What's new

Zenith 508A XL Manchurian Badger Brush

Left: 508A XL MB, 31x57, Manchurian
Right: 508A XL SMB, 31x57, Silvertip 50% - Manchurian 50%.
Very low glue bump, maybe 3 or 4 mm.

Outstanding brushes, that far exceeded my high expectations. Very similar face feel of my two Simpson Chubby 3 Two Band Silvertip, but with more "volume". They splay very well, remain compact when painting, no problems with releasing soap (full disclaimer, I alway use a lot of soap, with all my brushes). I don't use a bowl.
As it happed with their boar brushes, they had very little animal scent, which went away after cleaning them with soap or just after the first shave. No dark water when soaked for the first time, contrary to what had happened with other badger brushes.
To my surprise the MB is slightly softer than the SMB. I am still not sure about which one I prefer. They are both simply luxurious.
Sometimes I read that Zenith's are excellent brushes for their price. Based on these two brushes I find it totally misleading. These two are just excellent high quality brushes, regardless.

I do not have other Zenith badger brushes, so I cannot compare them to their regular silvertip or to smaller size knots.

IMG_1105.jpeg

I have the 507a with 27mm Manchurian knot. The handle shape is what sold me as I wanted a slimmer handle.

The first use it had a slight smell and I got some dark water, but both went away after that.
It’s my first Badger brush so I can’t say how it compares to others, but it feels luxurious on face. Very dense, soft, a hint of scruffiness that’s perfect, plenty of backbone and it makes a great lather. I can’t imagine how a knot could feel any better.

My only gripe is a personal preference really, in that I’ve learned that I prefer smaller knots and find this one too big. When splayed it almost covers my whole cheek.
Going forward I’ll be looking for smaller knots but quality-wise, this will be my badger knot benchmark.

IMG_3847.jpeg

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Since were all talking about our Zenith knots, I might as well share mine! It is my first and only Zenith brush that I bought back in August of last year, and I absolutely love mine!

Blue Chubby - 28mm Large Knot Manchurian Brush by Zenith Made In Italy M28​

proxy.php

This brush has a blue resin handle with a nice 28mm Manchurian badger knot in it. The loft is set at 51mm. The effective loft is 43-45mm from the glue bump. Weight is around 77 grams for the brush. The handle is 51mm tall with a total height of just over 100mm.

proxy.php

My Zenith Manchurian is literally the leader of my brush army. It has just the right amount of fiber softness, while maintaining a solid scrub. It holds just the right amount of soap lather to get the job done. Its size, is within the limits of being able to load the brush, directly from a soap puk as well. The handle feels good in the hand, but could be longer, to allow for easier resting on a lather bowl lip.

proxy.php

I have no noticeable glue bump issues on mine, I don't even know that it is there. And being that this brush is not a terribly made synthetic, it doesn't launch soap lather across the room. This brush is made so well, that even when it was brand new, I didn't lose much beyond a couple fibers. The knot is beautiful, the handle is beautiful, whats not to like? And I agree with @Chan Eil Whiskers these knots are plenty large enough!

proxy.php
proxy.php

Top Bottom