What's new

zed117's Year of Stirling

I went out today to get some Old spice Aftershave to go with my Soap. I am surprised I like it! I remember hating the stuff just a few years ago. I swear Wet shaving has changed my nose, I use to wear axe a few years ago as a teen, now it smells like chemical crap. Really dig the classic Scent. I would still put Old spice Original High endurance a bit ahead, it smells heavenly.

From my understanding, the "new" Old Spice is different than what you may remember from a few years ago. I'm not sure when they reformulated the scent, but I've seen a few posts on it.

Alright! Came to 3 Packages in the mail! my Fatboys got here and so did the soap sent to me by a member, I am going to wait till later here are my first impressions of the scents:

Texas on Fire: WOW, I was worried from the description that it would smell like a huge campfire and smoke. It actually smells like a nice Fire, that someone threw some spices on and dropped a bottle of Chipotle. While Strong I don't mind it, I bet it will be warm. I will have to shave to decide for sure, but I don't hate it.

Ben Franklin: I like this one the most from the soaps I was gifted, smells like Rootbeer with other undertones. I totally get the sweaty pantaloons, but, I like it. You have to smell it to get it, its a nice scent and I wish I had more than a sample puck for the sabbatical.

Gin and Tonic: Really nice crisp clean smell, I liked it, but I could smell some texas on the puck, so it needs a good lather.

Scotts Pine Sheep: Hm. I can smell the pine and then the sheep, I can tell just from the texture my skin is going to love it, I am going to have to see how the pine vs sheep smell mellow out during the shave.

Last edited:
Okay went to my girlfriends house and brought along my fat boy and Ben Franklin for her to smell. She said it smelled like nothing really. Just soap to her. I decided to try it and wow! If i was not impressed with Stirling i sure am now. It partnered lt was a lot easier to dial in the lather then MITA or black ice. Nice.and slick and i honestly am in love with the scent. I put on some old spice aftershave that really compliments the soap. Very happy with Stirling yet again.

Not warming up to Texas on fire, my bedroom where i left it smells like it strongly now. I'm going to shave with it tomorrow and if i don't like it, it's going as a freebie to my Brother.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Great thread! I look forward to reading your impressions of the various Stirling soaps as you move through them, particularly the Noir. That one peaks my interest due to the special Australian mud or whatever. I know Anise has it too, but I'm not so much into black licorice.

Santa brought me three Stirling sample pucks - a Scots Pine Sheep, sandalwood, and Ozark Mountain. First shave was with the Scots Pine, which I liked. I'm sort of on the fence about the pine scent, though. Maybe it will grow on me. Second shave was with the Sandalwood. Great scent! I really liked it, sort of reminded me of the Middle East. Unfortunately, while I liked the Sandalwood, it did NOT like me. It burned! Oh, how it burned. I made it through the shave, which was otherwise great, but I guess I'm not a sandalwood guy. Performance and post-shave feel have been topnotch on both soaps - (high) expectations met. Ozark Mountain is up tomorrow and I am definitely looking forward to it. The puck smells wonderful.

Great thread! I look forward to reading your impressions of the various Stirling soaps as you move through them, particularly the Noir. That one peaks my interest due to the special Australian mud or whatever. I know Anise has it too, but I'm not so much into black licorice.

Santa brought me three Stirling sample pucks - a Scots Pine Sheep, sandalwood, and Ozark Mountain. First shave was with the Scots Pine, which I liked. I'm sort of on the fence about the pine scent, though. Maybe it will grow on me. Second shave was with the Sandalwood. Great scent! I really liked it, sort of reminded me of the Middle East. Unfortunately, while I liked the Sandalwood, it did NOT like me. It burned! Oh, how it burned. I made it through the shave, which was otherwise great, but I guess I'm not a sandalwood guy. Performance and post-shave feel have been topnotch on both soaps - (high) expectations met. Ozark Mountain is up tomorrow and I am definitely looking forward to it. The puck smells wonderful.

Thank you, once i shave with all of them at least once i plan to rate them by scent, lather abilities, post shave feel etc. Then after the whole year do it again and see what's changed. I will post after every shave my thoughts as well as what blade, razor, brush and aftershave i used. Enjoy Ozark! I've heard good things!.

Also I remember how STRONG my first order smelled with the Glacial Obsidian and MITA.

What happened to this soap? I odered some that I haven't tried yet and that makes two Stirling soaps, the other is his Rose, I have that are discontinued.

What happened to this soap? I odered some that I haven't tried yet and that makes two Stirling soaps, the other is his Rose, I have that are discontinued.

They arent discontinued, just gone for the winter.
Rod Removes the Glacial Line because it sells poorly in the middle of winter hahaha. Once spring Starts the Whole line up will be back up as well as some new ones. You can Always Pm Rod if you want that extra COLD!

Stirling soaps are the only ones I use anymore. I've tried 9 or 10 so far and like all of them, but my favorite is Scots Pine sheep soap for its rich lather and the way the lanolin makes my face feel so soft and smooth. For fragrance my favorite is Coniferous followed by Ozark Mountain.

Interesting thread. Thanks for doing it. I will very much look forward to your Port-au-Prince thoughts. I've used more than a dozen Stirlings & liked many (Ozark Mtn, MITA, Iced Coffee, Lampasas), found some interesting-but-not-for-me (Texas on Fire, Electric Sheep, Nag Champa), but Port-au-Prince emerged as the shining star for me, despite being a bit uneasy with it at first.

If I were forced to make a bad analogy, P-au-P is like the slightly scary dog that you might adopt from a shelter. When you bring it home, it might smell funny, pee on your floor & growl at your friends. At that point, you're almost certain you made a major pet selection error. But after a bath, some training & affection, that scary dog smells pretty good, fetches, goes for walks and becomes a friendly, loyal, indispensable member of the family. That, ladies & gents, is Port-au-Prince.

Interesting thread. Thanks for doing it. I will very much look forward to your Port-au-Prince thoughts. I've used more than a dozen Stirlings & liked many (Ozark Mtn, MITA, Iced Coffee, Lampasas), found some interesting-but-not-for-me (Texas on Fire, Electric Sheep, Nag Champa), but Port-au-Prince emerged as the shining star for me, despite being a bit uneasy with it at first.

If I were forced to make a bad analogy, P-au-P is like the slightly scary dog that you might adopt from a shelter. When you bring it home, it might smell funny, pee on your floor & growl at your friends. At that point, you're almost certain you made a major pet selection error. But after a bath, some training & affection, that scary dog smells pretty good, fetches, goes for walks and becomes a friendly, loyal, indispensable member of the family. That, ladies & gents, is Port-au-Prince.

Very interesting, I only picked it up because it said like a Spa, soothing, etc. Sounds like a nice "I need to relax" Shave. the French clay also swayed me.

Honestly I am looking forwards to Sharp dressed man the most followed closely by Tuscany. I am really glad a member sent me the Scoots pine and Ben franklin, otherwise I never would have purchased them.

Is there anything else anyone would like me to do for this Year of Stirling Thread? I plan to post lots of pictures. If you have any ideas or comments let me know!

Scots pine sheep: This one hit me at home, I am half Uruguayan, half American. My dad is from Colorado and Mom From Uruguay, unfortunately I am very pale like my dad.

I mention this because we visted Uruguay a few times, and this smells like a memory. We would visit the ocean down there and my Grandma would wash laundry with soap that was made with Lanolin and Tallow. This soap smells like that soap, and the fresh ocean air. So when it hit my face BAM! Memory lame. So to me the smell is fantastic.

The Lanolin definitely pushes this soap to the top post shave feel wise! My skin feels like I dumped a whole bottle of moisturizer and it dried off an hour later, soft and fresh.

The lather was thick and slick and I could actually do a few touch ups without Re-lathering.

I went with a Gem Clog Pruf today and a Omega 1049. I always work Stirling until my brush can get peaks and stand in the, I soak my brush before my shower, shake all the water off, load for about 30 seconds, go to my scuttle and work it up for about 2- minutes while adding trickles of water, the result is the slickest lather around. Takes a bit off work but WELL worth the work.

$DSC02735.jpg$DSC02734.jpg

Edit: after putting away my camera I added another trickle and beat it for a few more seconds, then it really peaked and I had a great shave, just did not feel like getting out my camera, needless to say great thick lather.

My Brush is also really soft now :lol:

Hope you guys have a great shave today!

Last edited:

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Your first impressions of Scots Pine Sheep matches mine to a tee. Well, except that I don't have a Grandma in Uruguay, nor have I ever been there. But I digress - yes, the post shave feel is outstanding - a standout for me. I wonder how it compares to other popular lanolin soaps like MWF and Hanslinger? BTW, after reading through Stirling's ingredient lists again, I noticed that lanolin is in all the soaps, not just the "Sheep" soaps. :glare: Hmmm. Maybe the "Sheep" soaps have more, plus the mutton tallow of course. Does mutton tallow vs. beef tallow make a difference?

On a separate note, the Ozark Mountain is simply divine. My favorite of the three samples after one shave with each. Lovely, subtle scent. Performance felt the best of the three, but I don't know why. It was just an awesome shave. And it didn't try to burn my face off like the Sandalwood, so that's a plus. Post shave was not quite as good as Scots Pine, but excellent nonetheless. Two thumbs up! :thumbup:

Your first impressions of Scots Pine Sheep matches mine to a tee. Well, except that I don't have a Grandma in Uruguay, nor have I ever been there. But I digress - yes, the post shave feel is outstanding - a standout for me. I wonder how it compares to other popular lanolin soaps like MWF and Hanslinger? BTW, after reading through Stirling's ingredient lists again, I noticed that lanolin is in all the soaps, not just the "Sheep" soaps. :glare: Hmmm. Maybe the "Sheep" soaps have more, plus the mutton tallow of course. Does mutton tallow vs. beef tallow make a difference?

On a separate note, the Ozark Mountain is simply divine. My favorite of the three samples after one shave with each. Lovely, subtle scent. Performance felt the best of the three, but I don't know why. It was just an awesome shave. And it didn't try to burn my face off like the Sandalwood, so that's a plus. Post shave was not quite as good as Scots Pine, but excellent nonetheless. Two thumbs up! :thumbup:

Some people just seem to get face burn from sandalwood, thankfully I am not one of those people. I am pretty sure Sheep tallow is supposed to be superior.

Indeed here I am, 8 hours later, and my skin still has that great post shave feeling. Quite a bit longer then usual!

Stirling sandalwood is a synthetic fragrance. I think I remember reading a comment that Rod made that real Sandalwood oil is a couple hundred bucks for a small bottle and that it just wasn't economically feasible.

I've really only shaved with Stirling stuff the past few months. My favorite is the unsung Tea Tree shave soap. I use the tea tree bath soap too. I've heard it's good for your skin. I guess that's probably true, but I like the way it smells and there's no artificial fragrance oils in it.

Sorry for posting late, busy day today.!

I went for my classic Margaritas in the arctic. This was my first Stirling soap, and its what converted me to try all of them. Smells like Margarita mix before putting Tequila in it, with a nice Swash of cold. Not as cold as the Glacial series, but colder then Proraso by quite a bit. I like the Cold level in this soap, I always feel really clean and refreshed after using it. A bit more work to lather, I find this one to be a tad thirsty but not as thirst as a Glacial Soap.

I have the whole MITA line, so I finished off with the Witch Hazel Aftershave, then the Balm which has great staying power! After a shave like this I always am in a good mood and ready for the day.

I used my Fathers Sheffield today.
$securedownload.jpg

Happy New years! My package was updated and shipped yesterday, but I still have one sample left to try before it gets here. (and plenty of Margaritas in the arctic left).

Today I tried the Gin and Tonic. Honestly I have never smelled Gin besides a Martini, I am more of a Rum guy, to my nose it smelled like Lemon, Ginger and something sweet? like a cookie. Nice Scent, but not my cup of tea. I will gladly use up the sample, but out of the dozen + soaps incoming, it might be a while before I get back to it.

It lathered like any other Stirling Soap: Slick, yogurt, protective. My skin Felt average after using it (Stirling Average, which for me is still above most other soaps!), somewhere between Ben Franklin and MITA. I think Scots Pine sheep has really spoiled me when It comes to post shave feel haha.

I finished off with Old spice and some Witch Hazel. Good BBS shave in two passes and touch ups, Used my Red tip to bring in the New year.
$DSC02738.jpg$DSC02743.jpg

Holy cow, my Order got it here today, I am so happy I went through with this, really excited!!!

Attachments

• $asasz.jpg
    $asasz.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 105
  • $az.jpg
    $az.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 104
Everything Smelled Fantastic for the most part, here are my first impressions:

- Old Spice: really similar to Shulton Old spice, nice strong scent.

-Ben Franklin: I already had a sample, this stuff is great, you have to smell it to get it. 10/10

-Scott's pine sheep: already reviewed this scent, Fantastic, so slick due to the Tallow and Lanolin, my skin feels great hours later, smells like pine and sheep fat.

-Nag Champa: Smells EXACTLY like the Incense, love it! 10/10

-Vanilla Sandalwood: nice subtle scent, sweet and pleasing.

-Noir: Smells like a Cologne, not bad, I like it.

-Sharp Dressed Man: Previously I had only smelled Mama Bears take on it, I have to say, this smells Excellent, one of my Favorites.

-Bay Rum: Smells EXACTLY!!! like Razorock Captains choice Bay rum, to a T.

-Black Ice: Already had the glacial black, this smells more like Anise, excellent

-Tuscany: MY absolute Favorite out of the order, Smells clean, flowery, sweet, warm, a little spice, a little of this and that, I cant describe it, you need to smell it. 10/10.

-Port au prince: My least favorite out of the Batch, smells like a mix of candles, one of those Vegetable shakes, and incense, not terrible but I don't like it to much, will have to see how the French clay performs. EDIT: I recently just test lathered and this stuff smells amazing, disregard previous opinion, must have been all the scents mixed, I smell nice fresh Spa now.

-Margaritas in the Arctic: Excellent as always, smells like a frozen Margarita without the alcohol. Cold, slick amazing. 10/10

-Bonaparte(sample): Glad I ordered a sample, it smells like a strong soap with some bath salts, my Girlfriend loves it, I think it is good, not great.

-Gin and tonic(sample): Akready reviewed this one, okay.

-Texas on fire(sample): I pifed this one a long time ago. NO.

Scent wise I love: Tuscany, MITA, SDM, Ben Franklin, Nag Champa. 10/10

I Really like: Old spice, Vanilla Sandalwood, Black ice, Bay Rum, Scots pine sheep, Port Au prince 8.5/10

I like: Noir, Gin and Tonic. 7/10

Texas on fire: Somone spilled a bottle of chipotle on the fire, in a small enclosed space 2/10

Last edited:
Will be intrigued to follow along here. Long time Stirling fan, but I've accumulated so much that I haven't placed an order in some time. I will be interested to hear about all the new scents.

Also ... something needs to be said.

Okay went to my girlfriends house and brought along my fat boy and Ben Franklin for her to smell.

I'm not usually one to make crude jokes ... but that line is just too good.

Will be intrigued to follow along here. Long time Stirling fan, but I've accumulated so much that I haven't placed an order in some time. I will be interested to hear about all the new scents.

Also ... something needs to be said.

I'm not usually one to make crude jokes ... but that line is just too good.

Haha I didn't catch that!

Top Bottom