What's new

Zamak razors - What do you feel about them?

Zamak Razors, what's your experience/opinion?

• Haven't had any problems - Would/Will purchase again

• Had problems - Wouldn't purchase again

• Had problems but Would/Will purchase again

• Never purchased but Would/Will purchase

• Never purchased and I'm not interested

• Art is King

• Haven't had any problems but won't purchase again

Results are only viewable after voting.
But it shows nearly 55% have owned Zamak razors and would buy them again regardless of whether they had problems or not, and a whopping 76% have never had any problems with them, regardless of their future intent.

I look at that as 55% like them and would buy again, and 45% won't buy again, couldn't care less, had a problem with Zamak, or think Art is king. :001_tt2:

I wonder how this poll would have come out had we changed the word Zamak for Stainless or brass?

I prefer Christopher's version. :lol:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Regardless of perspective, at least 76 percent of the voters in this poll have had no problem with these razors.

If i was a manufacturer that used Zamak, I think I'd be far more worried about the almost half of the market that won't buy it, or wont buy it again, as opposed to how many broke or had a problem.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If you were a manufacturer of Zamak razors, you'd be worried about the profit margin on your sales.
If sales dropped significantly, you might be worried about why and eventually decide that it's due to Zamak razors, but your cost benefit analysis would tell you that the number of people who are NOT buying don't make up for the decrease in profits you'd have from changing your entire production process to something other than Zamak.
Currently, I don't believe manufacturers like Muhle, Edwin-Jagger, Merkur etc are actually seeing a decrease in sales. It's my belief that they are seeing an INCREASE in sales due to a small resurgence of the use of these razors by people fed up with carts.
Evidence? If there was a decreasing market, people like Van Der Hagen and the folks who sell the Microtouch One (and others) wouldn't be doing start ups in this area.

I'd keep doing what I was doing for the market share that I had now and use Zamak still. No need to spend the hundreds of thousands on tooling, I'd outsource razors made with a different material, on a limited basis at first, and try to capture some of the 45% that won't buy my Zamak product.

I wonder if Zamak is always that bad... For example I have a dog leash with a heavy zinc clip from a Mendota dog leash (USA Made). I've dropped it numerous times on concrete, hardwood, tile floors and not to mention it is always banging against my dog's 1.5in collar's heavy stainless steel hardware and it is perfectly fine. I've had the thing for 2 years. It is a bit rough looking but still holding up.

I think there's at least two ways of looking at this data. One would be to look at the numbers in terms of Zamak as a metal that is or isn't inferior, based on how many people had problems with them, or wouldn't buy them because of the metal used. With those numbers I would agree that it really isn't about how many broke. According to this poll, slightly less than 10% have had problems. I would put that within the acceptable range ( high end ) from a vendors point of view.

The other way to look at the numbers is to view them from a market share stance. According to this poll 45% of the market wouldn't buy one or won't buy one again. From a manufacturer point of view, that would be a place to try and gain more of that share, unless they're happy with the status quo.

I examined my 6 zamac razors very closely this morning. I couldn't find even a hint of a problem with any of them. However, I do clean and dry after every use and I never leave a blade in any razor. I also have a large rotation so the use factor is not great. That said, 3 of them I wouldn't buy again only because I don't particularly like them (too mild) and have vintage razors that I like a lot more. But the 2 R41's and the Futur are favourites, so I would replace them. The ATT H2 looks great but is $185, whereas an R41 Grande can be had from Shaving.ie for a little over $40.

So in the 2 "Haven't had any problems" categories there would be multiple reasons for why they would or wouldn't buy again.

There's the rub - I think they are quite happy.

I would assume they are too. I would also think they'd be happier if they were able to have 10 out of 10 people looking at buying their product, instead of 5.5. I would agree that it would be a bad idea if they had to do it in house, but there are alternatives that could be profitable.

I think you might be reading too much into it. I don't want a modern razor because I can get a (to my mind) better or equal razor cheaper as very vintage.
Why buy a modern razor based on the 1904 patent, when I can buy a razor built when the patent was around?
Zamak is only one consideration.

Voted 'haven't had any problems, would purchase again'. I'd rather have another material if it's available. But if I happen to like a particular razor and the cost isn't outrageous I'll buy it anyway. I just won't expect it to last forever.
+1 My feelings exactly

Great poll. I voted that I haven't had problems but wouldn't buy one again anyways, although that's not 100% true… I MIGHT buy another if it was something really special, but I'm really not inclined to. I'd rather go for old vintage or modern stainless… it's just not worth it to worry about the longevity of these things because they are made out of a cheap metal, IMO.

For me it's a matter of perception. My EJ89 may well last for years, and to be honest I only paid £15 for it to begin with so it wouldn't be the end of the world if it ate itself. I just don't like buying things that aren't built to last. My New is made of brass, it's about 80 years old and after a replate it looks like new and I have no doubt it'll be good for another 80 years.

Merkur expects a lifespan of about 20 years for their zamak razors.

Gillette gave a lifetime guarantee on their brass razors back in the 1950ies.

So what?

There are Futur clones out there that are made out of brass, a Merkur 3 - piece slant made out of brass or better out of stainless would be awesome.

Last edited:
Top Bottom