What's new

Zamak razors - What do you feel about them?

Zamak Razors, what's your experience/opinion?

• Haven't had any problems - Would/Will purchase again

• Had problems - Wouldn't purchase again

• Had problems but Would/Will purchase again

• Never purchased but Would/Will purchase

• Never purchased and I'm not interested

• Art is King

• Haven't had any problems but won't purchase again

Results are only viewable after voting.
I voted: Haven't had any problems - Would/Will purchase again

Honestly, I'm not sure which razors I have that are Zamak, but I'm sure I have at least a couple. I like all the razors I have and haven't had an issue with them.

EDIT: After reading all the way through, I'm guessing all of my modern razors are Zamac. My answer still stands though, I like them. I've got a couple of vintage Gillettes, and honestly those kind of gross me out, and they look worse than the pics showing terrible Zamac damage. Meh. Whatever. To each their own. If one of my modern razors breaks I'll have a good time replacing it.

Last edited:
Very interesting results. More people than I thought won't buy or are not interested.

Thanks everyone for their input so far! :thumbup1:

For me, there are just so many classic Gillettes that I won't look at any modern razors. Just my 2 cents and YMMV.

Out of a stable of about 14 razors I only have three that have zamak in them - my Futur, R41, and Merkur 39C. My Gillette Old SC matches my R41 for close shaves.

For me, the only one I would miss is the Futur. I had it powder coated satin black so maybe it will outlast me.

Some of the finest razors made today such as Edwin jagger de89, muhle r41, merkur slants, etc dont have a exact replica in brass/stainless steel. They don't have an exact vintage counterpart either. So there is no avoiding zamak razors for me.

i am not a fan of zamak, but i haven't had any problems either.
I'll continue to buy zamak razors, but i'll definitely avoid expensive zamak ones such as the futur or vision. The cost to longevity ratio doesnt go well with me for these expensive ones.

Some of the finest razors made today such as Edwin jagger de89, muhle r41, merkur slants, etc dont have a exact replica in brass/stainless steel. They don't have an exact vintage counterpart either. So there is no avoiding zamak razors for me.

I understand and respect your opinion of course, but here's what I think the alternatives could be:

EJ DE89/Muhle R89 - Weber, only slightly more aggressive, according to what I've read.

Muhle R41 - ATT H2, this will be in my future, for sure.

Slants : RazoRock Stealth slant.

There's always an option, IMO.

I have a 34c and an EJ89 that I got at a good price on another forum. They get occasional use, but I am always disappointed that underneath the plating lurks a cheap alloy. The rest of my razors are either vintage brass or modern stainless, and that's what I'll be sticking with.

I would pay more for a better-built razor if any of the manufacturers started using brass.

I plan to get rid of my Zamak razors, except:
- Muhle R41 (2011)
- Muhle R41 (2013)
- Merkur Progress
- Merkur 37C (slant)

Zamak razors are only as good as their owners meaning if you clean and dry after each use issues will be minimum. If you put these away wet the life expectancy is greatly diminished.

+1 if you are rough on your stuff I would avoid them. However I clean and dry and take care of my razors so I don't have any issues with the ZAMAK razors. My EJ DE89L will hopefully last quite a few years as long as I take care of it.

I have one, the Razorock Jaws.

It gives a good shave, but in comparisons I prefer my vintage razors.

The new razors are great for travel razors, if it is lost or damaged they are quick and easy to replace.

I haven't had any problems, and will probably purchase one again. However, I will NOT spend a lot of money on a zamack razor. So while some are beautiful, I won't bite because it's not going to last any longer than, say, the Maggard I use currently.

I understand and respect your opinion of course, but here's what I think the alternatives could be:

EJ DE89/Muhle R89 - Weber, only slightly more aggressive, according to what I've read.

Muhle R41 - ATT H2, this will be in my future, for sure.

Slants : RazoRock Stealth slant.

There's always an option, IMO.

Out of the 3 you suggested I have only used the weber.
I don't have the funds for an ATT at the moment and I was fast asleep when the razorock Slant went on sale.

The weber is similar to the EJ, but not exactly the same. The difference is not much but it's enough for me to know that it's not my beloved EJ.

If EJ or any company decided to make a exact replica of the de89 in stainless steel or brass, I would buy it in a jiffy and never look back.

And while razorock is a slant, I don't think it's comparable to the merkur slant because it is supposedly very mild and light. I think that the feel will be quite different. (Again, I have come to this conclusion only by reading reviews. I have not actually used one.)

Last edited:
Roughly 40% of the voters won't purchase or simply aren't interested, not counting myself and Christopher, as we voted Art is King, but also won't purchase again.

I purchase inexpensive razors; Cadets, Sabi, Lords, etc.. So I treat them as consumables. If I lose one on a trip I'll be a little sad, but I'll go buy another. I'm from the day when they were inexpensive.

That being said, someday I would like a short-comb New...just because. That one will last me a lifetime.

Spending $100+ on a three-piece razor is, in my opinion, frivolous but to each his own.

To be honest I was bit disappointed when I found out that my new Muhle R89 Grande was made out of Zamak. I wanted a quality made razor that would last generations, not cheap and mass produced like most things these days. I gave the Razor to my brother in the end along with some soap and a brush as a gift. I now own a 1952 Gillette SS and a Kronos ATT. Two quality made products.

As I've said elsewhere, I like razors that are built to last. Zamak razors aren't. I bought an Edwin Jagger once but soon replaced it with a stainless steel Weber, which is heavier, is prettier, shaves better, and will outlive me. I've bought a cheap Utopia and a cheap Cadet OC just for the nice brass handles, but the Cadet OC shaves so nicely that I'll continue using the zamak head until it self-destructs.

The thing that gets me is how a cast zinc razor can cost $40-50.

The price of most things has little to do with the cost to manufacture. The selling price is set by what the market will bear. That said, there is some amount of hand work involved in making these razors (probably some polishing and packaging at a minimum), and for the German examples, at relatively high labor rates, as compared to China and India. The Cadets/Parkers are cheaper, although not quite as well finished.

Top Bottom