What's new

Zamak?

After watching one of my first new razors rot after the plating wore off of the threads, I've never bought another zamak razor. But I see a lot of posts about modern razors made of this cheap cast zinc that breaks when dropped to the counter, much less to the floor. The common solution it to buy backup razors for the inevitable failure. Wouldn't buying a quality razor in the first place be a better solution? And I see major brands selling these razors wildly overpriced, a zamak head should cost $15 retail maximum. Didn't we get into this to NOT use cheap disposable razors?

I have been using my zamac Merkur 34c daily since 2000.
Guess what?
I have NEVER droped it on the floor or on the counter.
It still looks brand new (only thing I do is wipe it thoroughly with toilet paper every Saturday morning when I change the blade).
I bought it for $30 so I guess it is WAY past its natural depreciation time anyhow.....

I bought 2 razors made of zamak before I knew what it was all about. Later, I ended up trading for a Muhle R41 just because I wanted to try it out. Other than that, I won't buy one anymore. All stainless or brass, or plated brass. I just don't trust in plated zamak. Plating doesn't last forever and once it's gone or compromised, throw it away. I know there's a lot of people that do like them, but I am just one of those that don't. If my Muhle or Parker Variant lose any plating, nothing to do but toss it.

The more recent versions of the Muhle and Edwin Jagger razors use brass for the screw post, with the rest of the cap and the base plate made from zamak. It is possible to buy a replacement head for under $20 from some UK vendors.

The most common failure mode seemed to be the screw post breaking off. So, the manufacturers tried to address that problem.

Though I prefer all-brass or stainless construction, I have a Merkur razor that is probably 15 years old now that is still intact. Zamak is not necessarily the kiss of death.

R

romsitsa

It all depends on the quality of the metal mix, some will rot, others won’t. Pot metal needs more care, for sure, but there are few (imho worthy) razors, wich simply can’t be obtained in different materials.

For eg. this big boy is close to 90 and shows no sign of rot.
025517DF-E27D-4DE1-823B-E0D9A6CD696E.jpeg

Adam

I'm glad to hear that the center post is now all brass. It us a pity that EJ does not sell its handles separately.

The more recent versions of the Muhle and Edwin Jagger razors use brass for the screw post, with the rest of the cap and the base plate made from zamak. It is possible to buy a replacement head for under $20 from some UK vendors.

The most common failure mode seemed to be the screw post breaking off. So, the manufacturers tried to address that problem.

Though I prefer all-brass or stainless construction, I have a Merkur razor that is probably 15 years old now that is still intact. Zamak is not necessarily the kiss of death.

I've got a first generation MR-1 from Maggard Razors that's 5-6 years old. Used it regularly for about two years, then it became my travel razor. It's totally fine.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Yeah, there's different alloys. They're all eventually prone to corrosion if the conditions are right, but getting the right conditions for some alloys is easier than for others.

My beef with Zamak and other light alloys is mainly that I like a razor to have a bit more mass. Shaving grams off the mass with a light alloy goes right past me. But I also understand the economic and technical reasons why Zamak is so great for casting with moderate precision.

Like 98 per cent of everybody else I started with a Merkur. Quality razor, and I am a bit of a covert Merkur fanboy. My son has that razor now. I still have a Merkur in the pile; a vintage pre-1970 37 that's still in fine shape.

But my little heart goes pitty-pat for stainless razors.

O.H.

After watching one of my first new razors rot after the plating wore off of the threads, I've never bought another zamak razor. But I see a lot of posts about modern razors made of this cheap cast zinc that breaks when dropped to the counter, much less to the floor. The common solution it to buy backup razors for the inevitable failure. Wouldn't buying a quality razor in the first place be a better solution? And I see major brands selling these razors wildly overpriced, a zamak head should cost $15 retail maximum. Didn't we get into this to NOT use cheap disposable razors?
I have not seen many posts about razor heads breaking when dropped on the counter so that is an exaggeration. They do break at the threaded post when dropped to a hard floor but that is an inevitable failure of a shear fracture sometimes depending on the angle the razor hits the floor.
I have yet to drop any of my razors on the floor so perhaps I have been lucky. Edwin Jagger and Merkur do supply spares for their caps so that is a serviceable item. I have a number of razors bought so I can try different varieties of razors and not because I wanted replacements for a breakage. If a razor suffers a failure that is an acceptable loss. Zinc alloy has been an acceptable material for razors for many decades and properly look after, has a very acceptable life span. I always lubricate the threads on the cap post wiith light machine oil on a regular basis. I see that as preventative maintenance.
These are mere tools but many on the forums buy them for a variation or collection. A zinc alloy razor has more than recovered it's cost by the end of it's second year against a cartridge razor. On a life cycle costing basis it is easily ahead of a cartridge razor unless you choose to fall down the rabbit hole.

Dropping any razor is going to lead to bad results. Stainless razors don't break and they are more robust, but drops will still bend the safety bar, ding top cap corners, and make the razor unusable. And if the function isn't impaired, the aesthetics certainly can be. So sure, dropping your $40 Merkur might break the top cap, but dropping your $200 Blackbird could still put you in the same position. Just don't drop stuff.

Also, this idea that all Zamak razors shouldn't cost more $15 is just pulled from the air. I suspect you've never priced it out from a quality manufacturer or built in the wholesale markup, packaging, and other expenses. It's neither as cheap or as easy as you're thinking. The really cheap EJ and Merkur clones that cost $10 are almost always utter garbage.

Researching zamak, you will come across references to zinc pest and comments that this was traced to impurities in early zinc die casting materials.

Hence it is important that if you buy a razor that is made of zamak, you make sure it comes from a reputable manufacturer with tight quality control.
My current zamak razors come from Mühle and in many years of traditional shaving I have never had a case of zinc pest and neither do I remember complaints about such cases with this brand.

If people choose to avoid zamak because of concerns regarding the material it’s up to them, but I for my part refuse to participate in any unfounded zamak paranoia.

B.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Prices on Aluminum and Stainless razors have dropped to the point where some Zamak models are virtually the same price. Razorock has some nice choices in the sub $60 price range. If you want to stay around $30, you could always get a Fatip, or Parker TTO which are all brass.

I've been on the forums a little over a year and heard many stories of folks using zamak razors for years or decades without issue and there is also the occasional "it rotted away" "it broke when I dropped it" stories, but they pale in comparison to the "I used it happily for years" stories.

Some people can't handle owning something with a perceived/potential weak spot and others could care less. You just need to decide which group you are in and buy accordingly.

If a given zamak razor was the same price as a stainless one it would be a no brainer for me, stainless every time. I was actually seriously pondering a stainless after completing my training on a Wilkinson Sword Classic plastic razor. Fortunately I won a PiF on a Tech and I was sold....I found no need to look elsewhere. I'll just keep getting Tech's..if they ever break or wear out....66 years old and counting 🤔

I just had a muhle R41 (2013) that was ~2 years old have it's threads rot away so replaced it with a Muhle Rocca figuring that it was stainless and wouldn't rot like the R41. The problem was that it didn't work as good as the R41 so had to order a replacement head for the R41 anyway.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I just had a muhle R41 (2013) that was ~2 years old have it's threads rot away so replaced it with a Muhle Rocca figuring that it was stainless and wouldn't rot like the R41. The problem was that it didn't work as good as the R41 so had to order a replacement head for the R41 anyway.
You make a good point. There are several excellent shavers that are zamak. If you love one of them, it's going to be an expensive proposition trying X, Y and Z in stainless to duplicate what you like.

R

romsitsa

Zinc pest is not an issue, except for very low quality vintage razors.

Adam

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My primary razor is an Edwin Jagger DE3D14. That's not going to change out of fear of something not lasting for ever. It is now on its second cap, the first lasted around 6 or 7 years, so we're not exactly talking about disposable razors here. I already have a complete spare head for it, waiting for the call to action. I also have a Merkur open comb razor, and have a spare head for that too.

Fatips are all brass, and I know of two members here who had a location pin break off their Fatip, WITHOUT dropping it. Some of the all stainless razors are cast, and could still break if dropped. Just because something is NOT Zamak, doesn't make it indestructible, or mean that it will outlive you. However, my black plastic Wilkinson Sword Classic razor is still going strong 30 years on.

Zamak has given me my favourite razor, kept it affordable, and made spare parts easy on the bank balance too. Hate it all you want, but I love it.

The truth about zamak is that they can be and often are wonderful shavers. But those thinking a zamak razor no matter how finely crafted will be as durable as a solid stainless or brass razor are deluding themselves. Unplated raw zamak and water just don't mix. And a razors plating no matter how good can't last forever.

Top Bottom