What's new

Zenith Boar B28 Copper

I love my Zenith copper brush, as pictured in my avatar. It is my "go to" regular brush.

I found that I could get the tarnish off the handle by rubbing it with neat handwash cream from the squirty dispensers such as Imperial Leather, after a couple of minutes coating it with that kind of liquid soap it would restore it to "as new" condition.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Here's what my B28 looks like after a few months:
proxy.php

You can remove the tarnish pretty easily, but to be honest I prefer the look of the tarnish. It gives it a lot of character. This brush is pretty much perfect for me.

Wow, that's gorgeous!

I have a copper Zippo, and like an idiot, keep it polished. No more, after seeing that patina!

AA

I removed the tarnish right after I took the photo and immediately regretted it. As cool as it looks shiny, it looks even better with the tarnish. That brush is a workhorse and deserves to look like it.

The good news is that it tarnishes SUPER quickly, so it was only shiny for a day.

I got mine, used it once, and noticed something. I wonder if any users of the copper brush handles experience the same thing. My hands smelled of copper. I don't know why, but the smell it left on my hands reminded me of the way my old elementary school bathrooms smelled.. not pleasant. I like how it performed. I like the look. I like boar brushes, and this one is a good one. Not sure I can cope with how the copper makes my hands smell after using it. I noticed the smell lingering after washing my hands twice, & even after applying Clubman Pinaud aftershave. Perhaps nitrile/latex gloves are in my future..

Anyone else notice this phenomenon, or is this just me?

I don't mean to be misguiding but perhaps your nose picks out the smell of copper 'oxidation'. The handle didn't smell when brand new and not exposed to air. Gradually the copper oxidize in air giving it darker patina and gives out a mild smell.
My brush handle smells of copper and I do get smell of brass from my Karve razor. If the smell bothers you and interfere with shave routine then you can try Renaissance wax and seal the metal from oxidation. One application is good for couple of months.

that is a beautiful photo of a beautiful brush right there, BTW.
Thanks!

The copper smell dissipates with use. If you've ever installed copper plumbing you'd notice that the water tastes horribly of metallic copper for some time. It eventually goes away. I think that the oxidation actually stops the smell, but I'm just guessing.

This is my brush fully broken in. Got some nice patina there but not much as I live in dry weather. I surprised that in spite of patina the handle still shines. The knot has opened up nicely and I really like how filled the knot is with plenty of backbone. It just needs a 1 minute soak and ready to whip up a storm. Only my Omega 20102 knot can hold more lather than the zenith.
IMG_20190802_202232.jpg IMG_20190801_185631_hdr.jpg

This is my brush fully broken in. Got some nice patina there but not much as I live in dry weather. I surprised that in spite of patina the handle still shines. The knot has opened up nicely and I really like how filled the knot is with plenty of backbone. It just needs a 1 minute soak and ready to whip up a storm. Only my Omega 20102 knot can hold more lather than the zenith.
View attachment 1004741 View attachment 1004742

is that verdigris? could that be a knot issue?

Yes it is pigmentation and not a knot issue. It makes me wonder too if the green muck will gradually eat away the bristles

I have the same green line in mine. It hasn't increased. I'm okay with it considering how awesome the brush performs.

Echo the comments made. Really like this brush. Its got a large knot and is super soft once broken in. The break in was quick and it performed well almost immediately. I have my eye on the B2 brush at present with the slightly smaller 26mm knot and an aluminium handle. Its been in my shopping cart for a while now. I don't think i can resist. Here is a pic of my brush with a bit of patina. Its a nice dark brown.

Attachments

• IMG_20191115_112456.jpg
    IMG_20191115_112456.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 96
The odor of copper after handling it is actually your body's own oils and perspiration breaking down in contact with the metal. It is not coming from the metal itself.

Patina comes about from oxidation, like rust on iron. This initial layer of oxidation is usually brown or black. Later on, this initial patina can undergo further chemical reaction which is where the green, blue, etc. colors come in.

Just ordered one of these this morning... I'm very much looking forward to it! I've been on a Semogue kick lately but the copper handle modeled after the Omega 49 got me. That $10 Omega 49 really is a great brush, and this seems to be a higher end take on that style - plus I'm a sucker for patina!

Just ordered one of these this morning... I'm very much looking forward to it! I've been on a Semogue kick lately but the copper handle modeled after the Omega 49 got me. That $10 Omega 49 really is a great brush, and this seems to be a higher end take on that style - plus I'm a sucker for patina!
B28 had thinner bristles that splits like any Omega; have good density but result in more plush feel than any boar I know. You may never go back home Semogue

B28 had thinner bristles that splits like any Omega; have good density but result in more plush feel than any boar I know. You may never go back home Semogue

I'm sure that the bristle quality is different or "nicer" than the Omega offerings. One of the first things I noticed in my Semogues was the finer and denser bristles in the knot compared to Omega. The Omega brushes work great and feel very nice but it was immediately apparent that I have a preference for finer bristles and shorter loft.

On this Zenith brush, is the shorter loft noticeable compared to an Omega 48/49? The 60-65mm Omega stuff could stand to be shortened a bit in my opinion. Even with less backbone I find it easier to use the 55-57mm Semogue brushes on the face.

Top Bottom