What's new

Zenith 508A XL Manchurian Badger Brush

Has anyone used or seen a review of this brush?
31 mm knot
50 mm loft
58 mm handle
Cost shipped is approximately $125.00
2E80C79D-A3C0-4495-8B93-659162BB442A.png

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I have not. The key question with all Zenith brushes, whether boar, badger, horse, or synthetic is the size of the glue bump. My first two 26mm Manchurians had virtually no bump to speak of, but when I bought one in this style the bump made the brush unpleasantly stiff and scrubby.

zenith cobalt.jpg

I love Zenith, I love their boar brushes, I love the heritage of the Pandolfo family from Palermo, Sicily that runs the brand, generation after generation. Maybe they have produced this brush in honor of Polyphemus but a 31mm Badger is beyond overkill, it's on the verge of an exhibition brush.
For my tastes 26mm, once bloomed, is way too big. Simpson 21-23mm is my sweet spot (from Duke 2 to 58), that's the only reason why I haven't pulled the trigger on a Zenith Manchurian (and I know they are great brushes!)

I love Zenith, I love their boar brushes, I love the heritage of the Pandolfo family from Palermo, Sicily that runs the brand, generation after generation. Maybe they have produced this brush in honor of Polyphemus but a 31mm Badger is beyond overkill, it's on the verge of an exhibition brush.
For my tastes 26mm, once bloomed, is way too big. Simpson 21-23mm is my sweet spot (from Duke 2 to 58), that's the only reason why I haven't pulled the trigger on a Zenith Manchurian (and I know they are great brushes!)
I am getting the 505AK it is 28X51mm same as my Chubby 2 Super

Zenith does have 2 that are 26mm, but that is the smallest in Manchurian
They are the 507MCB and 506BC

I have ordered 4 shaving brushes they are:
Mühle 31K256 Silver tip Fibres it is 27mm knot
Simpson’s Chubby 2 Synthetic 28mm knot
Zenith 50/50 Horse Hair brush 27mm knot
Zenith 505AK, Manchurian Badger 28mm knot

This should be it for awhile.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Has anyone used or seen a review of this brush?
31 mm knot
50 mm loft
58 mm handle
Cost shipped is approximately $125.00View attachment 1185612

Two.Zenith.Manchurians.1-5-19.640.JPG

These are my two Zenith Manchurians. Both, with nominal knot measurements of 27.5 mm and 28 mm, are great brushes. Zenith Manchurians are bargains.

I've been tempted by that huge Manchurian knot, but haven't ordered it for a couple of reasons.
  • I don't need it.​
  • My 28 mm copper handled Zenith Manchurian is great, and its knot is plenty large enough for me.​
  • I don't love the handle of any of the biggest Zenith Manchurians I've seen.​
  • I don't like the caveats published about babying the huge knot.​
All that said, I'm interested in reviews of the huge Manchurian by Zenith.

Happy shaves,

Jim

View attachment 1188423

These are my two Zenith Manchurians. Both, with nominal knot measurements of 27.5 mm and 28 mm, are great brushes. Zenith Manchurians are bargains.

I've been tempted by that huge Manchurian knot, but haven't ordered it for a couple of reasons.
  • I don't need it.​
  • My 28 mm copper handled Zenith Manchurian is great, and its knot is plenty large enough for me.​
  • I don't love the handle of any of the biggest Zenith Manchurians I've seen.​
  • I don't like the caveats published about babying the huge knot.​
All that said, I'm interested in reviews of the huge Manchurian by Zenith.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I ended up getting the 505AK Manchurian 28mm knot and I love it

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I ended up getting the 505AK Manchurian 28mm knot and I love it

Very cool brush ⬆ I think.

I suspect it's the same knot as the one in my copper handled brush. Great knot. Changes considerably over time. Mine is now extremely soft, but it still has great backbone and scrub.

Backbone.Dino..jpeg

To begin with, when the brush was new, the backbone was clearly a transplant. I was warned to be careful with the new brush as it had the scrub of a Brillo pad.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Very cool brush ⬆ I think.

I suspect it's the same knot as the one in my copper handled brush. Great knot. Changes considerably over time. Mine is now extremely soft, but it still has great backbone and scrub.

View attachment 1188430

To begin with, when the brush was new, the backbone was clearly a transplant. I was warned to be careful with the new brush as it had the scrub of a Brillo pad.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Did you order yours from Gentle Shave or YourShaving? About 15% cheaper from YourShaving, but much longer wait time

Great knot. Changes considerably over time. Mine is now extremely soft, but it still has great backbone and scrub.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Over how many shaves did you see the transition?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Did you order yours from Gentle Shave or YourShaving? About 15% cheaper from YourShaving, but much longer wait time

As far as I know only Gentile Shave has the non-chromed copper handles. Mine came from the eBay vendor. I have brushes from YourShaving; their prices are better when the exchange rates are favorable.

Over how many shaves did you see the transition?

Every one of my shaves is documented on my Damn Comfortable Shave thread but I'm far too lazy to go through all of the shaves with the copper handled Zenith Manchurian to even try to accurately and quantitatively answer your question and doubt I documented the changes very well, but you're welcome to read the thread and find out.

Even on its first outing, shave report here, I liked the brush. Used as described in the initial shave report the brush was soft enough, but used with just a little tiny bit of mashing the brush was anything but soft.

I've certainly used the brush many many times now. I'd guess at least a hundred times and wouldn't be shocked to find I've used it 200 times. Exactly how it changed, and when is very hard to say. Only fairly recently have I noticed an absolute lack of anything other than softness in the tips throughout the range of pressures I sometimes use. There has always been softness at certain pressures and always when painting.

Variable softness of the tips depending on pressure is, in my limited experience, characteristic of the Zenith Manchurian. The same with the Shavemac two bands (both D01 and non D01) and with my Simpson CH2 in Best.

My wooden handled Zenith Manchurian came to me third hand and was already very well broken in when I got it so it's no help here. I like it fine, but can't comment on what it was like new.

The most useful thing I can say about the break in process with the Zenith Manchurians is to enjoy the ride. There are no stages so far which I've not enjoyed.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom