Semogue and Omega, oops. So, several months ago I bought a Zenith Kotibe from the "GentleShave". It wasn't very dense, but was pretty soft. It lost hair initially which I thought was pretty normal. However, it continued to lose several hairs per shave for a month. I got tired of picking boar hair off my face and out of the bowl, so I just stopped using it. I contacted the guy at the GentleShave, but got no response. I understand a "one-off" defective product, but not being ignored by a seller. Needless to say that was my first and last GentleShave purchase.

The other day I thought I'd give it another try, in hopes that it might have lost all it was going to. I brushed it across my hand dry and two hairs popped about 1/2" up from the knot. I removed them and did it again, 2 more, I repeated it and 3 more. So 9 hairs in less than 30 seconds. Annoyed, I put it away with thoughts of removing the knot and replacing it, I like the handle.

1. Every example I've seen of removing a knot from a brush has been with a resin handle in hot water. Is it the same procedure for wood? I would guess knot 8>).
2. Most of the bore brushes that I see get great reviews are big and splay a lot. However, I have a "goat", so face lathering with a big brush is awkward and inefficient. Any suggestions for a dense bore that's not enormous?
I had the Zenith Kotibe wood brush as well. It was the softest and floppiest brush I had. It shed here and there but I didn't have get any face feel so I passed it on.

For a dense boar that's not enormous, Proraso boar comes to my mind. I haven't used it but looking at the specs, it fits your criteria.

View attachment 1075759

I think these are the same brushes or something similar. They're Zenith. They're boar. The handles are wood. They were purchased from the same eBay vendor.

I've enjoyed both and had no problems with either.

I've had e-conversations with the vendor. I'm surprised he's not yet responded to your inquiry.

Good luck with this, and I hope you keep us posted.

View attachment 1075767View attachment 1075768

While I like my Zeniths a great deal I also like some of my Omegas - especially the Jade from Connaught - a ton. My SOC boar is okay, too.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Where does one get a "Connaught Omega Jade"? Thanks

I would recommend a small Omega. Omegas come in 27mm and 24mm. Pick up a shorter lofted 24mm. The handles are not that great. I pulled a knot from an Omega 10290 to restore a vintage Fuller brush.

Yesterday I ordered a Zenith B2 from the same vendor. I hope I don't have the same shedding issues.
View attachment 1075755
I wanted to give it another try. I just did the same thing brushing it back and fourth for about 5 minutes. Hair flew out the entire time however, it finally stopped. I'll use it again tomorrow and let you know.

I had the Zenith Kotibe wood brush as well. It was the softest and floppiest brush I had. It shed here and there but I didn't have get any face feel so I passed it on.

For a dense boar that's not enormous, Proraso boar comes to my mind. I haven't used it but looking at the specs, it fits your criteria.
I also thought the Kotibe was really floppy. Thanks I'll take a look at the Proraso.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Neither the Proraso Pro (shop around for price on this brush, which is made by Omega) nor the Connaught Jade (from Connaught in England, shipping is cheap and fast to the US; buy some Vitos soap to try out while shopping there and maybe the Omega Mighty Midget boar)...Neither of these brushes have every heard of floppy.

MiixedMidget.MightyMidget.ProrasoPro.480.4-20-19.JPGJade.MightyMidget.640.4-18.JPG

The ProPro has a backbone of steel. Still, it breaks in and is an excellent brush. The Jade is, in my opinion, the best boar brush on the market.

Add three #13 O Rings to the Mighty Midget and it's even better (see photo).

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have two Zenith boar brushes. One is an aluminum B03-A26, a 26x57mm knot which is just about perfect. The other is Razorock Blondie (rebranded Zenith), that one is a bit floppy with a 64mm loft.

There is a big difference between the 57mm loft and the 64mm loft. The 57mm is more to my taste. Neither brush has shed more than a couple of bristles. I always soak the bristles before use, though.

I have two Zenith boar brushes. One is an aluminum B03-A26, a 26x57mm knot which is just about perfect. The other is Razorock Blondie (rebranded Zenith), that one is a bit floppy with a 64mm loft.

There is a big difference between the 57mm loft and the 64mm loft. The 57mm is more to my taste. Neither brush has shed more than a couple of bristles. I always soak the bristles before use, though.
This is a quote from the GentleShave website regarding the Kotibe: "Loft is set at 57mm. Effective loft is 52-54mm from glue bump." Do you know if, when Semogue and Omega refer to loft are they are referring to from the glue bump or effective loft? I'm trying to compare apples to apples when looking at other brands.

This is a quote from the GentleShave website regarding the Kotibe: "Loft is set at 57mm. Effective loft is 52-54mm from glue bump." Do you know if, when Semogue and Omega refer to loft are they are referring to from the glue bump or effective loft? I'm trying to compare apples to apples when looking at other brands.
Loft usually refers to the bristle length measured from the handle, AFAIK. Measurements provided by the manufactures seem to be approximate, though.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

The Omegas I have are definitely not taking the glue bump into account.

The eBay vendor gives extra and useful information.

Back to azwetshaver. That is one nice Fuller! I have been thinking about replacing the knot in my father’s or granddather’s old Fuller (my father is not sure). 10290 you say :).

IMG_4755.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to azwetshaver. That is one nice Fuller! I have been thinking about replacing the knot in my father’s or granddather’s old Fuller (my father is not sure). 10290 you say :).

View attachment 1076157

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thay is a good looking brush and should be easy to restore.

Here is a link to the thread I started when I restored my Fuller boar brush. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to PM me if you'd like.

Top Bottom