What's new

Zaza - turkish Boar brush

Folks this is my newest Boar,it's from turkey
The manufacturer says it clear,it's a Boar !
No,no tricks this time,this isn't a "horse" as some others say although their knot looks like-smells like-feel like a Boar.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Overall height 105mm / 4.25 inches
Loft 50mm / 2 inches
Knot 25mm / 1 inch

I think that the wood is Mahogany and there is a question about his endurance in water
We will see in the future,otherwise i will re-handle it.
The knot is softer than Omega's but not softer than Semogue's
Is a little bit softer than his brother,the other turkish Boar the Jaguar.
No glue over-flue problems as you can see,more photos and impressions soon after the de-funk work.

very nice handle. Good backbone. I have the same brush with different name, Rodeo, which is another Turkish brand. It's heavy duty nice brush.

I use fretboard conditioner on my guitars fretboard but also on my brushes that have a wooden handle.No problems after 2 years of use,it will make the handle a lil darker but it helps block out moisture.On a guitar that means sweat,It's Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes,just wipe down the handle,and let dry for 10 min,then wipe with a dry cloth or paper towel.

The wood looks like beech to me. The knot looks like boar, which brings to mind a question. I spent two years in Turkey courtesy of the USAF back in the early 1970's and did quite a bit of boar hunting in the mountains around Izmir. Many of the Turks would not touch a dead boar, thinking it unclean under their religious teachings. I wonder where they get people to make boar brushes, although I assume some things have changed, especially in some of the more cosmopolitan areas such as Istanbul, with Izmir a second.

The wood looks like beech to me. The knot looks like boar, which brings to mind a question. I spent two years in Turkey courtesy of the USAF back in the early 1970's and did quite a bit of boar hunting in the mountains around Izmir. Many of the Turks would not touch a dead boar, thinking it unclean under their religious teachings. I wonder where they get people to make boar brushes, although I assume some things have changed, especially in some of the more cosmopolitan areas such as Istanbul, with Izmir a second.

Interesting thought...especially with only 0.2% of the population (other figure it at less than 4%) adopting other religions.

I use fretboard conditioner on my guitars fretboard but also on my brushes that have a wooden handle.No problems after 2 years of use,it will make the handle a lil darker but it helps block out moisture.On a guitar that means sweat,It's Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes,just wipe down the handle,and let dry for 10 min,then wipe with a dry cloth or paper towel.

Interesting! A reason for me to cross my hobbies. Cheers for that :thumbup1:

The knot looks like boar, which brings to mind a question.

Many turkish "horse" knots look like Boar knots
If someone has from another source let's tells us if they smell the same and perform the same.

I spent two years in Turkey courtesy of the USAF back in the early 1970's and did quite a bit of boar hunting in the mountains around Izmir. Many of the Turks would not touch a dead boar, thinking it unclean under their religious teachings. I wonder where they get people to make boar brushes, although I assume some things have changed, especially in some of the more cosmopolitan areas such as Istanbul, with Izmir a second.

The company that makes those Zaza brushes is in Constantinople
Others brands as Jaguar don't sell only in turkey but the sell in the whole world.
When it's time for money many things can be neglected
Ask the Greek engineers that they worlk for decades in Middle East,some stores serve tea that won't smell and tastes like the tea as Lipton for example
Same colour as you see it from distance but the smell is stronger and if you drink too much you may have a problem
I think you understand what i am saying.

very nice handle. Good backbone. I have the same brush with different name, Rodeo, which is another Turkish brand. It's heavy duty nice brush.

I have a doubt about the handle if she can stand long against moisture etc
The same brush can be seen as Jaguar,you can find them with different name in amazon.com

@Doryferon after using it, you can dry with towel. No worries, it is very cheap brush.

There is no horse hair brush in Turkish market. Brush makers sell all boar brushes as horse brush or natural hair brushes because Turkish people are disgusting the boar. If they knew, most of them wouldn't use it.

I have a beech handle for a cheap HJM brush. Its ergonomics are terrific. Initially, I took a small boar bristle paint brush and painted the handle with 2-4 coats of walnut oil, letting this soak in for 24 hrs. between coats. Then a new coat every now and then, when the wood looks like it's drying out. Never had a problem with it.

@Doryferon after using it, you can dry with towel. No worries, it is very cheap brush.

There is no horse hair brush in Turkish market. Brush makers sell all boar brushes as horse brush or natural hair brushes because Turkish people are disgusting the boar. If they knew, most of them wouldn't use it.

Yes it's cheap but i will treat that brush with respect as others
As a shaver i have use turkish products and i will continue to do posting comments
You speak the truth about that,we knew it among other things but it's great that you have the courage to say it in public.

proxy.php

That Zaza is a little bit different from Jaguar,the bristles need more break-in period and more de-funk work
It's a little bit softer and needs a little bit less pressure in the face while swirling.
Here are the first bowl lather photos,i will keep you informed for my next shavings with that brush.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The knot has a small inclination if you look him from all sides
I pray for the handle to last long but even it fails i will continue to use that knot.
As about the Zaza people:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaza_people

Firstly I'm from Turkey :)
No, Zaza's an ethnic group in Turkey.

I am not here to comment about ZAZA brushes, but I am here to correct misconceptions about where the name "ZAZA" comes from. Yes, Zaza is an ethnic group here in Turkey, and people who speak Zaza language are called Zazas, but history of the brand is very different than that. Firstly I have to add that this is a serious founder, because its first in Turkey and third in the whole world razor blade factory. I hear you saying "Wait, what? It has to have a loong loong history then" and you are correct. In 1917 Paul Zazadze moved from his hometown Georgia to Istanbul (Then it was called Constantinople and in 1930 it was changed to Istanbul officially), because he wanted to continue his studies there, but fate played its game as it always does, and he couldnt return home because of Bolshevik Revolution, then he decided to stay there in Istanbul and started to have a business with his fellow countrymen, with Georgian traders. He would trade straight razors, knives from Germany. Then in 1930 he founded razor blade factory. Well, this is the real history of the "ZAZA" brand.

TL;DR: Brand name "ZAZA" comes from a person, Paul Zazadze, and has nothing to do with ethnic group called Zazas.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
I am not here to comment about ZAZA brushes, but I am here to correct misconceptions about where the name "ZAZA" comes from. Yes, Zaza is an ethnic group here in Turkey, and people who speak Zaza language are called Zazas, but history of the brand is very different than that. Firstly I have to add that this is a serious founder, because its first in Turkey and third in the whole world razor blade factory. I hear you saying "Wait, what? It has to have a loong loong history then" and you are correct. In 1917 Paul Zazadze moved from his hometown Georgia to Istanbul (Then it was called Constantinople and in 1930 it was changed to Istanbul officially), because he wanted to continue his studies there, but fate played its game as it always does, and he couldnt return home because of Bolshevik Revolution, then he decided to stay there in Istanbul and started to have a business with his fellow countrymen, with Georgian traders. He would trade straight razors, knives from Germany. Then in 1930 he founded razor blade factory. Well, this is the real history of the "ZAZA" brand.

TL;DR: Brand name "ZAZA" comes from a person, Paul Zazadze, and has nothing to do with ethnic group called Zazas.
Thanks, it is very interesting.

Top Bottom