What's new

Zamak razors - What do you feel about them?

Zamak Razors, what's your experience/opinion?

• Haven't had any problems - Would/Will purchase again

• Had problems - Wouldn't purchase again

• Had problems but Would/Will purchase again

• Never purchased but Would/Will purchase

• Never purchased and I'm not interested

• Art is King

• Haven't had any problems but won't purchase again

Results are only viewable after voting.
They serve as good razors for the price. Yes, nothing shaves like a vintage gillette. I will always keep my DE89 around, if anything more than a good travel razor that can also be used in daily rotation.

I have had no problems with zamac razors, but I wouldn't miss my EJ89, Merkur 38C or Merkur Slant. If they were released in stainless steel models, I wouln't duplicate or replace them. But I won't give up my R41's or my Futur. If they come out in stainless I'll be first in the queue for duplicates.

While stainless would be great, to be fair, the Poll is currently showing over 75% with no problem and less than 10% with problems.

I feel that the majority of that 40% are the ones who use vintage razors such as gillette etc..

26% never had problems, but won't purchase again, 10% are not even interested in trying, and 5% had problems and won't purchase again.
In my opinion those 10% that are not even willing to try might be the ones preferring the vintage razors instead, all the others have tried them.
As I said, not included in those 40% are at least two persons who voted "Art is King" but won't purchase Zamak again either.

If you ask me, I am surprised ... 40% of 118 is quite a significant number IMO, I thought the number would be lower.

40% of 118 is quite a significant number IMO, I thought the number would be lower.

So did I. After several posts by experts (onotoman and others) I thought that it would take several years more before the negative sides of zamak were obvious to members here.

On the other hand if you are aware of the lifespan of zamak when you buy the razor it's no big deal. I was not, being totally ignorant of metallurgy in practice. I was shocked when I found out the hard way...

On the other hand if you are aware of the lifespan of zamak when you buy the razor it's no big deal.

Precisely, Bosse! One of the reasons I started this poll was exactly to know if people mind its shorter lifespan or not. To each their own, and people are free to buy whatever they wish, but everybody should at least make a well informed purchase.

26% never had problems, but won't purchase again, 10% are not even interested in trying, and 5% had problems and won't purchase again.
In my opinion those 10% that are not even willing to try might be the ones preferring the vintage razors instead, all the others have tried them.
As I said, not included in those 40% are at least two persons who voted "Art is King" but won't purchase Zamak again either.

If you ask me, I am surprised ... 40% of 118 is quite a significant number IMO, I thought the number would be lower.

I'm rather surprised as well. And since you say that only 10% of those use vintage razors exclusively, that must mean that the rest(30%) use modern stainless steel razors! This comes as a bigger shocker to me! I never imagined that modern SS razors would grab 30% of the market.

I'm rather surprised as well. And since you say that only 10% of those use vintage razors exclusively, that must mean that the rest(30%) use modern stainless steel razors! This comes as a bigger shocker to me! I never imagined that modern SS razors would grab 30% of the market.

It can also be the other way around ... 10% that use modern SS razors, and 30% that mainly uses vintage razors ... It's hard to figure out, that would require another poll ... :laugh:

I've had 3 Zamek razors, two Merkurs and a Cadet OC. Both Merkurs I found to be of subpar quality. The Futur started corroding where the handle rotates to adjust the blade closeness. The 180 had a bent handle and honestly too expensive for what it was.

I voted "have had problems but will buy again"

Simply because of the Cadet OC. I feel that razor is more fairly priced, and indeed the finish on it was par excellence, superior to Merkur and 1/3 the cost.

It can also be the other way around ... 10% that use modern SS razors, and 30% that mainly uses vintage razors ... It's hard to figure out, that would require another poll ... :laugh:

I think 10% - SS razors and 30% - vintage razors makes more sense.
But as you said we'll would require another poll to know for sure :D

I only use GEMs and injectors. My first razor was a Merkur 1904 which I owned for 6 months.I knocked it over from the sink countertop to the inside of the sink- it broke. My GEM Micromatic fell from the countertop onto the ceramic tile floor. Not even a scuff. I think the floor broke instead :lol: I won't buy a pot metal razor again... I suggest to people that they buy them used if they are going to buy them- that way they are not supporting the company to make such low quality products out of greed. Maybe if people start boycotting their products they will make brass razors instead.

Last edited:
Voted 'haven't had any problems, would purchase again'. I'd rather have another material if it's available. But if I happen to like a particular razor and the cost isn't outrageous I'll buy it anyway. I just won't expect it to last forever.

Thank you very much once again, everyone! I think the results won't change too much, but at this point, and counting myself and another member who voted "Art is King" but won't purchase Zamak again.

Overall would or will purchase again: 70 votes.

Overall won't purchase again/not even interested : 55 votes.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Yes ... but it is also showing at least 40% who won't purchase again, or are not even interested ... :tongue_sm

But it shows nearly 55% have owned Zamak razors and would buy them again regardless of whether they had problems or not, and a whopping 76% have never had any problems with them, regardless of their future intent.

But it shows nearly 55% have owned Zamak razors and would buy them again regardless of whether they had problems or not, and a whopping 76% have never had any problems with them, regardless of their future intent.

I look at that as 55% like them and would buy again, and 45% won't buy again, couldn't care less, had a problem with Zamak, or think Art is king. :001_tt2:

I wonder how this poll would have come out had we changed the word Zamak for Stainless or brass?

Top Bottom