What's new

Zamak razors - What do you feel about them?

Zamak Razors, what's your experience/opinion?

• Haven't had any problems - Would/Will purchase again

• Had problems - Wouldn't purchase again

• Had problems but Would/Will purchase again

• Never purchased but Would/Will purchase

• Never purchased and I'm not interested

• Art is King

• Haven't had any problems but won't purchase again

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hello Gents,

This is something largely discussed, but I haven't seen a poll on this matter,probably it was done before, I just never saw one.

Please note this is not meant to start any arguments, I am just curious to know what you guys feel about these razors.
Please feel free to vote and comment if so inclined.

I only have two Zamak razors, and I am happy with them so far.
I will most likely never buy another one though. It is not a secret that I prefer vintage razors, made out of brass. Other than the fantastic stainless steel offers such as Weber and ATT, the vintage Gillette build quality remains unmatched, IMHO.

Last edited:
I've had three zamak razors go bad on me since I bought the first one in 1980.

Two were Merkurs and one of them was not treated gently, it was stored in a cold attic in Finland for two winters. Both 'rotted' from inside. One after a few years and the second after three years.

The third was a Jagger or Mühle. It was knocked over by our cat and fell 10 cm (4 inches) from the stand onto the sink and broke off the top plate.

I have owned some more zamak razors but sold and PIFed them. Presently I own none and will not do so in the future either.

This one's a toughy. I voted "Haven't had any problems - Would/Will purchase again", but I'm still not a fan of Zamack. I've not had any problems so far, but then, I rotate quite a bit, so my Zamack razors haven't really been heavily challenged. I don't think they'll be worthy of passing on to my heirs. Never is a long time, so I wasn't willing to say I'd never buy one again. How's that for on the fence! :). My focus is squarely on vintage razors and stainless, given the lack of brass razors (other than the Fatip which I already have).

This doesn't mean I don't love my R41 or my Merkur Slant, or my Cadets. I'm just saddened by their likely lack of longevity.

Last edited:
Zamak seems to me like "planned obsolescence". You know that it will, in all reality, not last forever. It is almost like buying a Mach3, you know that the plastic is eventually going to fail.
From a consumer standpoint, I would much rather spend a little extra on a razor that was made with better materials. Plated brass will eventually lose its plating, but the integrity of the brass will not change. I bought a Parker 26C thinking it was all brass. I traded a straight for a 2011 R41. But I don't plan on buying a Zamak razor again. YMMV, and that's my preference. SS or vintage brass razors is what I will buy in the future.

I have never before heard of them.

It sounds like I have not missed much.

Mickey

It's not a brand or model, it's a zinc-alloy used in Mekur, Muhle, Edwin Jagger, and many others. It degrades rapidly once it's exposed to the wet-shaving environment, as opposed to the brass of vintage razors or modern stainless-steel ones. The zinc-alloy is also more brittle, which is why some have had the threaded stud snap off from the top plate.

Missing an option. :)

I have purchased and own several. I have not had any issues with them.

Since I've moved to stainless, I like those a lot better. I don't like the corrosion element of the Zamac and want to keep things Brass, Stainless, or Aluminum for the most part.

That said, if I see something I really want to try like a old Hoffritz or vintage Merkur, I may give them a try. That and maybe a few Italian Barber razors as Joe has some top notch stuff there.

I've sold or traded all of my Zamak stuff away, and probably not buy them again, unless I used one for a travel razor.

Art is king

Much ado about nothing as far as I can see. I feel for you if you are/were unfortuntate and had a problem, but most of the Zamak razors are likely to last my life time. Even if they don't, the price point is low and it is not a hardship to replace one, much like the head on an electric razor or the cartridges on many of the mass market razors.

I've never used a modern razor. Nothing against them at all, just haven't bothered. At some point I'm sure my RAD will lead me down that rabbit hole :)

Zamak is a cheap alloy and is used to cut costs. I've never owned a Zamak razor but have had several guitars with Zamak whammy bars and they have broken quickly. The vintage steel bars they used through the 80's essentially never break. Due to this, I wouldn't knowingly buy anything made out of Zamak. At least not anything I was planning on keeping for any length of time.

Top Bottom