What's new

Zenith boar B10 vs. B16 thoughts- looking for restoration knot

I got suckered into another vintage Fuller brush. :out: I just love how the butterscotch and black handles look. This will be my 4th restoration using these handles. I thought about using a 3 band silvertip but had another idea come to mind.

I restored one with a 24mm Omega boar knot. I am thinking about using a Zenith boar knot this time around. I have the larger Proraso Pro (Omega) and a Zenith B2 already. The Zenith blows my Proraso Pro away. I am hoping the same will happen with this new restoration.

I see Zenith has a smaller 24mm brush option. There is a B10 which has a plastic handle and a B16 which has an aluminum handle. The vendor lists the aluminum B16 as having a "premium" boar knot. The plastic B10 des not mention premium.

If anyone has both, are the knots the same on these two Zenith boar brushes? It's about $10 more for the aluminum B16, but the plastic one seems easier to remove the knot.

The only differences I know of with that size Zenith knot is bleached vs. unbleached. Bleached has a bit softer tips and a less scrubby feeling.

Compare:

Note the Gentle Shave guy has invented his own model numbers which tends to confuse people when trying to compare with other vendors.

The only differences I know of with that size Zenith knot is bleached vs. unbleached. Bleached has a bit softer tips and a less scrubby feeling.

Compare:

Note the Gentle Shave guy has invented his own model numbers which tends to confuse people when trying to compare with other vendors.
That is the vendor I was looking into. I contacted him and he responded. He stated they are the same knot. Only difference is the handle. Might be correct as it's only a $10 difference. That would be bout right for an aluminum handle. I would suspect a higher quality premium knot raising the price even more.

How'd that turn out? Are Zenith knots as easy to harvest as Omega?
The Zenith is not as easy to harvest as an Omega. With an Omega, I drill a hole and punch the knot out. With the Zeinth I had to break the handle. It has a more glue than the Omega. I had to then file off the glue to be able to remove the cap.

Here are the two brushes. Zenith on left, Omega on right. The Omega handle has more character.

20201118_092049.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom