What's new

Zenith knots spin!

I was looking at my Zeniths today - copper horse and copper manchurian. Haven't used them in many months, and discovered that both knots are spinning in the handles.

My best guess is that the glue dried and shrunk. Now I am concerned that water can get in and cause some kind of rot 😡

lasta

Blade Biter
I got the same problem with my Semogues. Pry open a few hairs around the outside and a few drops of superglue.

Copper oxidizes so it could well be that this in combination with the glue happened.
Depending it’s age I would contact the manufacturer or seller
It might be warranty but they might also have dealt with this before and know a quick fix.
Finding a glue which bonds to existing and copper and is applicable via a needle syringe and of course does not mind hot water might be a challenge

might be something for the restoration board members

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
The only advice that I can give is to contact the manufacturer and see if it is a common problem with these handles. I don’t own any of these types of handles.

I have a Zenith in an aluminum handle that has a spinning knot. Please post what you find to repair yours with. It's unfortunate, but I like the Zenith knots so much that it doesn't stop me from buying more.

My Zenith boar is in the copper handle and spins...and I think so what? The brush works really well and it dries out completely between uses so it doesn't bother me...at all. And as @dmshaver says, it won't affect my purchasing more Zenith brushes.

I tried pulling the knot from the handle with my hands, but I couldn't get it out. It did snug up the knot, and it stopped spinning.

I'm not sure if that's a permanent fix. I put it away for awhile, and am planning on returning to it later.

The original plan was to rip out the knot and see if there was any grossness at the base. If it's just a failed glue joint, re-adhere with silicone or epoxy. Clean it up if needed, toss and replace it if there's a terrible stinky monster eating the glue.

I'll check on it again soon and see if it's still snug in the handle now that it's dry.

It was spinning when I went back to it the first time, and I tried to pull the know out again. It got stuck and stopped spinning.

I used it yesterday. When I got it wet, it started shedding a lot. My rough guess is 60 hairs, and mostly from the middle of the knot. I may have damaged it when I tried to pull the knot.

Oops!

I tried pulling the knot from the handle with my hands, but I couldn't get it out. It did snug up the knot, and it stopped spinning.

I'm not sure if that's a permanent fix. I put it away for awhile, and am planning on returning to it later.

The original plan was to rip out the knot and see if there was any grossness at the base. If it's just a failed glue joint, re-adhere with silicone or epoxy. Clean it up if needed, toss and replace it if there's a terrible stinky monster eating the glue.

I'll check on it again soon and see if it's still snug in the handle now that it's dry.

You need to steam the brush in order to weaken the glue so you can pull off the knot. You most certainly damaged the knot by skipping this step. Get a pot.. fill the pot with a few inches of water. Get a coffee mug. Place something at the bottom of the mug that the brush can stand on to avoid the handle making contact with the mug. Then place the mug in the pot and cover the pot to let it steam for an hour or so. It should twist off easily.

Maybe there are better ways but this is how I would do it

Top Bottom