What's new

Zenith just arrived...no, not the tv!

1566511048651-641583726.jpg
Just arrived. This is my first boar. Any suggestions on cleaning, or breaking in before I use it?

Attachments

• 1566510876234-163680433.jpg
    1566510876234-163680433.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
Congrats on that beauty. Soak the knot before loading soap for at least 2 min. Just lather up and it will break in with use. 20 shaves max.

Don't worry about the handle, olive wood is very resilient. Rub it with mineral oil once in a blue moon to keep it shiny and water resistant. Wash the knot with shampoo and conditioner occasionally.

Congrats on that beauty. Soak the knot before loading soap for at least 2 min. Just lather up and it will break in with use. 20 shaves max.

Don't worry about the handle, olive wood is very resilient. Rub it with mineral oil once in a blue moon to keep it shiny and water resistant. Wash the knot with shampoo and conditioner occasionally.

Thanks. And thanks for the info.

That is a beauty! I broke mine in with a very mild shampoo from Trader Joe’s.

Good luck with the new brush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like it very much and it’s a great value, i have the razorock branded version. I have way way too many brushes but I do sneak it in occasionally. The loft is a touch high for my liking but nothing major.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Congratulations on such a nice Zenith boar. I love the olivewood handle.

You could wash it with dish soap or with shaving soap (palm lather or bowl lather), rinse it, dry it, and then use it. Or, you could soak it a couple of minutes in cold or warm water, and begin using it.

Zeniths.All.Boars.640.9-27-18.JPG

You're going to find it breaks in more as you use it, but it's fine from the factory. The picture shows most of my Zenith boars.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Congrats on the beautiful brush! To break in my boars, I soak it in a cup for 24hrs, just upto below the point where the bristles meet the handle. Then I palm lather it and dry it by towel stropping it. After couple repetitions, the brush is mostly broken in and good to go.

However, for Zenith boars, they seem to be broken in from the start for me. It should be soft enough and if not, keep using it to break it in. Hope you enjoy your shaves with it!

That's a beautiful brush! Congrats!

I also prefer, after an initial clean up, to just use a new boar brush and enjoy the break in process.

Congratulations on such a nice Zenith boar. I love the olivewood handle.

You could wash it with dish soap or with shaving soap (palm lather or bowl lather), rinse it, dry it, and then use it. Or, you could soak it a couple of minutes in cold or warm water, and begin using it.

View attachment 1010339

You're going to find it breaks in more as you use it, but it's fine from the factory. The picture shows most of my Zenith boars.

Happy shaves,

Jim

This brush is quite stiff and will need some break in I believe. You have quite an awesome collection!!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This brush is quite stiff and will need some break in I believe. You have quite an awesome collection!!

A boar brush is supposed to be pretty stiff. You don't want that to go away. You do want the feel to be one of comfort on your skin rather than too much scritch.

I've not ever found a Zenith boar to be uncomfortable right out of the box. Like all good boars Zenith boars improve as the ends split, but they're great from the get go. At least mine have been.

MiixedMidget.MightyMidget.ProrasoPro.480.4-20-19.JPG

Now if you want a really stiff brush, and you get one like mine, the way to go is the Proraso Pro. Another super stiff brush is the Omega Mighty Midget. These two brushes also break in, but it's a slow process. The ProPro takes forever to develop into maturity. The smallest brush in my photo is the Mixed Midget (boar and badger); it's quite scritchy but it's a lather monster.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Nice looking brush!

I would just use the brush, then let it dry well before the next use. KISS works!!

Top Bottom